Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:12 pm

New Club access policy, or bad luck?

I seem to only run into this problem at SFO, but I usually keep my UA FF# on my boarding pass, and present a screenshot of another *A carrier for the lounge access on domestic flights. Run into no problems at any other US airport, but SFO seems preetty set on having the mileage program that grants your lounge access on your BP. This seems to have started fairly recently, unless I'm just drawing bad lounge agents?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you have *A Gold by earning being Gold or above in MP, you should not be getting access with a wholly domestic itinerary. If you're flying from SFO to LHR via EWR, yes, you need to show your MP credentials to get in at SFO.

"SFO seems preetty set on having the mileage program that grants your lounge access on your BP" - I should hope so.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by djtsukasa
I seem to only run into this problem at SFO, but I usually keep my UA FF# on my boarding pass, and present a screenshot of another *A carrier for the lounge access on domestic flights. Run into no problems at any other US airport, but SFO seems preetty set on having the mileage program that grants your lounge access on your BP. This seems to have started fairly recently, unless I'm just drawing bad lounge agents?
Don't need to have it on your BP. What rule are they quoting?
It could be that they are being lazy bc they have to type it in, as opposed to scanning a BP or swiping a card.
Try e-mailing UA customer service for clarification, then printing out the answer and showing it to the agents.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you have *A Gold by earning being Gold or above in MP, you should not be getting access with a wholly domestic itinerary. If you're flying from SFO to LHR via EWR, yes, you need to show your MP credentials to get in at SFO.

"SFO seems preetty set on having the mileage program that grants your lounge access on your BP" - I should hope so.
The OP is not using their MP status to get into the lounge on a domestic itin.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Do you have a card or other credentials besides the screenshot from the other *A carrier? It may be that the agents are squeamish about accepting a photograph as proof.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Yes, which is why I'm using a different *A program to get in, and why I pointed out that it is a domestic itinerary.

Originally Posted by izzik
Don't need to have it on your BP. What rule are they quoting?
It could be that they are being lazy bc they have to type it in, as opposed to scanning a BP or swiping a card.
Try e-mailing UA customer service for clarification, then printing out the answer and showing it to the agents.

The OP is not using their MP status to get into the lounge on a domestic itin.
No real "rule" they mentioned, they just said "oh we need the actual card, or we have to change the FF# on the BP." This happened twice, once at the Terminal 3 UA Club 10 days ago, and today at the Intl Terminal club. The first time, they said they're worried about "photoshop." I thought well if you type the number in you'd see that it's legit.... haha.

Good idea on asking customer service! Never had this problem before. Other airports just type it in for me. Maybe SFO is so busy they just make their own rules up.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by meducate
Do you have a card or other credentials besides the screenshot from the other *A carrier? It may be that the agents are squeamish about accepting a photograph as proof.
I actually don't.... although it is Copa's program due to the match a few months back and I'm not sure that they issue cards? Maybe it wouldn't hurt to throw some miles their way so they can issue me a card.

But, like I posted earlier I can somewhat understand them being afraid of "fakes," but if they input it they'll see it goes through in their system sooo.....
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:39 pm

I actually don't.... although it is Copa's program due to the match a few months back and I'm not sure that they issue cards? Maybe it wouldn't hurt to throw some miles their way so they can issue me a card.

But, like I posted earlier I can somewhat understand them being afraid of "fakes," but if they input it they'll see it goes through in their system sooo.....
I hear ya. I enter enough UCs that I see how often the agents have to turn people away, so I can understand hesitation, however, I get your point!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:41 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by meducate
I hear ya. I enter enough UCs that I see how often the agents have to turn people away, so I can understand hesitation, however, I get your point!
Yeah! I primarily fly and have status on UA, so I'm giving them most of my business ya know..... change the access policy already!!!!

{S}aw that you're a GS member? Does the lounge policy for domestic itinerary apply to you guys too?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 1, 2016 at 11:46 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:49 pm

Sorry for the double posting but just saw that you're a GS member? Does the lounge policy for domestic itinerary apply to you guys too?
GS do not get domestic lounge access as a benefit.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Wait so you're crediting your flights to UA MP but you're using another program status to get into the UC?

Count me in the camp that feels this is a bit of a cheat.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Wait so you're crediting your flights to UA MP but you're using another program status to get into the UC?

Count me in the camp that feels this is a bit of a cheat.
Totally allowed by Star Alliance rules.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...No real "rule" they mentioned, they just said "oh we need the actual card, or we have to change the FF# on the BP." ...
Originally Posted by Kingston
Totally allowed by Star Alliance rules.
yes BUT
You will need to present your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport. If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need also to show your valid Star Alliance Gold card.
It is BP or *G card, but no screen shots.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes BUT
It is BP or *G card, but no screen shots.
Oh absolutely, I always carry physical cards just in case, but you don't need to credit to the same FF program as your *G card.
Virtual cards are usually ok. Screenshots are sketchy.
I had a LH agent ask me to interact with the UA app to prove that my card was valid and I didn't just take a screenshot.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:13 pm

Lax

I have a bunch of day passes I was going to use some at lax but reading about the construction and denial of day passes, I am now hesitant. We will be there at 5:30 am on a Saturday...would we be allowed in or should I use them at another airport? How bad is construction in lax lounge? Thanks
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Giddy00
I have a bunch of day passes I was going to use some at lax but reading about the construction and denial of day passes, I am now hesitant. We will be there at 5:30 am on a Saturday...would we be allowed in or should I use them at another airport? How bad is construction in lax lounge? Thanks
My guess is you shouldn't have a problem using passes Saturday a.m. (but I could be wrong). No harm in trying if you think its a good use of them. The breakfast spread is decent.

Construction is mostly at night and hidden behind walls and above the concourse. It's really not noticeable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.