Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 23, 18, 3:35 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 29, 18, 6:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
... Anyone know the specific United or *A rule? I can see the UC access being denied if a person deliberately breaks up an international trip with 24 hours or more in a U.S. city, but halting access during IRROPS seems a little punitive. (I suppose the systems might not be able to tell the difference.) Thanks.
The rules for *A and UCs both state "same day" which has generally meant a 24 hours window -- there is no published exception for UA or *A for irrops.
Old Dec 29, 18, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 18, 6:33 pm

Programs: MP
Would like a clarification as well. If the international itin is still incomplete, wouldnt the pax still be considered on international itin?

Also would this change at all if the prior (international segment) was on business?
Old Dec 29, 18, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pon18n View Post
Would like a clarification as well. If the international itin is still incomplete, wouldnt the pax still be considered on international itin?

That's not the basis for access. The rule says "same day" international departure, and UA has been enforcing it that way for several months now.
Originally Posted by pon18n View Post
Also would this change at all if the prior (international segment) was on business?
No
Old Dec 29, 18, 7:03 pm

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
That's not the basis for access. The rule says "same day" international departure, and UA has been enforcing it that way for several months now.No
Thats interesting. I guess I have been really fortunates then. I have had this happened to me at least a couple times and Ive always managed to gain access.

The lounge agent I talked to seem convinced and assure me that I should be able to gain access as well.

I guess the moral of the story is to keep trying different UC until you can convince someone to let you in.

Last edited by pon18n; Dec 29, 18 at 7:26 pm
Old Dec 29, 18, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
That's not the basis for access. The rule says "same day" international departure, and UA has been enforcing it that way for several months now.
I've only been *G since around mid-2017, but it seemed like I've been denied UC access on international itineraries a time or two this year when I was granted access in similar situations last year. If United tightened up at some point this year, that would likely explain it. Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 18, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
If United tightened up at some point this year, that would likely explain it. Thanks.
Yes, based on the consistent reports, at this point there seems little doubt they tightened it this year. It used to be enforced as 24 hours from the international departure.
Old Jan 2, 19, 5:50 pm

United Club Backdoors

Upon checking the United Club access website today I noticed a couple ways to get in "thru-the-backdoor":
  • Active US Military Personnel get access they either need to be dressed in uniform or present their R&R/leave orders to get in (seems like they could be flying any airline)
  • Amtrak Select Plus and Select Executive Members travelling on any flight
I can understand the former but can't quite understand the latter. How does being an elite frequent railer give you such powerful access? To attain SelectPlus you need to rail enough to earn 10,000 ($5,000 on rail every year) Tier Qualifying Points per year or 20,000 ($10,000 on rail every year) Tier Qualifying Points for Select Executive. In addition, once you hit Select Plus you earn points at a rate of 3 per $ spent meaning it's actually $3,333 per year to get that darn status. Quite surprising considering it takes at least $6000/year to earn UA Gold every year and that don't even give you domestic access to UCs.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 2, 19, 5:54 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.03MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
How does being an elite frequent railer give you such powerful access?
Corporate negotiations.
Old Jan 2, 19, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I can understand the former but can't quite understand the latter. ....
Long standing agreement for codesharing and cross-recognition of status / lounge access / ....

Earn MileagePlus Miles with Amtrak - United Airlines

Partners & Alliances | Amtrak

https://www.amtrak.com/station-lounges
United Club Members with a valid United Club Card are entitled to access ClubAcela locations and may bring in two guests or their spouses and children under the age of 21. United Global First or United BusinessFirst passengers with a flight coupon or boarding pass with a same-day, international segment in United Global First or United BusinessFirst are also entitled to ClubAcela access.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 2, 19 at 6:07 pm Reason: links
Old Jan 3, 19, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United Premier Gold
Upon checking the United Club access website today I noticed a couple ways to get in "thru-the-backdoor":
  • Active US Military Personnel get access they either need to be dressed in uniform or present their R&R/leave orders to get in (seems like they could be flying any airline)
  • Amtrak Select Plus and Select Executive Members travelling on any flight
I can understand the former but can't quite understand the latter. How does being an elite frequent railer give you such powerful access? To attain SelectPlus you need to rail enough to earn 10,000 ($5,000 on rail every year) Tier Qualifying Points per year or 20,000 ($10,000 on rail every year) Tier Qualifying Points for Select Executive. In addition, once you hit Select Plus you earn points at a rate of 3 per $ spent meaning it's actually $3,333 per year to get that darn status. Quite surprising considering it takes at least $6000/year to earn UA Gold every year and that don't even give you domestic access to UCs.

Safe Travels,

James
Reciprocal benefits related to their codeshares perhaps?
Old Jan 13, 22, 9:38 pm

This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 12, 22 at 12:17 am

Search this Thread