Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
No access at EWR in either direction. Access to the Polaris lounge at SFO on the outbound, no access at SFO on the return.
Thanks, I guess it's because I'm not flying UA metal? Otherwise I could get in at EWR and SFO on return?

Correct. You would actually get Polaris lounge access at both EWR and SFO if you were flying UA metal.
Wow. okay, thanks for clarifying.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 27, 2018 at 7:53 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:53 am

Correct. You would actually get Polaris lounge access at both EWR and SFO if you were flying UA metal.
Yes. For non-status pax, United metal Polaris ticket gets you in to Polaris and UCs at all connecting points. A partner business class ticket only gets you in at the airport the long-haul flight is departing from. It's stupid but that's how it works.

You will have access to the Polaris lounge when departing SFO-NRT which is nice.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Accor Silver, AC 75K
If I’m going from YYZ-ORD-SFO-OGG, will I have access to the United club? I’m booked in Business/First for the entire itinerary and I know that you normally would not get United club access on domestic US flights, but since mine involves international travel, would I be allowed to enter the United Club?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wrldtrav2013
If I’m going from YYZ-ORD-SFO-OGG, will I have access to the United club? I’m booked in Business/First for the entire itinerary and I know that you normally would not get United club access on domestic US flights, but since mine involves international travel, would I be allowed to enter the United Club?
If the YYZ-ORD is UA operated, yes. If AC operated, no (unless you have *G status)
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If the YYZ-ORD is UA operated, yes. If AC operated, no (unless you have *G status)
OP's profile says AC SE, so he would have access at all locations.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
OP's profile says AC SE, so he would have access at all locations.
Profiles are not always accurate but noted that option in the response.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Accor Silver, AC 75K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Thanks! And my SE 100K expired last year and I haven't had time to update my profile. Changed jobs so less travelling, but still booking in J/F for personal travel.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Flying BOS-ORD-TPE-HAN, where ORD-TPE-HAN is on EVA in business class, and BOS-ORD in on UA in Y. I know I'll have access to the Polaris lounge and contract EVA lounge in ORD, but will I also have access to the UA club at BOS, even though that outbound segment is in Y? I've found conflicting information outside of FT, and the one post I've located here indicates yes, but is several years old. Primarily a OW flyer, so not familiar with *A/UA rules. TIA!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SANbound
Flying BOS-ORD-TPE-HAN, where ORD-TPE-HAN is on EVA in business class, and BOS-ORD in on UA in Y. I know I'll have access to the Polaris lounge and contract EVA lounge in ORD, but will I also have access to the UA club at BOS, even though that outbound segment is in Y? I've found conflicting information outside of FT, and the one post I've located here indicates yes, but is several years old. Primarily a OW flyer, so not familiar with *A/UA rules. TIA!
Not unless you have Star Alliance Gold status, either through UA or another Star Alliance airline. (This would still be the case if BOS-ORD were in J -- no access).
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by jsloan
Not unless you have Star Alliance Gold status, either through UA or another Star Alliance airline. (This would still be the case if BOS-ORD were in J -- no access).
Thanks for the quick reply! A little OT, but I'm guessing that also means we can't use business class check in either?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SANbound
Thanks for the quick reply! A little OT, but I'm guessing that also means we can't use business class check in either?
There's no "Business Class" check in, but you shouldn't get push back from using the Premier Access check-in since the 2nd leg (I assume same ticket) is Business.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:05 pm

UC One-Time Pass and Star Alliance Airline

Hello, All. No status on United or Singapore Air. Taking a flight out of Houston to Singapore (layover Manchester) on Singapore Air. Can I use a one-time pass at the United Club Lounge when flying Premium Economy on Singapore Air? Which specific club/ terminal would accept this? Singapore Air lists their partner lounges as Polaris Lounge (Terminal E) for business class passengers and UC Lounge (terminals C & E) for PPS and Gold members.

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can use any of the United Clubs at IAH. Closest ones to your D departure gate will be the E and C-North UCs. You won’t have access to the United Polaris Lounge with a United Club pass.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 10, 2018 at 1:12 pm Reason: speling
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
I have a question about child access to the club. We will be traveling with our niece and I have a club membership. How is a "dependent child" defined in this context? Would it be the strictly legal definition of "dependent"? Or would a child in our care during travel be considered a dependent in this case?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gayste
I have a question about child access to the club. We will be traveling with our niece and I have a club membership. How is a "dependent child" defined in this context? Would it be the strictly legal definition of "dependent"? Or would a child in our care during travel be considered a dependent in this case?
They don't ask for proof. If you present the spawn as you daughter (and the age difference looks plausible), you usually won't be challenged. If agent brings up subject of name difference should they scan nieces BP, maybe it's a product of your wife's premarital wildness and you haven't gotten around to renaming it

If you would rather be honest, UA does want to restrict entry in such cases to immediate family members, i.e. your spawn, not someone elses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.