Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 1kprem
I'm on a single int'l ticket validated on UA starting from TUN, ending at EDI. The routing is : TUN-LH-X/FRA-LH-O/IAD-UA-X/SFO-UA-O/LIH-UA-X/DEN-UA-O/DCA//IAD-UA-EDI all in business class the whole way. Being *G on UA I should be okay with LH lounge at my connection at FRA. For the domestic USA stops, being on an international ticket, would I get any UC access at SFO and/or DEN?
I agree with Kacee that I don't really follow your routing description. As a UA*G you certainly have access to *A lounges in TUN, FRA, and IAD (prior to flying to EDI). You always have access to the LH lounge at IAD, but will have no access in DEN, SFO, or DCA assuming that your use of O/XXX indicates a stopover or fare break that is not a same-day transfer.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Believe you should have UC access simply for being in business class. ....
Without status or UC membership, UC access depends on departure flight. One exception if the international business flight was UA operated, then you have connecting city UC access -- but that does not appear to be the case for the outbound.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
Sorry for not being clear on the routing.

I am United Platinum status.

I am on a single business class ticket issued for travel Tunis to Lihue, Hawaii to Edinburgh with stopovers at IAD each way. On the way from Tunis to Lihue, I am on LH metal TUN to IAD via FRA and for the rest of the flights I am on United the whole way.
I stopover at IAD for 1 month before going to LIH via SFO, and from LIH to IAD I connect at DEN. I stopover at IAD for 2 months and then proceed IAD to EDI where I end the trip. This is a through business class fare TUN-LIH-EDI on one single ticket that allows for the stopovers at IAD each way. In other words, there are no domestic point-to-point fares or separate tickets involved in the fare.

So would UA consider me a domestic or international traveler for the purposes of using the UC at SFO and DEN, my connecting points to/from LIH out of IAD.

Thanks to all for your help/guidance.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Sorry for not being clear on the routing.

I am United Platinum status.

I am on a single business class ticket issued for travel Tunis to Lihue, Hawaii to Edinburgh with stopovers at IAD each way. On the way from Tunis to Lihue, I am on LH metal TUN to IAD via FRA and for the rest of the flights I am on United the whole way.
I stopover at IAD for 1 month before going to LIH via SFO, and from LIH to IAD I connect at DEN. I stopover at IAD for 2 months and then proceed IAD to EDI where I end the trip. This is a through business class fare TUN-LIH-EDI on one single ticket that allows for the stopovers at IAD each way. In other words, there are no domestic point-to-point fares or separate tickets involved in...

So would UA consider me a domestic or international traveler for the purposes of using the UC at SFO and DEN, my connecting points to/from LIH out of IAD.

Makes it a lot easier. You have no United Club access after arrival at IAD from Europe until day of departure to EDI. You have no United Club access prior to any of your domestic U.S. flights.

Your Washington stopovers basically sever Club access during your nested Kauai trip, although you get access prior to IAD-SFO at LH or TK lounges (may not be open when you are there).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 2, 2018 at 5:11 pm
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

You are domestic for WAS-LIH-WAS. The policy is for "same day" travel as the overwater segment - if there are no stopovers on the itinerary then you can often try to stretch around a 23h overnight, but with a multi-day (or month) stopover then it very clearly is a break in travel. Same fare component makes no difference.

Note that you have access to the LH and TK lounges at IAD even when flying domestically, on the basis of being UA*G.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: Mileageplus
Thanks. It’s crystal clear now.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Lounge usage while flying Hong Kong Airlines

Hi All,

I see a lot of tickets on united.com to SE Asia where flights go to HKG and then continue to KUL, HKT, BKK etc on Hong Kong Airlines.
I'm *G and when waiting for the last leg of the flight ex HKG on Hong Kong Airlines, do I have access to Star Alliance lounge at HKG airport?

Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
To have access as *G per *A rules to a lounge in HKG, you must be departing on an *A flight. If departing on non-*A, you will not have access
Star Alliance Gold Customers travelling in any class
As a Star Alliance Gold customer, you have access to any member airline lounge that displays the Star Alliance Gold logo. You will need to present your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport. If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need also to show your valid Star Alliance Gold card. You are entitled to a maximum of one guest.
Exception is if you flew UA Polaris or UA *G to HKG, you would have access to the UC at HKG.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 3, 2018 at 6:37 pm Reason: Duh -- UA *G exception
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To have access as *G to a lounge in HKG, you must be departing on an *A flight. If departing on non-*A, you will not have access

one exception is if you flew UA Polaris to HKG, you would have access to the UC at HKG.
Thank you. So simply, I wont have access to the lounge. I guess I have to fly via NRT.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Thank you. So simply, I wont have access to the lounge. I guess I have to fly via NRT.
If you have free priority club access via credit cards [Chase CSR, Citi etc.], then you can use one of several Premium Lounges in Hkg.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Hi All,

I see a lot of tickets on united.com to SE Asia where flights go to HKG and then continue to KUL, HKT, BKK etc on Hong Kong Airlines.
I'm *G and when waiting for the last leg of the flight ex HKG on Hong Kong Airlines, do I have access to Star Alliance lounge at HKG airport?

Thanks
If you have access, the Centurion Lounge at HKG is very nice, and blows away any *G lounge. They make first rate cocktails. Also have a very nice shower facility, but only one so it can get overbooked. Otherwise, if just *G, Japan is a possibility, but often times the flights don't line up well. Having just gone SFO-HKG-KUL (on CX) the lack of any good *A options other than EVA was a surprise. I expected to be able to connect in NRT or ICN and nothing worked other than with very long layovers.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:10 pm

Curious why can't you show your previous *A flight ticket stub as proof for entry? Entry valid for 24h right?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I would not choose flights based solely on lounge access. Flight schedules and other factors seems to be more important, not to mention PQM, PQD and RDM considerations.

That being said, if NRT works better for you, ANA Lounges at NRT will do just nicely.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dnotes
Curious why can't you show your previous *A flight ticket stub as proof for entry? Entry valid for 24h right?
where is the fairy tale originating? You have access for departing flights on *A carriers. There is very limited special arrangement arrival access as well when arriving in UA Polaris (not a *G benefit).
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're a UA *G you should be able to use the UC if you show them your arriving BP on a *A carrier, I know the domestic clubs allow access on international arrivals of *A flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.