Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Marcin83
Hey. I have another question.
Can a *G (LH) enter the UA Club upon arrival (on UA/*A flight, of course)? I´ve read somewhere that indeed, but I don´t believe it.

Thx
If your itinerary includes* an international segment in a premium cabin on United metal, you may access United Clubs at your destination (as well as origin and connection points), regardless of whether other segments are domestic. For the Polaris Lounge, the segment needs to be in Polaris (regular UCs can be done in short-haul United Business).

If *G in Y, then you need a departing boarding pass.

*wording is "same-day" as the international flight.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
My wife if flying FRA-DEN in J on LH, connecting to a domestic flight on UA (in Y).

Am I right in thinking she won't be able to use the United Club in DEN, since the access policy says "Customers may only access a United Club location at the departure airport for their business class flight."?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by swiftaw
My wife if flying FRA-DEN in J on LH, connecting to a domestic flight on UA (in Y).

Am I right in thinking she won't be able to use the United Club in DEN, since the access policy says "Customers may only access a United Club location at the departure airport for their business class flight."?
Correct, unless she is also *G. It's the same even if the UA domestic connection were in F.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:31 pm

No club access when on international first class?

Sorry I'm at the airport so search is diffixult. I'm on a UA award ticket from Frankfurt to tampa in LH first. I got off LH in IAD and was told no club access. Is that truly the case? Didn't feel like arguing since it's only an hour wait but just wanna know
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:37 pm

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx
First class on a Star Alliance™ member airline: Customers may only access a United Club location at the departure airport for their first class flight.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by omaralt
Sorry I'm at the airport so search is diffixult. I'm on a UA award ticket from Frankfurt to tampa in LH first. I got off LH in IAD and was told no club access. Is that truly the case? Didn't feel like arguing since it's only an hour wait but just wanna know
Star Alliance rules for access to departure lounges is based on your departure flight. As you are departing on a domestic flight and apparent do not have *G status, then no access.

Note if you had arrived UA premium cabin flightt, UA has a special rule for its arriving premium cabin passengers and you would have had UC access.

As a LH arrival passenger, you might try the LH lounge at IAD and they may allow you access to their lounge.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:39 pm

Seems weird. But after experiencing LH FCT and FC on the 748 it's all downhill from here lol

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Star Alliance rules for access to departure lounges is based on your departure flight. As you are departing on a domestic flight and apparent do not have *G status, then no access.

Note if you had arrived UA premium cabin flightt, UA has a special rule for its arriving premium cabin passengers and your would have had UC access.
good to know. Thanks

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 2017 at 7:42 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Seems weird. But after experiencing LH FCT and FC on the 748 it's all downhill from here lol

There's no capacity in the UCs to give access to every *A J/F customer arriving and connecting to a domestic USA flight.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Seems weird....
Not weird - most lounges worldwide are departure lounges for access privileges. Good thing you didn't feel like arguing - you had no case. And you're right - it would have been disappointing relative to LH lounge and in-flight service.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Not weird - most lounges worldwide are departure lounges for access privileges. Good thing you didn't feel like arguing - you had no case. And you're right - it would have been disappointing relative to LH lounge and in-flight service.
Really doesn't seem weird that I'm on a very expensive international first class ticket bought from united and flying united first class (domestic) and don't have lounge access?

im literally flying on the most expensive ticket (greater than $10k one way) in the highest possible class of service on all flights and don't have access to a lounge from the carrier that I purchased the ticket for. If that doesn't strike you as weird then I don't know what to say

Last edited by omaralt; Sep 14, 2017 at 5:14 am
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
im literally flying on the most expensive ticket (greater than $10k one way) in the highest possible class of service on all flights and don't have access to a lounge from the carrier that I purchased the ticket for. If that doesn't strike you as weird then I don't know what to say
US domestic lounge access rules are bizarre. It's a quirk of history.

Here's a more recent survey of how the US market for airline lounges is unique.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
US domestic lounge access rules are bizarre. It's a quirk of history.

Here's a more recent survey of how the US market for airline lounges is unique.
it really is funny seeing the difference between european and american domestic FC products. in Europe the seats suck (economy seats with middle blocked off) but most flights have a full meal service and lounge access. in the US you get nicer seats but usually no meal service (only on longer flights during certain hours) and no lounge access.. now if we could only combine the two..
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Really doesn't seem weird that I'm on a very expensive international first class ticket bought from united and flying united first class (domestic) and don't have lounge access?
To echo others, you really didn't miss anything at all. The United Clubs at IAD are truly awful. And no showers.

The LH lounge, which is much nicer but a bit of a hike, would have let you in.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
To echo others, you really didn't miss anything at all. The United Clubs at IAD are truly awful. And no showers.

The LH lounge, which is much nicer but a bit of a hike, would have let you in.
ya i know they're nothing special but still seems idiotic. i wanted to try out the TK lounge in B terminal (i've heard great things about it and they are part of priority pass) but was too far from my D gate
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
ya i know they're nothing special but still seems idiotic
It's not UA's rule, it's a *A rule. Alliance wide. *A lounges are departure lounges.

Many carriers offer broader access if you're flying long-haul premium cabin on their metal. If you had been flying UA metal TATL (in J or F), you could have gotten in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.