Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
Many Thanks WineCountryUA, much appreciated
Old May 10, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA 3MM/PLAT; UA 1MM/1K
I'm sure this is answered somewhere above but I am confused from reading the Star Alliance lounge rules and just want to check. I am flying AUS-SFO-SIN and return, with AUS-SFO-AUS on UA and SFO-SIN-SFO on SQ - in coach class. I am UA 1K, and thus *G. I understand that I will be able to use the lounges in SFO outbound and SIN on return, but will I be able to use the UA lounge in SFO for my 4hr layover on the way back.

Star Alliance lounge access guide says that I need to be *departing* on a Star Alliance International flight, but the Wiki at the top of the thread indicates that I should be able to gain access "* UA *G can not access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)". Key point is the use of the word 'departing' vs. 'traveling'.

Can someone advise?

Thanks
Old May 10, 2017, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by paulmtx64
I'm sure this is answered somewhere above but I am confused from reading the Star Alliance lounge rules and just want to check. I am flying AUS-SFO-SIN and return, with AUS-SFO-AUS on UA and SFO-SIN-SFO on SQ - in coach class. I am UA 1K, and thus *G. I understand that I will be able to use the lounges in SFO outbound and SIN on return, but will I be able to use the UA lounge in SFO for my 4hr layover on the way back.

Star Alliance lounge access guide says that I need to be *departing* on a Star Alliance International flight, but the Wiki at the top of the thread indicates that I should be able to gain access "* UA *G can not access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)". Key point is the use of the word 'departing' vs. 'traveling'.

Can someone advise?

Thanks
Yes, as a *G on an international itinerary you should have access to the UC in SFO in both directions.

The hole in the rules is that if you were in F the whole way but not *G, you would not have SFO access on the way home.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:09 pm

Will I be able to access the United Club in Guam after deplaning from a HNL-GUM flight?

I believe that per the rules I should, since I would have just came off a same day "international" flight as a *G.

However, I seem to recall that Guam airport has a slightly different layout, where even domestic arrivals deplane into a separate arrivals corridor (like many foreign airports) and not into the general gate area. But I could be wrong--I've only been there once, and it was a few years ago.

Anyone know for sure?
Old May 12, 2017, 6:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sincx
Will I be able to access the United Club in Guam after deplaning from a HNL-GUM flight?

I believe that per the rules I should, since I would have just came off a same day "international" flight as a *G. ....
No access

Besides the access issue, the rules state (or see the wiki)
As a Star Alliance Gold customer, you have access to any member airline lounge that displays the Star Alliance Gold logo. You will need to present your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport.
The UCs are departure lounges and unless an UC member, you need to have a departure *A BP.

The 24 hour hour refers to qualifying as an international travel access (international travel needs to be within 24 hours -- but still requires a departure *A BP).
Old May 12, 2017, 11:26 pm

Flying on one PNR MP award ticket, both are UA flights same day flights: SEA-SFO-ICN. SEA-SFO in economy and SFO-NRT in F. Any access in Seattle UC based on this ticketing/class configuration. Thank you in advance.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by loopflyer
Flying on one PNR MP award ticket, both are UA flights same day flights: SEA-SFO-ICN. SEA-SFO in economy and SFO-NRT in F. Any access in Seattle UC based on this ticketing/class configuration. Thank you in advance.
As you are flying international premium cabin on a same day UA operated flight, you have access at SEA to the UC. See the thread's wiki for more.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:02 am

Yes, both are UA flights, same day, the UA to NRT from SFO is in First. The way that I've read the rules is that you must show a BP in J/F intl that shows a flight departing from that departure airport. I do know I have access to Global First lounge in SFO, but it is the Seattle UC access that I really wanted to get clarification.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by loopflyer
Yes, both are UA flights, same day, the UA to NRT from SFO is in First. The way that I've read the rules is that you must show a BP in J/F intl that shows a flight departing from that departure airport. I do know I have access to Global First lounge in SFO, but it is the Seattle UC access that I really wanted to get clarification.
as written
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As you are flying international premium cabin on a same day UA operated flight, you have access at SEA to the UC. See the thread's wiki for more.
This is a UA rule specific to UCs.
A boarding pass for travel in United Polaris first class

Customers in United Polaris first class may access United Club locations at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing.
Same rule for Polaris Business but no guests, Polaris First gets 1 guest.
Old May 13, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA *S
IAH layover

I'm flying on UA846 SCL-IAH in business class, departing on 5/20 and arriving on 5/21 at 5:50 AM. Then I am continuing on UA1666 IAH-EWR in economy class (GPU only cleared for first segment so far).

I am MP silver/*A silver. Both flights are under one reservation.

Will I have access to the UC at IAH during my two hour layover? Since my overnight international flight will have departed the day before, will this cause problems?
Old May 13, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by crossingborders
I'm flying on UA846 SCL-IAH in business class, departing on 5/20 and arriving on 5/21 at 5:50 AM. Then I am continuing on UA1666 IAH-EWR in economy class (GPU only cleared for first segment so far).

I am MP silver/*A silver. Both flights are under one reservation.

Will I have access to the UC at IAH during my two hour layover? Since my overnight international flight will have departed the day before, will this cause problems?
Domestic class of service does not matter
*S does not help
UA operated premium cabin / Polaris passengers have UC access at all same day (within 24 hours - and you will be same day on arrival) connecting airports -- so yes for UC access at IAH.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
UC access for NZ / UA 'dual citizen'

Hi, I'm about to hit Elite on NZ and am thinking about starting to earn on UA, since NZ*E comes with an extra year of *G.

If I do so, does anyone know if I will run into trouble getting into UCs on the first few flights, when I'll be traveling on domestic UA tickets attached to a UA MileagePlus number without status (or with Premier Silver after a few weeks)? That is to say, I'll still have *G thru NZ, but it won't be associated with my ticket, so I'm not sure whether I'll get turned away at the UC or not... maybe I can show them a NZ Airpoints Elite card or something?

thanks!
Old May 16, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
If I understand the question correctly, it shouldn't matter. For domestic (within US) flights, *G doesn't get automatic UC access. That's only for international itineraries (unless my jet-lagged memory fails me).
Old May 16, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Goaliedad30
If I understand the question correctly, it shouldn't matter. For domestic (within US) flights, *G doesn't get automatic UC access. That's only for international itineraries (unless my jet-lagged memory fails me).
For a domestic flight, a non-UA *G does get you UC access.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Goaliedad30
...For domestic (within US) flights, *G doesn't get automatic UC access. That's only for international itineraries (unless my jet-lagged memory fails me).
*G from another airline gets access on wholly-domestic itineraries. The OP gets access with New Zealand *G card even if domestic ticket has United FFN on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.