Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Old Sep 5, 2012, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by JD3030
I booked an international flight from the US to Canada for my parents, all of the segments are on United. I am Premier Gold so when I travel between the US & Canada I always have access to United and Maple Leaf lounges. My parents have a 3 hour layover at EWR (Terminal A). Since I used my miles, will they have access to the United Club?
Nope.
Dave
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by JD3030
I booked an international flight from the US to Canada for my parents, all of the segments are on United. I am Premier Gold so when I travel between the US & Canada I always have access to United and Maple Leaf lounges. My parents have a 3 hour layover at EWR (Terminal A). Since I used my miles, will they have access to the United Club?
UA flight from US to Canada is not considered International and thus I doubt even you yourself will be able to access either the UA or Maple Leaf lounges.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lax2010
UA flight from US to Canada is not considered International and thus I doubt even you yourself will be able to access either the UA or Maple Leaf lounges.
Incorrect. You most definitely can.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by star_world
Incorrect. You most definitely can.
Thanks for the correction. It is good to know that USA to Canada flights on United is now considered International Flight and thus MP elite members can now have complimentary access to the United Club. Learn something new on FT every day.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Thanks for the correction. It is good to know that USA to Canada flights on United is now considered International Flight and thus MP elite members can now have complimentary access to the United Club. Learn something new on FT every day.
I think that was an old pre-merger UA policy, although I seem to remember it changed even before the merger.

Go to MLL lounges wherever you have a choice - much better
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
It's been that way on UA for as long as I'm aware (3+ years), although I can't speak for the CO side.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
None of this affects OP's parents. Unless they have status or are members, they will not have access. Single use pass is $50 pp.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont President's Club (Premier)
So if my wife and I are flying from BOS-DEN-YQR in United First and Business First (on an Aeroplan reward) we will have access to the lounge in DEN?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Riderpride75
So if my wife and I are flying from BOS-DEN-YQR in United First and Business First (on an Aeroplan reward) we will have access to the lounge in DEN?
As long as travel to Canada is considered international, I believe you would have lounge access at both BOS and DEN. I think the access rules for an international United First and/or Business First ticket are UC access at all airports on the day of travel.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
GM w/ Business Class intl ticket w/ domestic leg United Club Access?

Hey,

I have a GM friend flying on Tuesday that has ORD>IAD>FRA in Business upgraded via GPU.

My assumption is that since they are in Business Class they get access to the United Club in IAD, being that is the Intl departure point.

Do they get access in ORD as well or is it only at the intl dep point?

TIA!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
ps F lounge access?

My wife and I flying PS F tomorrow JFK-SFO as am award flight. (Yes, I know, not the best use of miles; long story.) I'm sure this info is somewhere but did a search and came up empty. Do we have lounge access? If so, is there any choice and are there any recommendations?

Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
My wife and I flying PS F tomorrow JFK-SFO as am award flight. (Yes, I know, not the best use of miles; long story.) I'm sure this info is somewhere but did a search and came up empty. Do we have lounge access? If so, is there any choice and are there any recommendations?

Thanks for any help.
You should have access to the JFK IFL (well, and United Club, but why bother)
Old Sep 15, 2012, 3:00 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by Thunderroad

Thanks for any help.
There is no choice - you only will be able to get into the UC, but at least you'll be able to get into the (dirty, quiet, gross food especially on a weekend, well stocked) IFL.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by cocaine
GM friend flying on Tuesday that has ORD>IAD>FRA in Business upgraded via GPU.

Do they get access in ORD?TIA!
OK, so after re-reading the entire thread I keep seeing differing answers.

There seems to be one group which says access is only allowed at intl departure gateway and therefore would not have access at ORD.

Another group which says access is allowed with same day intl business class ticket.

All flights are on UA Metal. The only thing I see is "Boarding pass for travel in United Global First, United BusinessFirst, United First or United Business" - "e. Travel within the U.S. (including Hawaii and Guam) in United First or United Business is not eligible."

It does not mention anything about having to be at the intl departure gateway, but it also doesn't say "same day".

So who is correct?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 3:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... There seems to be one group which says access is only allowed at intl departure gateway and therefore would not have access at ORD. ...
Business class (but not *G) have * A lounge access only at gateway departure airport. (see UA metal exception below)

... Another group which says access is allowed with same day intl business class ticket. ...
This is the rule for *G (intl itin) in any cabin to any *A lounge
or if the premium Cabin International portion is on UA/US metal than passenger has systemwide UC lounge .

... All flights are on UA Metal. ...
It does not mention anything about having to be at the intl departure gateway, but it also doesn't say "same day". ...
because of the UA metal exception, same day access at all UCs would be allowed and gateway departure airport access to other *A lounges.

... So who is correct?
does this make sense now?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.