Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Throwaway Tickets , such as book RT but only use OW - any issues with UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
from Wikipedia's Airline booking ploys
Throwaway ticketing is purchasing a ticket with the intent to use only a portion of the included travel. This situation may arise when a passenger wants to travel only one way, but where the discounted round-trip excursion fare is cheaper than a one-way ticket
Hidden city ticketing (HCT) is a variant of throwaway ticketing. The passenger books a ticket to a fictitious destination (the "hidden" city) with a connection at the intended destination, walks away at the connection node, and discards the remaining segment.
Consolidated "Hidden City Ticketing Questions"
Print Wikipost

Throwaway Tickets , such as book RT but only use OW - any issues with UA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:06 am

Really?

Never seen this discussed?

Originally Posted by undergrace
I am an American who now lives in China so I do not fly with UA very often anymore. I have never seen this issue discussed so I'm curious what everyone thinks about this.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by undergrace
I am an American who now lives in China so I do not fly with UA very often anymore. I have never seen this issue discussed so I'm curious what everyone thinks about this.

I have noticed that many times booking a round-trip ticket will be significantly cheaper than one-way. Earlier this year I needed to fly AMS-LAX in June and o/w tickets were over $1k compared to only $650 r/t. I booked the r/t, flew to LAX, and canceled my return once I arrived in the US.

Next summer I need to fly HKG-IAD and saw an amazing r/t price of $530, whereas o/w is over $750. I booked the r/t and will cancel the remaining segments once I arrive in the US.

Is this something that UA would actually track? This will be my second time in 10+ years of flying with them that I would do this. Do they pay attention to how often someone cancels a ticket that's partially used? I do not receive a refund for my unused segments. I assume UA would expect most people would take the cheapest possible option, so pricing the r/t so much lower would yield this result. What does everyone think?
My $.02 would be to book the return as far out as possible (within the fare rules and price point) then watch for a schedule /equipment change. UA rules that a significant (>2hrs) change is basis for a refund, <2hrs you should be able to change for no charge.

Technically They can ding you fgor throwaway ticketing but its extremely rare and i doubt that it would stop you from being able to book in the future (though if you have a big stash of UA miles......)
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by AceReport
My $.02 would be to book the return as far out as possible (within the fare rules and price point) then watch for a schedule /equipment change. UA rules that a significant (>2hrs) change is basis for a refund, <2hrs you should be able to change for no charge.

Technically They can ding you fgor throwaway ticketing but its extremely rare and i doubt that it would stop you from being able to book in the future (though if you have a big stash of UA miles......)
Also, presumably you may be coming back the way you came eventually. You may end up using the return half (with the change fee) after all, which could be more economical in the end.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Be Considerate.

I do this regularly, and always call at least 2 weeks prior to the return so that UA can sell the seat to someone who might need it. I also always give a reason for the cancel e.g. "my contract has been extended and I don't know my return date yet". Whether or not they log this info, it still gives the agent a reason to be pleasant, and they usually thank me for calling.

If I know the return is a throwaway, I will book it as far out as I can so that a schedule change or flight cancellation might allow me to regain some value.

Last edited by zombietooth; Aug 1, 2017 at 1:32 pm
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by zrs70
I would make the return for a flight far into the future (that still allowed your fare basis). Perhaps a flight with a funky connection in a routing that UA may or may not keep).

If there is a schedule change, UA may have different options for the ticket you are now unable to use.
Or in the winter, to increase chances of weather cancellations.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:26 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
Interestingly lately, I found that in UA domestic ticketing, there is not much difference between round trip and two one-ways. "Saturday night stay" becomes a phrase of the past.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by V9
Interestingly lately, I found that in UA domestic ticketing, there is not much difference between round trip and two one-ways. "Saturday night stay" becomes a phrase of the past.
It's a general industry shift, brought on by non traditional carriers like SWA and the ULCC's like Spirit. DL, AA, and UA have all shifted their domestic fares to reflect this. Still not quite there for international unfortunately. I was just priced a $2900 one-way ORD-FRA on UA for Oct, RT on the same route was well under $1K.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by V9
It's been several years since I've seen a significant difference between domestic booking 2 o/w vs 1 r/t and for LAX-EWR(formerly JFK) the prices were identical.
Add in reports of people who did not have the outbound ticket scan properly at the gate, resulting in the return ticket being cancelled automatically, I have gotten in the habit of booking 2 o/w tickets for most of my travel on UA.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Another thread resurrection. I’m trying to go from SFO or LAX to Guam one way. This is typically north of $1000 and return trips are just a little bit more than one way. However, a few round trips with one or two days on ground can be had for as low as about $600 (Searchable only through Google flights, book through United. If you search through United you will not find these K fares). I’ve never seen this “shorter time at destination is cheaper” pricing on any other United route. Given that the return is so soon after the outbound, it’s harder to justify (fabricate excuse for) missing the return leg. I’ve gathered from the rest of this thread that UA wouldn’t charge me extra if I missed the return, but would there be any detrement to MileagePlus account? Would it be worth trying to notify UA to retain the return ticket value (309 PQD)?
Also interested in hearing from any ExpertFlyer experts who might be able to explain this weird fare pricing anomaly.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 13, 2018 at 2:50 pm Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You don't need an excuse, because you don't need to talk to anyone at UA. Just no-show or cancel online. The received wisdom is if you only do this once, it should not be an issue. No guaranties though, and you are violating the contract of carriage by booking without intent to fly.
Originally Posted by therossinator
Also interested in hearing from any ExpertFlyer experts who might be able to explain this weird fare pricing anomaly.
It's not an anomaly. There are lots of routes where a RT is cheaper than a OW. Very common particularly TATL. Could find a dozen examples for you in five minutes using googleflights.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not an anomaly. There are lots of routes where a RT is cheaper than a OW. Very common particularly TATL. Could find a dozen examples for you in five minutes using googleflights.
I get that many times return flights can be cheaper than one way flights. But a lot of those flights require a certain minimum time at the destination. I call this scenario an anomaly, not charactistic of the typical TATL RT because 1) if you have a time at the destination longer than about one or two days, the price of the RT ticket increases drastically 2) the time in the air exceeds the time spent at the destination (you must cross the IDL) 3) the pricing is inconsistent for these 1-2 day stops, some days $4,000 others $617, but stretch it to 3+ days and prices are consistent at $2,000 +-100 for almost every departure day you look at 4) United’s search engine won’t show these flight fares, only google does.

Just doesn’t seem like the typical fare rules, I’ve never heard of “must not stay longer than X number of days to get this price.” Unless it’s something long like 6 months.

Last edited by therossinator; Aug 12, 2018 at 9:45 am
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Are the stays in GUM more than 24h00? Do you have an example itinerary?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just doesn’t seem like the typical fare rules, I’ve never heard of “must not stay longer than X number of days to get this price.” Unless it’s something long like 6 months.
Is that what the fare rules say, or are you inferring that from search results?

It's really not possible to comment on the fare rules without knowing specific routing and dates so that we can pull up the fare.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Are the stays in GUM more than 24h00? Do you have an example itinerary?
I’d wager good money they’re not, and the lower pricing is due to the fact that this isn’t a GUM fare at all.

OP: Don’t even think about trying to recoup the excess value of the fare; you can’t. They’d re-price it using an actual GUM fare instead of a fare to HKG or PVG or wherever it is that you’re “connecting.” Keep in mind that you’ll need any applicable visas for your destination even if you’re not actually planning to go there.

There actually are maximum stay requirements in fares, but they’re usually more like 30 days or 3 months, not 1 day.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Another thread resurrection. I’m trying to go from SFO or LAX to Guam one way. This is typically north of $1000 and return trips are just a little bit more than one way. However, a few round trips with one or two days on ground can be had for as low as about $600 (Searchable only through Google flights, book through United. If you search through United you will not find these K fares). I’ve never seen this “shorter time at destination is cheaper” pricing on any other United route. Given that the return is so soon after the outbound, it’s harder to justify (fabricate excuse for) missing the return leg. I’ve gathered from the rest of this thread that UA wouldn’t charge me extra if I missed the return, but would there be any detrement to MileagePlus account? Would it be worth trying to notify UA to retain the return ticket value (309 PQD)?
These might actually something like a RT to NRT with a connection or stopover at GUM.

But, in any event, there is no need to fabricate silly stories for UA as some suggest:
1. They've heard it all.
2. The "story" is irrelevant. Whatever risk -- close to zero -- is not changed by a "story".
3. There is no need to tell any story. When you no show for your onward/return flight, the remainder of the ticket will be cancelled. As the OW costs more than the RT, there would be a $0 credit (or even refund). Thus, no reason for you to do anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.