Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does CO/UA Offer Complimentary Elite Upgrades on International Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United/continental

Just wanna find out as an elite member will I get upgrade to business or first class when am on united international flights? I also have a presidential plus card.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 9, 2012 at 4:57 am Reason: retitled thread
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by johnnyemman
Just wanna find out as an elite member will I get upgrade to business or first class when am on united international flights? I also have a presidential plus card.
The short answer is "no".
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
No

Just wanna find out as an elite member will I get upgrade to business or first class when am on international flights? I also have a presidential plus card.
No.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
The short answer is "no".
+1
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold
A simple search of the forums will yield the answer you are looking for. Furthermore, please don't post the same questions multiple times.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
No.
Actually, it is possible to receive complimentary upgrades on flights to Mexico, Canada, Caribbean, etc.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Welcome to FlyerTalk, jonnyemman.

Please familiarise yourself with the FlyerTalk forums and how the forums work, by looking in the frequent flyer program relevant to you.

You have asked about an upgrade in the Mileage Run Discussion forum.

There is a guide to how the Mileage Run forums work:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...rums-work.html

Since you are not asking about the details of a Mileage Run Deal, but are asking a specific question about a specific airline, I will move this question to the United Mileage Plus FFP forum, where this information already exists.

Welcome, please take the time to find out what's on FlyerTalk!

BiziBB, Moderator Mileage Run forums
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
How nice so many of these responses were. Where's the FT spirit I know and love? After all, we are more than a message board. We are a community.

To the original poster. Whether elite or general member, one needs either miles or certificates for most long haul international travel.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BryanIAH
Actually, it is possible to receive complimentary upgrades on flights to Mexico, Canada, Caribbean, etc.
Agreed. The actual answer to the OP's question is "yes, with some restrictions." There are a number of international routes where complimentary upgrades are offered. There are a number where such upgrades are not offered, but it is hardly an absolute "no" as asked.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
Agreed. The actual answer to the OP's question is "yes, with some restrictions." There are a number of international routes where complimentary upgrades are offered. There are a number where such upgrades are not offered, but it is hardly an absolute "no" as asked.
I'd say the better answer to complementary international upgrades is "no, with some exceptions".
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
To the original poster:

You will need to use miles, money, or a SWU certificate to be upgraded into the premium cabins for international service outside of North America on United.

UA's unlimited domestic upgrades rule applies for service to/from Canada, the Caribbean Islands and Mexico (the last time I checked). Pax with status on UA or CO can forgo some of the ancillary fees (like the dreaded co-pay) when using miles to cover a long-haul international upgrade, but even those with status must cover some additional cost for an International C or F class seat.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by itstimetofly
You will need to use miles, money, or a SWU certificate to be upgraded into the premium cabins for international service outside of North America on United.
Not quite correct. Numerous flights outside North America (those operated by CO equipment or by any equipment after integration is complete) offer complementary upgrades.

Some flights within North America do not offer complimentary upgrades (flights to Hawaii marketed as BusinessFirst and p.s.).
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Not quite correct. Numerous flights outside North America (those operated by CO equipment or by any equipment after integration is complete) offer complementary upgrades.

Some flights within North America do not offer complimentary upgrades (flights to Hawaii marketed as BusinessFirst and p.s.).
(i.e. IAH-LIM is CPU eligible).
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:30 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

However in a few months, most of this will change for the worse for you as an elite. Corporate and government travellers on deep discount contract tickets that book into certain fare buckets will be given upgrade priority over elites.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
However in a few months, most of this will change for the worse for you as an elite. Corporate and government travellers on deep discount contract tickets that book into certain fare buckets will be given upgrade priority over elites.
Only if they are also elite themselves. Suggesting otherwise is rather misleading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.