Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Are Upgrades Becoming Easier or Harder on UA?" Thread [2012/13]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Are Upgrades Becoming Easier or Harder on UA?" Thread [2012/13]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by 1k650
This (UA 900/901) is the most difficult flight in UA's system to upgrade - I challenge you to find any NC seat at any time till end of schedule...
I found 32 flights total for the next 330 days that had any NC availability SFO-FRA.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by djmp
I found 32 flights total for the next 330 days that had any NC availability SFO-FRA.
Curious - how do you do that without going through one day at a time ? And was this NC space on UA 900/901 or 926/927?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This (UA 900/901) is the most difficult flight in UA's system to upgrade ...
Agree in a way, whereas I am still debating if its the SFO-FRA or the SFO-HKG run ??

Did you find a pattern, whereas NC was available?
e.g. day of the week, days out ?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 10, 2012 at 1:12 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: IHG platinum, Hilton diamond, Hyatt platinum, Marriott gold
Want to know how you did it +1
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Curious - how do you do that without going through one day at a time ? And was this NC space on UA 900/901 or 926/927?
Perhaps used expertflyer.com, which lets you check a week at a time, plus it's easy to "refine" (as they put it) your search so as to easily check other dates pretty quickly. Plus, not to sound like too much of a shill for the site, these searches indicate how many upgrades are available for any given flight.

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Did you find a pattern, whereas NC was available?
e.g. day of the week, days out ?
Good question. I'd be curious about this too.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 10, 2012 at 1:13 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: United 1k
I don't regard myself as an amazingly lucky or instinctively brilliant person. I do have some skills, but ...

In any event, I fly Australia - US - and often on to London a lot. I am 1k and about to break 1MM, admittedly this has been helped by a couple of hundred thousand miles I seem to have got from the recent rule changes, by most of my miles are this run and I do it a lot.

In the last 3 years I have failed to be upgraded (to business) once on London - San Francisco and failed once four years ago the other way.

Across the Pacific, I have failed once in the last four years.

Where I can I follow basic rules (avoid weekends, if possible fly to London out of Lax etc) however nothing I do not that is unreasonable to get the benefit of flying business class.

As to this benefit, I think it is pretty damn high. I have flown Singapore business a few times, and I would give a win on the quality of the product, but not by a long way. I think the UAL product is pretty damn good. Economy is rubbish, as I remember it, but as I said, I hardly ever fly it.

Right now I am stranded in London sick, and having had to move my flight home three times while I recover. On the original flight, and each of the changes I have made, upgrades have been confirmed for each sector of the flight home.

I think it is all pretty good and I am a fan of United.

There you are I have said it.

Last edited by Robert N; Feb 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Robert N
In the last 3 years I have failed to be upgraded (to business) once on London - San Francisco and failed once four years ago the other way.

Across the Pacific, I have failed once in the last four years.
That is a pretty good record, Rob! ^
As to fares: What booking class do you typically book in?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew PHX-SFO-IAD-GSO last weekend as a 1P on a K fare. I knew I'd never get SFO-IAD (it was a Sunday redeye A320) but I was very surprised to miss PHX-SFO. I wasn't even close (#8 out of over two dozen when boarding). I've never missed this route before so this was not the welcome back to 1P I was hoping for
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Talking

That is a pretty good record, Rob! ^
As to fares: What booking class do you typically book in?
Here is my record:

Since 2006, I have taken about 60 flights to and from Asia: HKG/PVG/KIX/ICN/PEK.

About 55 upgrades have been requested. Only one failed to clear: ORD-HKG.

I booked XF ticket to HKG, paid a fee and canceled my revenue ticket.

I always have flexibility, and book far ahead, most of upgrades were cleared at booking. NC is indeed very hard to find these days.

Life is too short to suffer 15+ hours in horrible UA 747 Y.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
Since 2006, I have taken about 60 flights to and from Asia: HKG/PVG/KIX/ICN/PEK.

I always have flexibility, and book far ahead, most of upgrades were cleared at booking. NC is indeed very hard to find these days.
Nice record, indeed. How far out is your booking typically?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Here is my record:

About 55 upgrades have been requested. Only one failed to clear: ORD-HKG.
Mine since 2001 to 2010 (all C to F):

around 120 flights to and from Asia: HKG/BKK/SIN/NRT, another 20% more (or so) to FRA/LHR/EZE/SYD

All cleared.

I have been hearing that C to F on some segments with SWU's are struggling to clear these days. Even GS on a J fare is missing out on the upgrades as well
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Nice record, indeed. How far out is your booking typically?
Typically, 10 months in advance to secure NC, or 2 weeks in advance to check the C cabin load before booking.

95% of time, upgrade is cleared at booking.

I am always willing to change dates, routings, even destination cities to find positive NC.

Tues/Wed/Thu are the best time to travel.

HKG is the most difficult, followed by PVG and NRT.

The key for my 54/55 upgrade success rate for trans-Pacific flights is flexibility.

By the way, when flying BOS-Europe I don't even bother to upgrade. Just buy the cheapest fare, and sit in exit Y seat.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Typically, 10 months in advance to secure NC, or 2 weeks in advance to check the C cabin load before booking.

95% of time, upgrade is cleared at booking.

I am always willing to change dates, routings, even destination cities to find positive NC.

Tues/Wed/Thu are the best time to travel.

HKG is the most difficult, followed by PVG and NRT.

The key for my 54/55 upgrade success rate for trans-Pacific flights is flexibility.

By the way, when flying BOS-Europe I don't even bother to upgrade. Just buy the cheapest fare, and sit in exit Y seat.
Nice to have that time-flexibility.

Agree with HKG. Looking at your East Coast location, you probably have no experience on the SFO-FRA run?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
SEA-IAH tomorrow morning on a CO 753... 24 seats in F. I am 5th on the list as a 1K with 1 seat left. Only 7 upgrades out of the 23 that are booked into F.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Only 7 upgrades out of the 23 that are booked into F.
So, all the others are revenue Fs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.