Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2012]

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2012]

Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Hope you last three posters tell UA to shove it and head out to greener pastures, especially for your profitable FF int'l travels.
Uh, I just connected to the link provided above on the 'special' page, and it shows GS as of March 3. So maybe the folks on the phone were wrong????
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:22 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blueman2
Uh, I just connected to the link provided above on the 'special' page, and it shows GS as of March 3. So maybe the folks on the phone were wrong????
Probably.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:47 pm

My re-qual e-mail came from MileagePlus, not from Continental...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Gold, sqwat on everything else
I have been GS continuously since 2005 and I'm not sure how I initially qualified. Ever since I have done > 100,000 EQM and > 50,000 full fare miles which was sufficient to maintain GS status. I was under the impression (or I was told by GS desk at one time) that 50,000 full fare miles was the key criteria.

I received email today offering a "preview" of my 2012 status. When I logged in, it stated that I did not re-qualify for 2012. In 2011, I flew > 64,000 full fare miles (all flights were full fare) and I had total fares of > $40,000. I don't know my final EQM for 2011 (it may have been slightly less than 100,000), but what gives???
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
One more here non-qualifying for GS this year. Found out via the preview website as others have. 2011 was a domestic blitz for me, ~130 EQS only 2 of which were int'l (and Canada at that, so not really int'l).

2011 was my first year as a GS, I'd say my spend was $45,000 in base fares, with my frequent change fees I'd say I broke the $50,000 mark in total spend without much problem. ~25,000 FFM and ~93,000 EQM in total.

I'm definitely going to miss it - loved the treatment, but I'm hoping to pull back from the road a bit in 2012 anyway. Regardless, UA/CO will still get 100% of my business so smart call on their behalf.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS/1K, Avis First, Marriot PP, SPG GLD
2 data points:

I'm in DEN and I made it (got my requal this morning), ~142K FF (225K BIS, >330K EQM), ~$90K spend. My co-worker in SAN had ~65K FF (all international C), ~$45-50K spend, he didn't make it.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA
Looks like they really raised the re qualification criteria compared to before the merger. Maybe with the inflow of CO they tried to keep the numbers the same and therefore had to raise the bar.
Not that big a deal for me, gives me a chance for greener pastures now. Need to do enough for 2 MM (60k more) but I can do this via domestic and some international and otherwise just spread around A*.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Stats

Since everyone is posting stats, my 2011 stats were:

150,847 EQM

64,164 FF miles

$42,000 FF spend broken down at 12% F/A, 45% C/J, 16% Z, and 27% Y/B.

$50,000 total spend

I did requal for GS and am ORD based.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Cuse44
I don't remember if all the perks were specifically listed in my welcome packet. Some perks I can think of for GS:

1. Upgrade award tickets using instruments (assuming upgrade inventory is avail, no waitlisting)
2. Convert upgrade space to saver award space (some report having to ask specifically for this benefit but whenever I have called in the agents seem to have it "built in" to their view and just automatically apply it.
3. 5 day, 5 seat - If there are greater than 5 seats available for sale within the GS window (120 hrs), most GS agents will force you upgrade through. I am not sure if it is exactly 5 seats, or varies depending the equipment, but it worked for my wife and I on an A320 with F6 at the 5-day GS UDU window a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks! This is helpful.

Originally Posted by blueman2
EDIT: so that people who scan this thread looking for equal data will not include this incorrectly, it looks like I did make GS after all. GS on the phone said no, but on the 'special' page link given above, it says I am GS 2012 starting March 3. So I think I am GS (?). Time will tell.
So I saw the same message which clearly says "Bowhi, your 2012 MileagePlus program status: Global Services sm (effective March 3, 2012)"

...for those who are requal this doesn't really matter, but for those of us first time qualifiers for GS, does this mean we don't get GS status until March and therefore, only 9 months of GS (if don't requal)?! ...that seems pretty lame if it is true as I'm always on the bubble every year but enjoy it when I make it.
I would think that they would let you use whichever status is higher for first 3 months (at least on CO and UA metal which they control), or roll it over to March 2013.
Does anyone have any insight on this? I have a trans-atlantic in mid-Feb and would like to have a good shot at benefiting from my status (if I have it) .

Originally Posted by Ari
GS super-priority check-in and security line access at ORD, SFO, IAD, etc.
I always see GS pop-out of the glass doors at security at ORD. Do they connect directly from Terminal 5 or take the tram like the rest, then enter somewhere in Terminal 1? ...I have always wondered

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 20, 2012 at 9:46 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by bowhi
I always see GS pop-out of the glass doors at security at ORD. Do they connect directly from Terminal 5 or take the tram like the rest, then enter somewhere in Terminal 1? ...I have always wondered
If you are speaking of the glass doors at Terminal 1 at ORD, there is no direct connection to Terminal 5. If you are connecting international to domestic, then you have to clear customs at T5 and take the tram to T1. Entrance into the GS checkin is at the far end of terminal 1.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: United 1K (after 15 years GS) 3MM, Marriott LTTitanium
Originally Posted by rmmcdaniel
Since everyone is posting stats, my 2011 stats were:

150,847 EQM

64,164 FF miles

$42,000 FF spend broken down at 12% F/A, 45% C/J, 16% Z, and 27% Y/B.

$50,000 total spend

I did requal for GS and am ORD based.
I have similiar stats (sorry I did not copy them down at end of year) and did not requalify. I am PHL based.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by eastnortheast
If you are speaking of the glass doors at Terminal 1 at ORD, there is no direct connection to Terminal 5. If you are connecting international to domestic, then you have to clear customs at T5 and take the tram to T1. Entrance into the GS checkin is at the far end of terminal 1.
Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by bowhi
GS might as well be 2P at IAD...
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, F9 Summit, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by RealFan
I am shocked that your figures didn't qualify for GS. I guess the bar for requalification must be a lot higher than I thought.
I tend to think people are exaggerating their spend numbers. This person perhaps not, but "50k FF spend, no GS" is just really hard for me to believe.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum/2MM
Originally Posted by vandalby
One more here non-qualifying for GS this year. Found out via the preview website as others have.
Here is another non-requalifying GS. Also found out via the preview site yesterday. I have been GS for 2 years. I have no idea what my spent was, but 2011, my FF miles was 52,000. In year 2010, my FF miles was over 60,000, and before that I even don't know, since I never thought I would be a GS so didn't pay attention. It always knew I was not just GS-light but GS-superlight, so this wasn't a surprise, but still a bit sad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.