Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

My New Year Resolution: lay back and accept that I am a CO flyer now

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:01 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

After a lot of angst and sadness last year, I am resolved to enter 2012 laying back and accepting the fact that I am now a million mile 1k flyer on Continental Airlines dba United.

I pledge to try to avoid the snark.

I pledge to try to accept my ever-decreasing in value upgrade instruments.

I pledge to try to accept that management thinks like a domestic carrier with international routes rather than thinking like a global airline.

I pledge to try to accept that a few bucks will trump loyalty in nearly all management decisions.

It's a new year, and things have changed. I really want to work at getting through the grieving process and ending up at acceptance.

To this end:

I have stopped using UA.com and am now exclusively using continental.com.

I am trying to forget my MP number and memorize my CO letters/numbers.

I am taking my international business class fares to other airlines.

I am trying to look at the bright side, like freshly painted planes and DirecTV.

We'll see how long this New Year's Resolution lasts.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I pledge to try to accept my ever-decreasing in value upgrade instruments.
CR-1's are notably more valuable now since they are prioritized over CPU at all times.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GTHCGTH
CR-1's are notably more valuable now since they are prioritized over CPU at all times.
But they are earned on a far less attractive schedule than in the past.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
But they are earned on a far less attractive schedule than in the past.
That doesn't mean they are less valuable. Hence
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
That doesn't mean they are less valuable. Hence
If I don't have them to use (until Q3) they are worthless to me.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 2MM
If I don't have them to use (until Q3) they are worthless to me.
Have you forgotten your New Year Resolution? (lay back and accept)
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doug 1029
Have you forgotten your New Year Resolution? (lay back and accept)
lol, I did say 'try!'
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Don't forget that "all elites/credit card holers are equal when it comes to calling COdbaUA*, checking in at the airport, going through security, boarding, choosing your meal in F/BF, dealing with the OPSC".

*It can be neither proven nor disproven that UA credit card holders have access to the elite phone lines

Last edited by UA-NYC; Jan 5, 2012 at 10:00 am Reason: Analysis is not 100% conclusive either way
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Don't forget that "all elites/credit card holers are equal when it comes to calling COdbaUA, checking in at the airport, going through security, boarding, choosing your meal in F/BF, dealing with the OPSC".
Credit card holders don't get Elite phone privileges. [Unduly personalized remarks deleted by Moderator per FT Rules.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 5, 2012 at 9:39 am Reason: Per FT Rules.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Sounds like you've begun the assimilation process. Some of us aren't there yet, but it's good to see our fellow travellers get a head start.

I look forward to your 2013 resolutions where you'll likely include:

• Unequivocally defending and justifying everything this management team does.
  • Cushioning your TATL westbound connections to accommodate 757 fuel stops.
  • Missing extra days from work and simply accepting whatever the computer rebooks you on for IRROPS since no GA wants to deal with SHARES to improve your rebooking.
  • Running up a multi-page credit card statement from all the $8 DirecTV charges.
  • Making regular visits to your chiropractor because of the rock-hard economy seats.
  • Spending countless afternoons on the phone in queue with the OP, er, MPSC to reconcile partner mileage postings, regional upgrade refunds, and other administrative items.
  • Making more frequent visits to church or other religious venue praying to the EUA gods.
  • Not just enjoying but also procuring FreshBrew coffee to consume in your home.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by channa
Sounds like you've begun the assimilation process. Some of us aren't there yet, but it's good to see our fellow travellers get a head start.

I look forward to your 2013 resolutions where you'll likely include:

• Unequivocally defending and justifying everything this management team does.
  • Cushioning your TATL westbound connections to accommodate 757 fuel stops.
  • Missing extra days from work and simply accepting whatever the computer rebooks you on for IRROPS since no GA wants to deal with SHARES to improve your rebooking.
  • Running up a multi-page credit card statement from all the $8 DirecTV charges.
  • Making regular visits to your chiropractor because of the rock-hard economy seats.
  • Spending countless afternoons on the phone in queue with the OP, er, MPSC to reconcile partner mileage postings, regional upgrade refunds, and other administrative items.
  • Making more frequent visits to church or other religious venue praying to the EUA gods.
  • Not just enjoying but also procuring FreshBrew coffee to consume in your home.
Sounds like the script to a horror movie
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Sounds like the script to a horror movie
Sadly it's probably closer to a reality show.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Congrats on part of the "giant weight" being removed. Once UA didn't fit my flying patterns very much, I hopped off the wagon, and the sun still rises, and the sun still sets, and my international business class fares generally go elsewhere, and life is good.

Just remember that every once in awhile you'll have a nice day on UA, and some of the old UA will shine through, albeit through a nasty IAH thunderstorm. Something similar recently happened to me on a DL flight, where I had a former WA FA who was great.

The fact that I'm a UA MM with ever-declining CO benefits means that I have less desire, need, and benefit to fly CO in the future. It makes life easier. I have a choice of airlines, fortunately, And whereas I rarely took the choice (except AS), now, I do.

Enjoy your new freedom, and best wishes on your resolution.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Congrats on part of the "giant weight" being removed. Once UA didn't fit my flying patterns very much, I hopped off the wagon, and the sun still rises, and the sun still sets, and my international business class fares generally go elsewhere, and life is good.

Just remember that every once in awhile you'll have a nice day on UA, and some of the old UA will shine through, albeit through a nasty IAH thunderstorm. Something similar recently happened to me on a DL flight, where I had a former WA FA who was great.

The fact that I'm a UA MM with ever-declining CO benefits means that I have less desire, need, and benefit to fly CO in the future. It makes life easier. I have a choice of airlines, fortunately, And whereas I rarely took the choice (except AS), now, I do.

Enjoy your new freedom, and best wishes on your resolution.
Yes, it comes down to:

'accept the things you cannot change,' ie, the CO-ization of UA, and

'change the things you can,' ie, taking my international business class fares elsewhere since CO does not earn my loyalty the way UA did...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: AS 100K
Yeah... I've accepted that UA/CO will be an okay domestic carrier, but should be avoided flying internationally. Unless I can get a vaunted UA intl F ticket - and there are no other intl F carriers available.

Things I'm looking forward to:
Hard product improvements (IFE, AC power, E+ fleetwide)

Things I'm really not looking forward to:
Huge decline in service attitude towards elites
Decline of domestic F product

Things I've already come to truly appreciate:
UA_Insider - these guys are amazing. Thank you, Shannon and Scott!
CO's award booking system and the ability to specify fare buckets

Things I already hate:
Premier access for all! Okay, in an attempt to be productive: why not keep premier access but segregate 1Ks and higher (F, J and GS) by adding a separate line for these customers at check-in, security and boarding?

Things I'm unimpressed with:
BF seats. Okay J product. Lack of fully-flat seats with not enough pitch for someone over 6' is stupid if you're flying TPAC or TATL. UA J seats better, new UA IFE much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.