Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Shopping - consolidated mileage posting questions / issues

Mileage Plus Shopping - consolidated mileage posting questions / issues

Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: mileage plus
hey guys, american here temporarily living in the UK. I went to access the mileage plus shopping portal and received this message. any guidance on how i should proceed answering the question? will it affect my account in any way?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Kerry Kittles
hey guys, American here temporarily living in the UK. I went to access the mileage plus shopping portal and received this message. any guidance on how i should proceed answering the question? will it affect my account in any way?
Seems to want to verify if you are located in the EEA, probably for GDPR compliance. Answering Yes will most likely get you banned from UA MP Shopping; probably just a cookie ban if you're not logged in, maybe a full account ban if logged in.

Invoke the Fifth and answer No - no matter where you are. On the internet, you'll only gain privileges by answering Yes if the question is whether you are in the US. In all other cases, answering Yes will take your privileges away.

Last edited by mozilla; Apr 15, 2019 at 11:13 am
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by mozilla
Seems to want to verify if you are located in the EEA, probably for GDPR compliance. Answering Yes will most likely get you banned from UA MP Shopping; probably just a cookie ban if you're not logged in, maybe a full account ban if logged in.

Invoke the Fifth and answer No - no matter where you are. On the internet, you'll only gain privileges by answering Yes if the question is whether you are in the US. In all other cases, answering Yes will take your privileges away.
My issue is that I go back and forth between the US and the UK and I use UA MP Shopping when I am on the ground in the US. Based on your response, I may limit my usage of UA MP Shopping to only when I'm in the US.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kerry Kittles
My issue is that I go back and forth between the US and the UK and I use UA MP Shopping when I am on the ground in the US. Based on your response, I may limit my usage of UA MP Shopping to only when I'm in the US.
While in the UK, try using a VPN with an endpoint in the US, preferably a corporate VPN if you have one, as MP SHOPPING may block the popular consumer VPN services. This will especially be useful for the shops you encounter after clicking through from MP SHOPPING, as many won't be so kind as to ask where you live, they will block you outright instead.

Note that shipping out of the US is often an exclusion ground for MP SHOPPING benefits. Additionally, using an IP that doesn't match the ship-to country is a good way to get caught in non-sophisticated "fraud" filters, especially if the IP belongs to a consumer VPN service. So ship to your US address whenever possible.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by mozilla
While in the UK, try using a VPN with an endpoint in the US, preferably a corporate VPN if you have one, as MP SHOPPING may block the popular consumer VPN services. This will especially be useful for the shops you encounter after clicking through from MP SHOPPING, as many won't be so kind as to ask where you live, they will block you outright instead.

Note that shipping out of the US is often an exclusion ground for MP SHOPPING benefits. Additionally, using an IP that doesn't match the ship-to country is a good way to get caught in non-sophisticated "fraud" filters, especially if the IP belongs to a consumer VPN service. So ship to your US address whenever possible.
helpful - thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA AS DL UA US WN Choice Gold, BW Diamond, PClub Plat, HHonnors Gold, Marriott, Carlson Gold
I'm not sure if this is the correct place for a question about the airline shopping portals but here goes. The terms and conditions of the airline shopping portals all say that giftcards are not eligible for miles but even the sites like restaurant.com have the same disclaimer which sells only giftcards. Has anyone been successful in buying a giftcard such as a Whole Foods gc (e-card) and getting the miles posted to their account (for example these Whole Foods e-cards are available at Staples.com).
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The terms state that gift cards don't earn miles, but what they really mean is if you're at Retailer A's site, and Retailer A also sells gift cards, then usually purchases of gift cards for Retailer B sold by Retailer A will earn miles. But, purchases of gift cards for Retailer A from Retailer A usually don't earn any miles.

Why? Most retailers have a separate system than the regular cart checkout process for their own gift cards. If the retailer you're looking at sells gift cards the same way they do other items (gift card shows up in the cart and you can check out with it in the cart with other items) then it just might work. Put it this way, there's no harm in trying. If all else fails, you'll still get the miles from the purchase made with the gift card (unless otherwise stated)

However, it also depends on how well integrated the merchant is with Cartera. If they share your order info with Cartera, and Cartera can see that you purchased a gift card, it is within their right to not pay out the miles, or if they do pay out, claw them back somewhere down the line.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by diburning
However, it also depends on how well integrated the merchant is with Cartera. If they share your order info with Cartera, and Cartera can see that you purchased a gift card, it is within their right to not pay out the miles, or if they do pay out, claw them back somewhere down the line.
Iindeed. Theres a lot of reasons you may get points clawed back down the line. It absolutely does happen.
Old May 3, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
I missed a 5X on Apple pucrchases last week.. hopefully I see this again so I can purchase my new Imac..
Old May 22, 2019, 11:00 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Recently MP Shopping was running a bonus miles promotion if you spend more than $300 you will get 1,000 bonus points.

The points from the purchase posted but the bonus hasnt posted. Any insight on how long for the bonus to appear?
Old May 22, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Recently MP Shopping was running a bonus miles promotion if you spend more than $300 you will get 1,000 bonus points.

The points from the purchase posted but the bonus hasnt posted. Any insight on how long for the bonus to appear?
I actually got an email letting me know that I had qualified for the bonus miles, and that they would post 4-6 weeks after the promotion was over.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
I got this as well.. in reading the T&C's it says "does not apply to gift cards or cash equivalents"... does this include the Raise purchases? I've been using this to double or triple up on miles per purchase.. Curious if anyone has tried this?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Well, given that gift cards are all that Raise sells, why would they be included in the portal if nothing that they would sell would qualify?

Yes, most Raise purchases qualify for earnings.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:37 am

Apple 8 miles/dollar today, Macbook counts?

8 miles/dollar today, does Macbooks qualify for this? I know they have TONS of exceptions on apple.com. TIA
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
8 miles/dollar today, does Macbooks qualify for this? I know they have TONS of exceptions on apple.com. TIA
Go to MP shopping and click on the Apple Store. They will list the offers and what products are excluded. Easier than having us do the research and type it out here.
SuperKirby likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.