Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Shopping - consolidated mileage posting questions / issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Plus Shopping - consolidated mileage posting questions / issues

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:06 pm

2 months seems excessive. No business process, especially one as trivial as this, should take that long. I had a newegg one take a month for them to investigate (which I never got points for but that's another story)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:30 pm

Intentional non-payment of miles

Hey everyone,

I purchased over $200 worth of product at Macy's after clicking through the Mileage Plus Shopping Macy's link last month when they were offering 10x. The miles never posted though the Milage Plus Shopping activity shows I clicked through to Macys on the date of the transaction. An investigation was opened at my request and I received an email from them stating the following:

Dear xxxxx xxxxx,

I am following up on your below email:

I am following up with you today regarding your order inquiry for Macys.com. The merchant has concluded the research on this transaction and has notified us that this order is not eligible for rewards.

Merchants pay commissions to MileagePlus Shopping and we convert that commission into rewards that we credit to your account. The merchant has indicated that the commission was payable to another party outside of our network.

How can this happen?

• Clicking on another shopping link to price compare, search for discounts/coupons, or a simple product search can result in a last click not being attributed to your account.

• Using discounts not offered on the shopping site, or discounts in mailers, or with credit card offers.

• Please check any other award/loyalty programs you or household members may belong to, commission could have been awarded to that account if that account was not properly logged out of at the time of purchase, or cookies could still be active at the time of purchase.

**If you use the Safari browser, please see here.

Regards,

xxxxx

MileagePlus Shopping Customer Care

I am 100% certain that I only used Milage Plus for the transaction and believe that Macy's vague reference to non-payment being due to it being "payable to another party outside of our network" as their attempt to get out of having to pay out. I stated my disagreement through a followup email with MilagePlus but they are ignoring me. Has this happened to anyone else? Do I have any recourse other than publicly shaming them?

Last edited by ECCM; Jan 21, 2019 at 12:42 pm
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
My wife just got her own United Explorer Visa card with me as an auth user. I'm switching all of our spend over to this new account. I'm wondering if the Mileage Plus Shopping portal will be happy for me to sign in through her account but then make purchases in my name (but using her Visa - the one I'm an auth user on). Should be fine I think - as long as the shopping portal doesn't rely on a name cross check. I'd think it probably doesn't care how/who pays, just that the transaction completes after going through the portal to the retailer. If anyone knows different, I'd love to know.
You are right. I have logged in through my wife's and son's MP shopping accounts on separate occasions to make purchases for myself (my name, address etc.). This was to keep their miles alive. Worked every time - miles posted to their accounts.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by ECCM
Hey everyone,

I purchased over $200 worth of product at Macy's after clicking through the Mileage Plus Shopping Macy's link last month when they were offering 10x. The miles never posted though the Milage Plus Shopping activity shows I clicked through to Macys on the date of the transaction. An investigation was opened at my request and I received an email from them stating the following:

Dear xxxxx xxxxx,

I am following up with you today regarding your order inquiry for Macys.com. The merchant has concluded the research on this transaction and has notified us that this order is not eligible for rewards.

Merchants pay commissions to MileagePlus Shopping and we convert that commission into rewards that we credit to your account. The merchant has indicated that the commission was payable to another party outside of our network.

How can this happen?

• Clicking on another shopping link to price compare, search for discounts/coupons, or a simple product search can result in a last click not being attributed to your account.

• Using discounts not offered on the shopping site, or discounts in mailers, or with credit card offers.

• Please check any other award/loyalty programs you or household members may belong to, commission could have been awarded to that account if that account was not properly logged out of at the time of purchase, or cookies could still be active at the time of purchase.

Regards,

xxxxx

I am 100% certain that I only used Milage Plus for the transaction and believe that Macy's vague reference to non-payment being due to it being "payable to another party outside of our network" as their attempt to get out of having to pay out. I stated my disagreement through a followup email with MilagePlus but they are ignoring me. Has this happened to anyone else? Do I have any recourse other than publicly shaming them?
When you were on the Macy's website did you use any kind of coupon code? Macys website normally shoves coupon codes down your throat while you browse. Most coupons are ok, but it's definitely possible to use a coupon on the Macys site that is not compatible with the Macys terms as stated on the MP Shopping portal. I was burned by this on a Newegg purchase.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ECCM
Hey everyone,

Dear xxxxx xxxxx,

How can this happen?

Regards,

xxxxx

Publicly shaming them or whatever you want to call it won't get you anywhere. Don't think that posting here or anywhere else is going to give you any leverage. Make sure you actually participated in an offer that was eligible, you actually purchased on the date that gave the elevated offer, and there wasn't some sort of caveat that disqualified the order. I'm betting it went just like they say it did and one of the reasons they gave disqualified it.

What I do is make sure I close and restart my browser, disable my ad block program, and only use one window before I do portal shopping. That way it can eliminate browser issues.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by gmt4
Publicly shaming them or whatever you want to call it won't get you anywhere. Don't think that posting here or anywhere else is going to give you any leverage. Make sure you actually participated in an offer that was eligible, you actually purchased on the date that gave the elevated offer, and there wasn't some sort of caveat that disqualified the order. I'm betting it went just like they say it did and one of the reasons they gave disqualified it.

What I do is make sure I close and restart my browser, disable my ad block program, and only use one window before I do portal shopping. That way it can eliminate browser issues.
regarding the third party thing, does Macy’s sell third party items like “Sears Marketplace” ? Those third party vendors also never paid commission
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:21 pm

I am definitely positive none of the reasons applied. I'm always careful to do a clean click through and to purchase soon after opening the site through Mileage Plus. The numerous broad, non-specific, possible reasons for why they didn't pay out can be used as an excuse for any transaction they do not want to honor. Social media has the potential to keep unscrupulous companies in check. I work for a large company and know that many customers read reviews carefully and management gives bonuses for employees who "encourage" customers to leave positive reviews. They matter and bad reviews make them very uncomfortable.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:11 pm

So did you use a coupon code at Macys?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:37 am

Update: after requesting the issue be escalated for further review, I heard back from CSR that the points will be awarded to me and they are already showing in my account. Persistence and posting here made the difference....all good now.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Back in late Jan/early Feb, 1800flowers.com was offering 30 United miles per $, however I only got 15 miles per $ and when I first contacted MileagePlus, they told me to contact 1800flowers, when I did so, they said the promo is 15 miles/$ (which coincidentally is the promo as of today). I unfortunately didn't take a screenshot of the promotion page but I found a couple of blog posts (DOC, TPG) from that time referencing the 30miles that I sent to them as "proof". I'm waiting to hear back but any tips for my situation? (other than to take screenshots whenever (a BIG IF I EVER AGAIN) I place another order).

Also, is it common for MileagePlus to not care and pawn me off to the shopping partner?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
... Also, is it common for MileagePlus to not care and pawn me off to the shopping partner?
The offer was made by the partner. If the partner ultimate fails to deliver, notify MP they have a bad partner. But it was the partner / vendor you had the agreement with.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:25 pm

I see.

1800flowers just replied with the same line. Now I will escalate back to United.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:32 pm

Cartera (who run the MPS Portal) should have a record of what the points per $ offering was on the day you made the transaction. Rates often change daily, so you need to be careful the rate is what you think it is (and not, for example, what you saw at 10pm the day before).
I have found Catera customer service to be generally good, but they have no problem denying claims if the customer didnt meet the requirements at the time. They have never referred me back to the retailer directly. Sometimes I have disputed a retailer response but catera has always responded again on my behalf.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:10 am

I just heard back from MileagePlus (who I presume would be Cartera?) and they told me to go pound sand again. They said the merchant has the final say and are the only ones who can verify the deal. What a crock of .....
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:42 am

Yes, it would be Cartera handling communications with the MPS portal. It seems strange. If they paid you 15 miles/$ they must know you made a transaction on a certain date.
They must also know the start and end date of any promotion such as the 30 miles/$ you say was offered. If your transaction was made on a date that a promo was on they should pay you correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.