Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Shopping - consolidated mileage posting questions / issues

Mileage Plus Shopping - consolidated mileage posting questions / issues

Old Jan 22, 18, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Hopefully this hasn't been asked, and that search isn't broken.

I want to double dip in a couple bonuses. I would like to buy a Best Buy GC at BB with the new Chase Pay promotion for 10x points, and then use that GC to buy some items from BB through mileageplus shopping to take advantage of email I just received (1000 miles after $200 purchase).

Any experience with getting MP credit when paying with a store gift card? I've seen paying through Paypal as counting so i'm guess as long as the qualifying transaction occurs through MP Shopping portal they don't care how you pay.
While I have very little experience using Mileageplus Shopping, I want to say this cannot be done. Mileageplus Shopping works by issuing it's own gift card on the spot that you then show to the cashier via your phone/app. Using your own payment method voids this flow.
Old Jan 22, 18, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
While I have very little experience using Mileageplus Shopping, I want to say this cannot be done. Mileageplus Shopping works by issuing it's own gift card on the spot that you then show to the cashier via your phone/app. Using your own payment method voids this flow.
Are you maybe thinking of the M+ app thing? I have never received a gift card "on the spot" from using the shopping portal.
The OP was asking about buying a physical gift card at the BB store, then using it on the M+ shopping portal to pay for a new purchase, rather then using a generic Visa / MC etc.

I would give it a shot, and would say it is 50/50 on if it works. IIRC, some websites indicate that GC will not count toward mileage, along with shipping charges, and promo codes not available on M+. But the logic behind it is not always 100% accurate.
Old Jan 22, 18, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Are you maybe thinking of the M+ app thing? I have never received a gift card "on the spot" from using the shopping portal.
The OP was asking about buying a physical gift card at the BB store, then using it on the M+ shopping portal to pay for a new purchase, rather then using a generic Visa / MC etc.

I would give it a shot, and would say it is 50/50 on if it works. IIRC, some websites indicate that GC will not count toward mileage, along with shipping charges, and promo codes not available on M+. But the logic behind it is not always 100% accurate.
Oh, yes, you're right. I was thinking of the M+ App. Sorry about that.
Old Jan 22, 18, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Any experience with getting MP credit when paying with a store gift card? I've seen paying through Paypal as counting so i'm guess as long as the qualifying transaction occurs through MP Shopping portal they don't care how you pay.
I have definitely double-dipped by using the MileagePlus X app to purchase a gift card to use via MileagePlus shopping. However, I'd read the terms and conditions for the particular store first to make sure that they don't say anything about method of payment. Generally, they wouldn't -- they may exclude purchases of gift cards but rarely would exclude purchases with gift cards.
Old Jan 27, 18, 11:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Recent email
2017 Year in Review
How many award miles did the average MileagePlus® Shopping member earn last year? How many bonus award miles did we give away? Check out the stats below and don't forget to start at MileagePlus Shopping to earn miles when you shop online in 2018.

Here's how your fellow shoppers did last year:
Average number of miles earned by our members. 3,029
Total miles awarded to 2017 shoppers. 421,810,515 (nearly 140K purchasers?)
Number of bonus miles awarded to shoppers in 2017. 107,484,050
Our most popular store in 2017. Macy's
Old Apr 6, 18, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I'm having a weird problem that started in the second half of March. I've made 5 purchases from MP Shopping and I haven't gotten credit for any of them. I made three of them a little over a week ago, one of them three days ago, and one of them today.

While I realize that the two recent transactions may need some more time to post, the three that were a week plus ago should have posted by now.

I went into the "My Account" page in MP shopping. All of my "Store Visits" are showing up, but my purchases are showing up as a "Store Visit."

I am using Safari and I made purchases on my iPhone as well as my MacBook Pro.

The onlynthing I noticed is when I'm on the MP Shopping site and I select my store, the. stores web page opens in a new tab. I can't remember if it did this before.

Right now I'm working with MP Shopping to get credit for the first three purchases. I'm giving a few more days before I follow up with the last two purchases.

I've had to dig for gredits in the past a few times, but this happening this frequently is new. Is anyone else ha ing. this issue?
Old Apr 6, 18, 11:06 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by phkc070408 View Post
I'm having a weird problem that started in the second half of March. I've made 5 purchases from MP Shopping and I haven't gotten credit for any of them. I made three of them a little over a week ago, one of them three days ago, and one of them today.

While I realize that the two recent transactions may need some more time to post, the three that were a week plus ago should have posted by now.

I went into the "My Account" page in MP shopping. All of my "Store Visits" are showing up, but my purchases are showing up as a "Store Visit."

I am using Safari and I made purchases on my iPhone as well as my MacBook Pro.

The onlynthing I noticed is when I'm on the MP Shopping site and I select my store, the. stores web page opens in a new tab. I can't remember if it did this before.

Right now I'm working with MP Shopping to get credit for the first three purchases. I'm giving a few more days before I follow up with the last two purchases.

I've had to dig for gredits in the past a few times, but this happening this frequently is new. Is anyone else ha ing. this issue?
I've had some issues in the past with slow/no mileage posting and having to dig for it. However I've noticed in the past few months that the miles are posting much more quickly, usually within a few days, and sometimes before I even receive the item ordered.
Old Apr 9, 18, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER View Post
I've had some issues in the past with slow/no mileage posting and having to dig for it. However I've noticed in the past few months that the miles are posting much more quickly, usually within a few days, and sometimes before I even receive the item ordered.
I was having good luck for a while myself. It seems that ever since the third week of March, everything stopped posting. Or course I am in touch with MP Shopping about this, but as usual, the response time is slow with them.
Old Apr 10, 18, 4:00 am

I've had a few MPShopping orders from the last week of March and all but one posted. I'm not worried about the last one at this moment, as that particular store always waits the full 3 weeks to clear the order to MPShopping.

I did note that the "Your order has been tracked through MileagePlus Shopping" emails are quite sporadic. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't, but the miles will still post even when I don't get it.
Old Jun 18, 18, 10:34 am

I usually book my flights directly through United.com, but I notice that Travelocity is now included in Mileage Plus Shopping at 1 mile/doller. There is also a promotion on right now giving bonus miles for spending through Mileage Plus Shopping. Is there any downside to booking through Travelocity? I know they default to Basic Economy, but do give the choice of "upgrading" to economy at checkout. The price is the same as what I get on the United website. Would there be any issue with getting my Club Card benefits if booked through Travelocity? Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 18, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I usually book my flights directly through United.com, but I notice that Travelocity is now included in Mileage Plus Shopping at 1 mile/doller. There is also a promotion on right now giving bonus miles for spending through Mileage Plus Shopping. Is there any downside to booking through Travelocity? I know they default to Basic Economy, but do give the choice of "upgrading" to economy at checkout. The price is the same as what I get on the United website. Would there be any issue with getting my Club Card benefits if booked through Travelocity? Thanks.
It says in the Club Card T&C " To receive first and second standard checked bags free, the primary Cardmember must include their MileagePlus® number in their reservation and use their MileagePlus Club Card to purchase their ticket(s)."

However if you've got status you should get checked bags as well.
Old Jun 18, 18, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
It says in the Club Card T&C " To receive first and second standard checked bags free, the primary Cardmember must include their MileagePlus® number in their reservation and use their MileagePlus Club Card to purchase their ticket(s)."

However if you've got status you should get checked bags as well.
I'm planning on using my Club Card to book through Travelocity. Just dodn't know if anyone had experienced any issues. Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 18, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I'm planning on using my Club Card to book through Travelocity. Just dodn't know if anyone had experienced any issues. Thanks.
You should be fine, you'd just get the 1.5x/$ base instead of 2x thru UA.com. Then of course you'd get the portal miles that might make up for the .5x difference depending on what the fare is. The only concern might be the two checked bags per the T&C as I said above, but having status might otherwise mitigate that. I wouldn't worry. Just avoid BE.
Old Jun 18, 18, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
You should be fine, you'd just get the 1.5x/$ base instead of 2x thru UA.com. Then of course you'd get the portal miles that might make up for the .5x difference depending on what the fare is. The only concern might be the two checked bags per the T&C as I said above, but having status might otherwise mitigate that. I wouldn't worry. Just avoid BE.
I booked through Travelocity tonight. It looks like everything worked fine. The website is showing 2 free bags, so that part worked out OK. So the difference is only .5 miles/dollar for the transaction as you stated, but it will also qualify me for the 1,000 mile bonus being offered by Mileage Plus Shopping right now, so worth the bother.

Travelociy does make it pretty clear that their price is for BE, and that you can upgrade at checkout. The inconvenience is that you can't see the regular economy price until that point. Fortunately I already knew the price from searching on United.com. Thanks for the responses.
Old Jun 18, 18, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Now, are there any other caveats on mileage earnings on flights booked through an OTA vs direct through UA? I've only ever booked directly through UA. If I go through Travelocity to take advantage of this, will I still earn full PQM/PQD?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: