Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2012 Edition [Compensation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2012 Edition [Compensation]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: UA-1K
$250/20%/9k for a 4-hr delay. Took 20% system wide.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:29 am

Man I need to whine to UA more (instead of Continental, not just whining more in general). I am a 1k/Plat

I got a $125 gift certificate on a flight cancelled for MX reasons (rebooked the next day).

I also got a 10% off coupon and a drink coupon (no choice) for a flight diverted from LGA to EWR coupled with my bags being delayed until the following day because they didn't make it on my flight.

That is all Continental.... sounds less than awesome.

Last edited by fragment54; Jan 24, 2012 at 10:55 am
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:53 am

Received Compensation Email, but then UA changed the offer

Had a service issue recently, and received an email with apology and link to select compensation. When I looked on Sunday night, they were offering 9k miles, $200 cert, or 20% off cert. Figured I would think about it for a few days. Today I went to select the $200 cert, and low and behold, the offer has been reduced to 7k miles, $150 cert, or 20% off cert. What gives?

Better select the $150 before they change their mind again.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM
To wit

“A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
IIRC when you access that link it says something to the effect that the offer presented is good only for that visit. You might call and omplained or tell your dog unplugged the computer.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1.5MM 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime
Not sure why I received compensation

Greetings all -

Last week I flew from LAX - IAD, and then IAD - PWM

Apparently, Business Class on the 750am 777 was not filled with headsets, so everyone received a compensation slip of paper. Low and behold, it was for $250 ecert or 9000 miles. Of course I had my Bose NC headset, so whoohoo for me. They handed them to everyone regardless.

Then I boarded my puddle jumper to Maine. I was placed in row 2, and due to weight balancing, the FA asked for volunteers to move to the back of the plane. Since they always take forever to deliver carry-on bags, I had no problem moving. Again, the FA comes back and hands me a compensation slip! This one was for $125 ecert or 4500 miles.

So, I had a pretty good day and round trip points fill. 9,152 points, plus 13,500 bonus = 22,652!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA MM 100k; SPG Lifetime Titanium
I live outside the US and travel on UA outside the US

I never buy Domestic sectors as they are always part of an International ticket

Is there any way to avoid being given the unusable (because theye are for US Domestic flights only) option of the eCert's?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Elite Upgrades on Reward Ticket

Was not added to the elite listing on a reward ticket as I should have been. In addition, LAX airport staff treated me like crap when I asked about it and acted like I was making this policy up. Wrote in to CO on the website and they addressed the issue and offered me a $150 voucher. Overall happy with the result, but hoping they fix the bugs in the system.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PENMM
I live outside the US and travel on UA outside the US

I never buy Domestic sectors as they are always part of an International ticket

Is there any way to avoid being given the unusable (because theye are for US Domestic flights only) option of the eCert's?
many times the percentage off option is good for system wide flights. The $ off is usually limited to domestic travel but many international flyers have reported success in requesting system wide $ off replacement vouchers.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: United
what/how to ask for compensation for 23hr turnaround + delay on SFO-SYD?

Last night's UA 863 (SFO-SYD) turned around after 2 hrs due to (apparently) a malfunctioning weather radar. I'm wondering what compensation we might be entitled to and any tips on the best way to get it?

We landed back at SFO ~3:30am and as I live nearby, we left and were lucky enough to grab a taxi dropping someone off and got home reasonably quickly and $81 later. Today we face another $40 in bus fares to get back to the airport. I'd be happy to get a reimbursement for taxi + bus (~$120), but when I called, I was told I'd have to work it out at the airport tonight.

Any suggestions on the best way to proceed?

Fwiw, other data:
+ Two passengers, neither with any elite status
+ Flying on K class tix that were upgraded SFO-SYD to BC class (Business?) using $600 + 30k miles each
+ UA told us last night to leave and call the 800 number to work out compensation later. Calling the 800 said "we only handle reservations, you need to sort it out at the airport"
+ UA last night were offering meal vouchers and *trying* to get hotels but apparently v little space available in SF and only a handful of 1st class passengers received hotel vouchers before we left. (I feel bad for the 500+ people who were destined to be stranded - they were also having trouble getting shuttles and there were no taxis in sight)

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA MM 100k; SPG Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
many times the percentage off option is good for system wide flights. The $ off is usually limited to domestic travel but many international flyers have reported success in requesting system wide $ off replacement vouchers.
Thank you very much for your helpful reply

Is there a thread somewhere that I can read to follow up on this and learn how to do this process?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
For what's it's worth ... there surely won't be C seats available for the next few days, so each of you will be getting $600 + 30k miles back.

OMG....15 hours in Y!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by exerda
Interesting question. You will definitely get EQM for the LH flights ex-BOS (and if they booked into full J, you should expect 150% EQM on those). I'm scratching my head a bit about what you'll get for the ORD-BOS portion, given it was a diversion... you should get something (probably the normal ORD-BOS EQM of 867). You may have to file a missing miles request or fax in the BP stub with a brief note explaining the diversion.
Follow-up: took a call to MP customer service and 10 min of patience, but I was granted the RDM/EQM/EQS for ORD-BOS without question.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: Hilton: Diamond/Everything else: Kettle...
Let the de-hubbing begin...

I was scheduled on a flight from DCA to TPA via CLE.

I was checking my upcoming flights and notice that my early Sat. morning flight from DCA to CLE has been cancelled. Try to fix on-line (no luck, as the system said I can change for no fee, but tried to charge me a fee and flight cost delta). Called the main line (didn't have my elite card yet, so didn't have a number to call) - explained that the new DCA-CLE flight left after the CLE-TPA flight did, so wanted to change. She said she could rebook for later, but wouldn't get into TPA until after 5pm (meeting the family for Spring Break, so I want to maximize the time). I asked if it was possible to catch the 6:30pm on Friday night to CLE, then the regular one to TPA and I'd just get a hotel for the night. I was placed on hold (hopefully some decent music in the merger ) and she came back with my flight was changed and she arranged for meal vouchers and the hotel room in Cleveland. I wasn't expecting anything like that, but appreciate the effort she went through to take care of me (rejoining the Elite ranks after several years based out of a WN hub...).

Wonder how many other flights to CLE have "disappeared" off the radar...

Jim

Last edited by compubit; Jan 25, 2012 at 5:23 pm Reason: Added a comment...
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P
20 hours later but overall UA handled it OK

My Jan 11 IAD-ACC flight at 10:45pm was cancelled at about 12:30am due to mechanical. Passengers were given hotel and taxi vouchers. Seemed to be handled pretty well by the gate agents considering the late hour. The flight was then scheduled to take off at 5pm the next day, Jan 12. But at about 4:30pm again the passengers were told that there was a mechanical problem. The gate area erupted with a lot of yelling and frustration among passengers. I was relaxed because I'm local and had built some cushion into my trip. It took a while and the airline could have done a better job on initial communications (which did get better), but we eventually moved to another gate and the airplane and took off at 7pm Jan 12th. So almost 20 hours later than the original departure time.

I'm a 1P/gold and was traveling economy plus. For my troubles, I received an appreciation message very quickly and choice of 20K RDM, $500 cert, or 20% off. I took the $500 cert. It was, indeed, an inconvenience, but I was glad not to be over the water with a mechanical problem! I was happy with the overall way that UA handled the situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.