Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2012 Edition [Compensation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2012 Edition [Compensation]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
6 hour mechanical delay

1K: 9000 RDM, 10% off or $200 off
Took $200

GM: $75 off or 20% off
Took 20% off

Strange!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:38 pm

UA500 on 01/12

01/12 - UA500, PHX - DEN had a "hole" in it, waited 30 minutes after boarding and then the pilot announced that the plane was getting grounded. No other flights available so most of us ended up waiting for 6 hours for replacement, and then another 2 hours for a flight plan and crew. Finally got into DEN at 2:30am, wow that place is a ghost town that late at night.

1P: 9000 RDM, 10% off or $200 off
Took $200
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
just received compensation for the a fuel-stop delay from CDG-IAD. This was related to the controversy of UA/CO using CO 757 on TATL flights even though they consistently cannot make it over the water without a fuel stop... see here
http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...sions/601251/1

I complained after reading this above piece and the WSJ piece, after I misconnected landing in IAD. 1K Customer Solution offered 25,000 miles!

i think thats the single largest goodwill comp ive ever seen!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist and others via Amex Plat
CO 28 cancelled & then downgraded

1/18 CO28 EWR-LHR
In BF courtesy of SWU, cleared at time of booking. (Main reason for choosing this flight. Am UA 1K, CO Plat, booked via CO.com).
1.5 hours after scheduled departure time, whilst sat on place, announcement made that the flight was being cancelled due to maintenance issue and that there were no BF seats on the remaining 2 flights to LHR.
Needed to get home today, so took a Y seat on CO8.
While seated on CO8 waiting to depart given $1,000 E-Cert.
Upshot was downgrade from BF and left 2 hours later than planned. SWU not yet posted back to my account.

In your opinions is this a fair offer of compensation?
Should I push for more / as a minimum expect the SWU to be re-deposited?

Many thanks....
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by UKUAFlyer
1/18 CO28 EWR-LHR
In BF courtesy of SWU, cleared at time of booking. (Main reason for choosing this flight. Am UA 1K, CO Plat, booked via CO.com).
1.5 hours after scheduled departure time, whilst sat on place, announcement made that the flight was being cancelled due to maintenance issue and that there were no BF seats on the remaining 2 flights to LHR.
Upshot was downgrade from BF and left 2 hours later than planned. SWU not yet posted back to my account.

Many thanks....
Fair offer? ABSOLUTELY
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:26 am

Had an inoperable AVOD for my seat on a DUB-EWR flight. Was offered $100 E-cert.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Thimee
01/12 - UA500, PHX - DEN had a "hole" in it, waited 30 minutes after boarding and then the pilot announced that the plane was getting grounded. No other flights available so most of us ended up waiting for 6 hours for replacement, and then another 2 hours for a flight plan and crew. Finally got into DEN at 2:30am, wow that place is a ghost town that late at night.

1P: 9000 RDM, 10% off or $200 off
Took $200
I was also boarded, and then deplaned, onto a plane with a "quarter-sized" hole in it a few months back, EWR-LAX. I never got any kind of compensation, but we boarded a new plane a couple hours later. Also, it was Continental not UA.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Baggage did not arrive on flight to HNL. Arrived about 10 hours later. Offered $100.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
UKUAFLYER: I think you deserve the SWU back. A $1000 cert is very generous BUT you lost an upgraded seat worth a lot more than that. I would not ask for more money, however. You have your future to consider where you want UA to be sympathetic to whatever plight they put you in and not view you as a greedy unreasonable customer.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 2MM + 1k, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Would you expect (ask for) compensation for a 4 hour mechanical delay (Europe-US)?

I was recently delayed on a United flight, Europe to the West Coast. Mechanical issue with the plane. The flight left four hours after scheduled departure time.

Would this delay require compensation, per European Regulation 261/2004? If I understand this rule correctly, the European courts have ruled that sufficiently long delays are equivalent to cancelled flights, when the issue is a mechanical problem.

Am I correct, and if so, do I just contact UA 1k voice? If Regulation 261/204 doesn't apply, would you still pursue compensation?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Doug 1029
Originally Posted by UKUAFlyer
1/18 CO28 EWR-LHR

Many thanks....
Fair offer? ABSOLUTELY
And I'll see your "ABSOLUTELY" and raise it with and OMG with a re-raise to "take the money and run before they change their mind!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
SFO-71: Start your process with www.united.com/appreciation and see if they already loaded your compensation. Then go to 1K Voice. Or call Customer Service.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by SFO_71
I was recently delayed on a United flight, Europe to the West Coast. Mechanical issue with the plane. The flight left four hours after scheduled departure time.

Would this delay require compensation, per European Regulation 261/2004? If I understand this rule correctly, the European courts have ruled that sufficiently long delays are equivalent to cancelled flights, when the issue is a mechanical problem.

Am I correct, and if so, do I just contact UA 1k voice? If Regulation 261/204 doesn't apply, would you still pursue compensation?
EC261/2004 applies to your situation (flight length of 3500 km or more) if the delay was longer than 4 hours so you have to establish the exact length of delay. If EC261/2004 does apply, you will be dealing with Customer Relations and expect a tough time. There are numerous threads on this. I'm surprised you haven't been offered some form of compensation already.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist and others via Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Karen2
UKUAFLYER: I think you deserve the SWU back. A $1000 cert is very generous BUT you lost an upgraded seat worth a lot more than that. I would not ask for more money, however. You have your future to consider where you want UA to be sympathetic to whatever plight they put you in and not view you as a greedy unreasonable customer.
Many thanks for your reply Karen, and for others.

I didn't raise the issue of compensation, this was a pro-active measure by CO. In 15 years of being a UA frequent flyer this would be only the 3rd time I've had cause for concern, so thought I'd check with esteemed FT'ers.
One reason for my questions was a pax saying he thought CO would raise this to $2k or $3k. Perhaps wishful thinking on his part!
Hopefully the SWU will post back, or I'll politely request it does!
As an aside both the CO28 and CO9 were pretty empty in Y, as was CO29 on 1/14.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 2MM + 1k, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Karen2
SFO-71: Start your process with www.united.com/appreciation and see if they already loaded your compensation. Then go to 1K Voice. Or call Customer Service.
Thanks to Karen2 and wilp888 for the responses. The United Status website conveniently showed a 3 hour departure delay (not true, more like 4:05 hours) and the correct arrival time, which was 4 hours, 30 minutes after the scheduled arrival time. [I checked some other web-sites to confirm the actual depart. and arriv. times]

Not a peep from United about the delays, and nothing loaded in the compensation website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.