Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

N194UA (Old Cabin 747-400) Returns to United Fleet for Charter Flights [2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

N194UA (Old Cabin 747-400) Returns to United Fleet for Charter Flights [2012]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jmhayes
Ugh - I didn't think it was possible to have a livery uglier than the new one
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Seems to be a pretty half-@$$ed paint job. With the push for one unified look for all planes post-merger (not making any judgements on that design, but instead stating what is fact), it would appear this aircraft is only halfway done.

Also, with the "charter" designation painted on this aircraft, i'd doubt to see it in revenue service, and as such, don't see it getting a unified interior with the rest of the fleet.

Just my 2¢
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Ugh - I didn't think it was possible to have a livery uglier than the new one
The upsides are that is does not come with the globe or the gold and grey bottom.. ^

I kind of like the back portion, as well as the blue engines.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
"charter" looks to be in the DL font
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like the word CHARTER under the United name.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by kwildnj
Seems to be a pretty half-@$$ed paint job.
Ok, that is not even a paint job, just basically peel off the Atlas logo decal at the tail, the winglets, and the letters on the fuselage !
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:43 am

I actually quite like though, for a non-full time plane it looks pretty clean.

Will it sub for other 744's if one goes tech at SFO?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
As suggested by someone up-thread, here's a what-if:

1. UA flight 8nn ex-SFO to Asia is a scheduled 747, and goes mx in advance of departure.
2. There are no other 747s available.
3. N194UA is sitting at SFO, has no scheduled work for a week, and is fully airworthy.

Would dispatch utilize N194UA for a scheduled revenue trip, rather than canceling the entire cycle of the mx'ed aircraft?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy
As suggested by someone up-thread, here's a what-if:

1. UA flight 8nn ex-SFO to Asia is a scheduled 747, and goes mx in advance of departure.
2. There are no other 747s available.
3. N194UA is sitting at SFO, has no scheduled work for a week, and is fully airworthy.

Would dispatch utilize N194UA for a scheduled revenue trip, rather than canceling the entire cycle of the mx'ed aircraft?
IMHO, as far as dispatch for commercial routes is concerned, N194UA is dead to them. This would be similar to a case where Shuttle America has a UX E170 go mechanical, but they have a ton of Delta painted E170s lying around, and even though they are all Shuttle America planes, they can't use it for a UX flight. Now of course they do have two unmarked planes that are capable of being subbed for either United or Delta missions, but branded planes are required to stay with their own operations' brands. I'd imagine UA Charter and UA commercial simply don't mix.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/Prem Exec, HH/Gold, TW/Gold
Originally Posted by bniu
I'd imagine UA Charter and UA commercial simply don't mix.
Have you seen any indication that United Charter has its own certificate? I would have thought it was just a brand, like PS ... there's non-PS metal that subs for PS flights all the time. That being said, I guess we'll have to wait and see where it goes first. For all we know, it's not even in service yet; just because it got paint doesn't mean they are ready to have it make flights.

One issue in all of this is that from what I've read, UA expected the Atlas lease to be two years and this is thus an "early return" -- so maybe this has been planned for a while, or maybe it's just being improvised a bit. Notice that we haven't seen any press releases about the "United Charter" branding?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by bniu
IMHO, as far as dispatch for commercial routes is concerned, N194UA is dead to them. This would be similar to a case where Shuttle America has a UX E170 go mechanical, but they have a ton of Delta painted E170s lying around, and even though they are all Shuttle America planes, they can't use it for a UX flight. Now of course they do have two unmarked planes that are capable of being subbed for either United or Delta missions, but branded planes are required to stay with their own operations' brands. I'd imagine UA Charter and UA commercial simply don't mix.
Then why did I endure a "TED" A320 on mainline flights so many times? The explanation was always, "Would you have preferred we canceled the flight?" I'm betting '194 will find itself on scheduled flights if the circumstances occur as I originally suggested.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I like the fact it is officially designated Charter so that if it is subbed you have a little more leverage if you complain about not getting lie flat. It will be clear you were put on a non-standard craft.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:45 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jmhayes
Very nice find. Thank you!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Friend @ Willis said that ops will use it if they need to preserve schedule integrity, so yes, this plane could be used if there isn't another 747-400 available. Would you rather the flight be cancelled?

I think this is a great idea... some airlines (like Air Canada) have always had a few planes dedicated for charter - and if this means more flying for United, great news!

Regarding FlightAware, that is NOT the most accurate system out there. And an operator can opt to have flight plans blocked from public view, which is why you aren't seeing everywhere the plane goes. Just try to track some Vision flights. They will be spotty, at best.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I know Northwest did (DL still does?) have a few 742's dedicated to charters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.