Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Sitting in a meeting room today with 2 folks, one an expiring 1K, another a US elite.

Jan 4 LAX-NRT
1K paid $2200 (travel continues to SE Asia) and WL with SWU
US elite paid $1400 (same itinerary). Upon online-check in offered $589 upgrade to C. "opt for opulence" (I told him to decline due to being old config).

The 1K wasn't aware of the massive downgrades to MP (and United generally) due to the infestation of CO. It was great to have a ready-made example for our quick discussion on the topic. He booked his March trip on SQ later in the afternoon. ^
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
In my case, I 'knew' that the liklihood of an SWU clearing was very close to zero... And I am travelling with my wife, so two SWU's clearing? Probably not.

My choices?

- Buy Y ($2.5K each R/T) and plan to sit in E+
- Buy Y (W) and SWU - I do not recall what the W fares cost.
- Buy Y and hope for a miles plus copay upgrade - 30,000 miles plus $500 (I think)

- Spend lots of miles for business award seats... Standard awards.
- Spend $7.8K R/T to buy C class seats (Z)

Then I read yyzprincess' post and decided to try her suggestion. Bought low fare Y, applied for (and waitlisted for) a miles/copay upgrade to C. Looked for the the Premium Upsell offer, and bought it. $5K per seat for F SFO-SYD R/T.

If I had been confident that my SWU's would clear, I probably would not have gone with this option.

The fact that it ended up booking in to A was not consequential to my decision... However, I am glad it did and I will take the extra 50% EQM and RDM!
Just back from Sydney today. We did the bridge climb in the morning, then lunch in the Rocks, then off to the airport to catch the 4:20 flight home.

I had absolutely zero problems either direction. Nobody questioned the double upgrade. We went to the SFO IFL for a couple of hours on our outbound, and today to the Air NZ lounge for an hour or so at SYD. Thanks UA.

I ended up buying the same tickets for my children as well, and it definitely made our first days in Australia and our first day back here so much easier as we all slept for 6 + hours in the very comfortable F suites.

All in all, very happy with the choce I made. 4 Y tickets were about $10K, and there is no way my SWU's would have cleared on this route on our dates. So, for an extra $10K, we all four flew R/T in F.

Some stats:
Booked with my UA MP Visa - triple RDM's - so $20K of tickets = 60K RDM's
Booked in to A so I received 18,543 RDM's each direction with the elite bonus. Family received 11,126 RDM's each direction since none have status. 11,126 (150% of 7,417) EQM's too for the A class booking.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dhuey
Like the likes of me -- no status on UA, and yet I keep showing up in UA's and its *A partners' premium cabins, one way or another.
How do you accumulate the miles?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:33 am

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Not unless there is a hickup in the system

EmailKid
That means the odds are pretty good
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:04 am

IAH-LAS Round Trip
Purchase T fare
Offered $503 each way
PCU-Offered on co.com

Accept it?
Hell to tha no
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:52 am

Will upsell price go down?

SFO-KIX $999 each way from (K) and (S) fare respectively to business
Still lots of seats available for mid-March flight.

SFO-KIX
F6, A6, C9, D9, Z9, Y9, B9, E0, M9, U9, H9, Q9, V9, W9, T9, S9, K9, L9, G9, XY9, NY9, XF0, NF0, J9, XC1, NC8
KIX-SFO
F7, A7, C9, D9, Z9, Y9, B9, E0, M9, U9, H9, Q9, V9, W9, T9, S9, K9, L9, G0, XY0, NY0, XF0, NF1, J9, XC3, NC9

Any chance the price will go down in the next couple months? I know my mother was offered $300 each way at kiosk last year on a same flight.

Many thanks for your feedback.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by goalie
Rec'd a PCU e-mail for my flight (UA907 SFO-ORD, 1/7/12, 3 cabin 67)

U/g is waitlisted
$65 buy-up to C
Fare bucket W
Flight is F4,C9,NF2,NC0 and showing 7 seats unassigned* in C and 5 in F
Declined**

*I know the seat map is not a good indication

**it's a matter of principle with me when it comes to paying cash to upgrade when I'm already on the waitlist
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura
Interesting. I'm also flying SFO-ORD on 1/7, although I'm on UA 734.
Fare bucket W.
PCU of $300 is on offer on .bomb.

$300 is what I always saw on ORD-SFO in 2011, so I'm wondering if the $65 offer is either .bomb screw-up or a typo by Goalie.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: QF P1,UA 1K,HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
ORD-FRA

I was offered y(L) to c $999 ORD-FRA.
I declined, if it were the returned I would have considered it.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:31 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ken1496
Any chance the price will go down in the next couple months? I know my mother was offered $300 each way at kiosk last year on a same flight.
Doubt it will come down. Methinks your mother got VERY lucky. That plus prices are up over early last year.

EmailKid
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by XLR26
$300 is what I always saw on ORD-SFO in 2011, so I'm wondering if the $65 offer is either .bomb screw-up or a typo by Goalie.
It was a mis-read. Actual offer was $399.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...dollars-3.html
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Offered Y -> F on ExPlus regional jet between Denver and Calgary for $150. Declined. One-fifty would buy about a hundred of the snack boxes they serve in First on those RJs.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:22 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Upgrade update

Rec'd a PCU e-mail for my flight (UA907 SFO-ORD, 1/7/12, 3 cabin 67)

U/g is waitlisted
$65 buy-up to C
Fare bucket W
Flight is F4,C9,NF2,NC0 and showing 7 seats unassigned* in C and 5 in F
Declined**

*I know the seat map is not a good indication

**it's a matter of principle with me when it comes to paying cash to upgrade when I'm already on the waitlist
Update is that I cleared UDU overnight but my apologies as where the "initial" offer of starting at $65 was in fact just that-an initial offer as my true offer was $399 when i clicked all the way thru (but still, being offered to buy-up when the upgrade is already waitlisted? ).
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Offered NC->F for $389 on 1/2 for LAX-JFK. Declined and enjoyed row 9 instead.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis First
ORD-DSM w/ return 2/10-2/12
3/4 legs on E70, one ER4
W on the outbound, S on return
$75 per leg to go Y-> C at booking.
Declined. Have 3A or 3F on all the E70 legs and i'll roll the dice w/ CPU.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
the "initial" offer of starting at $65 was in fact just that-an initial offer as my true offer was $399 when i clicked all the way thru
goalie - I "think" that the 'initial offer' might well have been a more generic type, such as "BUY UP to F, for as low as $65". That's been my experience when I've downloaded the HTML emails anyway.
Glad you cleared!!
Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.