Wiki Posts
Search

Do I WANT to request a GPU upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Question Do I WANT to request a GPU upgrade??

Here's the scoop: I have 4 GPU expiring in January of 2014, as many of you do too.

My GF and I want to go to SE Asia in the fall of 2013, spending perhaps 3-5 weeks there. As of now, I can confirm ZERO R space in late October, to any Asian destination. Ok, fine.

However, I'm convinced that some R space will open long before flight time. The trouble is, I can't guess WHICH gateway and destination that'll be. Fine again.

I'm willing to pay any applicable change fees to confirm R space once it opens from different locations or on different dates.

The question: am I better off NOT requesting upgrades now, so that my GPUs will be "fresh" and not need to be "cancelled" / re-deposited when I make any needed routing changes?? Or, do I simply request the upgrades now, and play wait and see??

TIA!!
Dave
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by bseller

The question: am I better off NOT requesting upgrades now, so that my GPUs will be "fresh" and not need to be "cancelled" / re-deposited when I make any needed routing changes?? Or, do I simply request the upgrades now, and play wait and see??

TIA!!
Dave
Request them now, so if space does open up on your booked routing you'll be high on the waitlist and hopefully clear.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I would maximize my chances by flying Tuesday-Thursday. I've never failed to clear on those days.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I would maximize my chances by flying Tuesday-Thursday. I've never failed to clear on those days.
Even on peak routes/equipment I've had luck on mid-week TPACs, so yes, I second that.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:38 pm

Just askin"!
Are "W" fares going to go through the roof (to anywhere in Asia) in the next 10 months, and is there a need to book flights asap with a possibility of changing them and paying $250.00 each to grab 4 GPU's (2 each way) if & when they become available?
Just askin'?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
check out this tool mentioned in thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ty-awards.html
the data is delayed, but it is a quick and easy way to look at R bucket availability for a given direct route over a multi-month range.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
I think it depends on how specific you need the dates and destinations

When I need to get a pretty specific date and destination then I book well in adanvce. Recently booked DEN-LHR for June where I needed to be there on a specific date I June. I was taking that flight regardless of class. The GPU cleared about 3 weeks ago.

When I am taking a spur of the movement trip like a rent DEN-HNL I just see what is available in the upgrade class and go for it. We ended up in HNL just because there RPU cleared right there and then. I had to burn them before the end of the year

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 2, 2013 at 5:21 am Reason: inappropriate content removed
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:21 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Request them. Sometimes UA does clear upgrade even if there is no R space. My EWR-OSL upgrade cleared overnight and I never got an alert that R space opened up from EF. Others have reported similar experience.

Keep in mind when status and fare class are equal, time of request will serve as the tie-breaker, which can prove to be crucial especially for those on W fares.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njcommodore
Request them now, so if space does open up on your booked routing you'll be high on the waitlist and hopefully clear.
Thanks, that's what I ended up doing. EF alerts will be my savior on this, I think

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Outbound on Tuesday ! .

Originally Posted by LilAbner
Are "W" fares going to go through the roof (to anywhere in Asia) in the next 10 months, and is there a need to book flights asap with a possibility of changing them and paying $250.00 each to grab 4 GPU's (2 each way) if & when they become available?
Not really concerned about " minor" cost differences. About 30 days ago there was oodles of R space on these routes. I'm not sure what's up, but it IS NOT upgrade friendly.

Originally Posted by qisu
it is a quick and easy way to look at R bucket availability for a given direct route over a multi-month range.
It's a very good tool. I've used it, it just doesn't address my issue on changes/GPU issues.

Thanks to all! Dave
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by qisu
check out this tool mentioned in thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ty-awards.html
the data is delayed, but it is a quick and easy way to look at R bucket availability for a given direct route over a multi-month range.
I've only been searching 180 days out, so the database right now only goes to 6/28/2013.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I suppose the real question is, how long does it take for the GPU to get re-deposited once you cancel the upgrade request. If it's instantaeous, then you have little to lose by applying for the upgrade now and then just cancelling it if you change your flight.

I don't have any experience needing to redeposit GPUs quickly, but does anyone else?

In the event that it takes a long time to redeposit, does UA allow you to book an upgrade with miles so that you can grab it quickly, then substitute the GPU for miles later once the GPU becomes available?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by mecabq
I suppose the real question is, how long does it take for the GPU to get re-deposited once you cancel the upgrade request. If it's instantaeous, then you have little to lose by applying for the upgrade now and then just cancelling it if you change your flight.

I don't have any experience needing to redeposit GPUs quickly, but does anyone else?

In the event that it takes a long time to redeposit, does UA allow you to book an upgrade with miles so that you can grab it quickly, then substitute the GPU for miles later once the GPU becomes available?
It can take anywhere from a few minutes to never. If you cancel one and need it again asap, a call to MP with a little pushing (if necessary) has always worked for me. Whatever you do don't fall for the, "Sir, it should be back in your account in ___ days"! SAME FOR RPU'S. I've never tried holding an upgrade with miles and then asking to have them cancelled and a GPU substituted in its place.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:29 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I noticed a great reduction in R space to/from Asia a few weeks ago...

I was waiting until after the first of the year to book a trip for October myself...Just a couple of weeks ago, I could have gotten R space--and plenty of it on just about any route to PEK, PVG, TPE, HKG or NRT...I have a 5-day window in each direction--and all Tu/W/Th flights had this R space.

It's ALL gone now. Most of them were in the R4-R6 range, some (like a few SEA-NRT flights) had R9. There is NOTHING to or from Asia. Seat maps show no pre-assigned seats (I know, not the best indication) but can't imagine that many people booked that many seats this far in advance. Seems to be a universal 'pulling' of R space to Asia in October.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
Seems to be a universal 'pulling' of R space to Asia in October.
TOTALLY agreed. I even spent time trying to envision what "Pan Asian" event had been quietly scheduled in NRT and HKG simultaneously.

What's equally baffling is that the same is NOT TRUE of November and December.
Oh well
Dave
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:07 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bseller
TOTALLY agreed. I even spent time trying to envision what "Pan Asian" event had been quietly scheduled in NRT and HKG simultaneously.

What's equally baffling is that the same is NOT TRUE of November and December.
Oh well
Dave
In their defense, from October 15-Nov 7th(ish) is Canton Fair in Guangzhou. It is their busiest time of the year for business travelers, and I'd say that it is rather "Pan-Asian"--flights to anywhere in China/Taiwan/Korea/Japan are always FULL of buyers going over for Canton Fair. In addition to merely getting to Guangzhou, there are dozens of huge trade shows from Hong Kong to Shanghai to Vietnam...Taipei, and even smaller cities in China like Yiwu and Ningbo. The global buyers of the world really do convene on China in October (and April).

That being said, in years past, I've never had trouble getting R space in January for my October trip there...Nor have I ever seen a wholesale pulling of R inventory--because it was there just a few weeks ago.

I will also add that I had a great agent on the phone just now, looking into it, hoping UG space just wasn't showing up online (not the case)...She told me that on the 7 flights I had her check, only one of them (an ORD-HKG) flight had anyone even booked in C or F on the flight. She said 3 of the flights didn't even have anyone booked in Y yet (seat map FULLY open in all classes), and confirmed that I'd be the first person on the waitlist on any of the flights if I chose to WL it.*

* I didn't think they gave out that information--something new?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.