Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Million Miler one-time adjustment 12/31/11 questions/tracking

Million Miler one-time adjustment 12/31/11 questions/tracking

Old Jan 1, 12, 12:52 pm

Programs: Plenty
Bump & companion nomination

Just bumped from a wee bit under a million to close to 1.5 million. Plenty of *A flights (and if not for crediting to BD and LH I would have cleared 2 MM easily). But companion nomination is denied owing to "non MM status". This will probably take a few days to re-set.
Old Jan 1, 12, 1:45 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American AAdvantage
Bump

I went from 730,821 to 838,763, an increase of 14.8%. Although I fly Economy most of the time, I thought my increase would have been greater because of Star Alliance flights and DEQM , etc. bonuses. Unfortunately, there is no way to check the number. I requested a print-out of my Mileage Plus history last October and was refused.
The good news for me is that I had over 1,200,000 Continental lifetime miles, mostly earned between 1981 and 1984, for which I have received nothing in the past except meaningless Lifetime Silver status with PMCO. I stopped flying CO in 1984 because of a move from New York to London, and I have been Premier Executive or higher since I became a regular UA customer in 1998.
My combined total is now over 2MM, and I am looking forward to Lifetime PP, which is much appreciated since I am now retired.
Old Jan 1, 12, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Emirates EQMs

Does anyone recall if Emirates flights earned EQMs in Mileage Plus in 2010? I thought they did and think that my new MM number is short by the two (short) Emirates flights I flew in July 2010.
Old Jan 1, 12, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sannmann View Post
Does anyone recall if Emirates flights earned EQMs in Mileage Plus in 2010? I thought they did and think that my new MM number is short by the two (short) Emirates flights I flew in July 2010.
They didn't, RDM only.
Old Jan 1, 12, 4:54 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
I don't see any bump worth what I have in UA MP. However, I did see a change on the CO side from Plat to PresPlat (and I'm still 1K on UA).

I'd love a printout or tally on this. Not sure what will be added at the end of 1Q as it merges (from T&C) on the one-time change.
Old Jan 1, 12, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I want to know how much of a bump Tom got ... did he move up to being a 15MM flyer?
Old Jan 1, 12, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Can808 View Post
So this was the UA bonus bump ONLY - correct? The Onepass + MP combination total will not "display" until the start of the new program end of Q1....
I'm hoping that is correct based on the verbiage in the announcement.
You would be correct, UA bump only, no combining yet.
Old Jan 1, 12, 7:38 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
Anyone else not yet gotten their bump?

I checked my total about a week ago and it has not yet changed. Anyone else out there still waiting?
Old Jan 1, 12, 8:30 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by bmvaughn View Post
Open Questions/Known Issues
  • Unclear whether those reaching 1MM status based on the recalibration will reach it under 2011 rules (and thus receive 2 CR-1s & 3 SWU) or 2012 rules (no CR-1s/SWU). The same question exists for those reaching 2MM/3MM/4MM with the recalibration -whether they would receive 4 SWU under the 2011 rules.
Somewhat resolved since the sweep occurred on 12/31/2011, but unclear for those folks who would cross the threshold based on late-posting EQM backdated into 2011.
Hi bmvaughn, thanks for succinctly summarizing the questions on this topic. When it comes to Million Miler status, although the recalibrated Mileage Plus balances became visible on December 31st, the new balances actually take effect January 1st as part of the 2012 MileagePlus program. For those who ended up crossing a Million Miler threshold as a result of the adjustment, benefits of the 2012 Million Miler program will apply.

Originally Posted by ronin View Post
What is unclear is, are elite bonus miles included in the balance? In other words, depending upon the elite level, each flight earns bonus miles. Were those elite flight bonus miles to have been included under the "bonus EQM" definition? Sorry if this has been answered, but I went through multiple threads but did not get it, nor did I get it form reading the UAL releases.
Hi ronin, elite bonus miles (e.g. 25% for Premier, 100% for Premier Executive, etc.) were not counted as EQMs in the recalculation.

Originally Posted by Streetcar View Post
I like being corrected like that! Any reasons as to why I am not able to nominate my spouse yet? I'm assuming I can do it at anytime before she flies. I hope I'm right on that
Streetcar, Iíll check to find out when the ability to add a spouse will be working and will let you know.

Originally Posted by Can808 View Post
So this was the UA bonus bump ONLY - correct? The Onepass + MP combination total will not "display" until the start of the new program end of Q1....I'm hoping that is correct based on the verbiage in the announcement.
Hi Can808, thatís correct. The adjustment was part of a two-step process and shouldnít include any EQMs from OnePass accounts. The second step of combining Lifetime Miles between Mileage Plus and OnePass accounts will happen before our transition to a single system later this quarter.

Shannon
Old Jan 2, 12, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi Can808, that’s correct. The adjustment was part of a two-step process and shouldn’t include any EQMs from OnePass accounts. The second step of combining Lifetime Miles between Mileage Plus and OnePass accounts will happen before our transition to a single system later this quarter.
Hi Shannon, I want to be very sure I understand this point.

If I flew LH in First class back in 2000, 1.5x miles will be credited to my lifetime account when the transition happens later this quarter?

Or is it that 1x miles was credited this past weekend and the .5 will happen later this quarter?

And is it the same result for a flight I took back in 1996? Or is there a cut off date?

And what about UA EQM's? If I flew UA F back in 1996, I already earned the 1x miles in my lifetime account back in 1996. But will the .5x post later this quarter?

I just called MP and they said the EQM bump will happen later this quarter. Can you confirm?
Old Jan 2, 12, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
So, question. It would appear that the million mile adjustment has now upped one's 2012 status already to 1P (if they weren't already or going to be), even if they were only going to be 2P from actuals in 2011 or were 2P DURING 2011. My FIL was only going to be 2P, but got just over 1MM in the gross up, and his status now shows 1P. Is that the way it was supposed to work?
Old Jan 2, 12, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
I'm a tad perplexed as to where all the confusion lies. My pre-bump estimates were a mere 911 miles short of how many miles I ended up receiving...

I thought the math was relatively simple... any EQM that you ever earned, that wasn't already included in your lifetime mileage count, would be included in the bump.

*any* eqm... any *eqm*

---

Now, perhaps my flight activity didn't trigger any of the cases that people are suggesting weren't done correctly.. But, I wouldn't expect any bump to be showing up from hypothetical EQM that never would have been given previously.. IE, before COS bonuses, before *A counted, anything from credit cards except EQM from visa sig plat cards (or similar).. etc..
Old Jan 2, 12, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi bmvaughn, thanks for succinctly summarizing the questions on this topic. When it comes to Million Miler status, although the recalibrated Mileage Plus balances became visible on December 31st, the new balances actually take effect January 1st as part of the 2012 MileagePlus program. For those who ended up crossing a Million Miler threshold as a result of the adjustment, benefits of the 2012 Million Miler program will apply.
Thanks Shannon! My hope moving forward is that these types of question tracking threads for major changes can be helpful for you to answer multiple questions at once

Originally Posted by superEGO View Post
I'm a tad perplexed as to where all the confusion lies. My pre-bump estimates were a mere 911 miles short of how many miles I ended up receiving...

I thought the math was relatively simple... any EQM that you ever earned, that wasn't already included in your lifetime mileage count, would be included in the bump.

*any* eqm... any *eqm*

---

Now, perhaps my flight activity didn't trigger any of the cases that people are suggesting weren't done correctly.. But, I wouldn't expect any bump to be showing up from hypothetical EQM that never would have been given previously.. IE, before COS bonuses, before *A counted, anything from credit cards except EQM from visa sig plat cards (or similar).. etc..
You got it...

Last edited by bmvaughn; Jan 2, 12 at 9:42 am
Old Jan 2, 12, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Hi Shannon, I want to be very sure I understand this point.

If I flew LH in First class back in 2000, 1.5x miles will be credited to my lifetime account when the transition happens later this quarter?

Or is it that 1x miles was credited this past weekend and the .5 will happen later this quarter?

And is it the same result for a flight I took back in 1996? Or is there a cut off date?

And what about UA EQM's? If I flew UA F back in 1996, I already earned the 1x miles in my lifetime account back in 1996. But will the .5x post later this quarter?

I just called MP and they said the EQM bump will happen later this quarter. Can you confirm?
I don't think the Class of Service EQM bonuses existed back then. The only thing I think you add up is: how many EQM did you have at the end of the year. Sum up all years. That is your new lifetime miles total. If it didn't count as EQM (or the equivalent name for qualifying for elite status) back then, then it doesn't count now.
Old Jan 2, 12, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua View Post
I don't think the Class of Service EQM bonuses existed back then. The only thing I think you add up is: how many EQM did you have at the end of the year. Sum up all years. That is your new lifetime miles total. If it didn't count as EQM (or the equivalent name for qualifying for elite status) back then, then it doesn't count now.
But Shannon wrote here that all EQM's count from the beginning of the program. Maybe Shannon didn't write that correctly which is why I'd like to see some clarification from United. The MP rep I spoke to on the phone today thought it would count, but I could tell she really didn't know what was going on. My first clue was that she wasn't aware of any kind of EQM's counting and had to go ask someone about it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: