Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by weezl
And Z, too no?
LH doesn't exclude Z, United does in the fine print on the SWU.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
Can we use it?

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Yes, the Z fare to F upgrade party is all over...

Just got my new paper SWU's and read the back:

Printed 2012 Systemwide by sfflyer123, on Flickr
Originally Posted by oliver2002
LH doesn't exclude Z, United does in the fine print on the SWU.
Oliver, does mean that we can still use the UA SWU Z to F on LH?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVP
UA W fare?

hey all,

Sorry to beat a dead horse but in reading various posts on this subject, I think I've gotten myself more confused. I'm looking at booking a LH flight that is a codeshare with UA, booking under the UA flight number. The fare class is W.

According to this link (http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...002&size=2#431) I should be able to use an SWU to upgrade to business.

However, when looking at the actual paper certificate (http://www.flickr.com/photos/32828385@N02/6769104889/) it looks like W fares are excluded.

Can anyone help out with a definitive yes or no? Thanks so much!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by neildibiase
hey all,

Sorry to beat a dead horse but in reading various posts on this subject, I think I've gotten myself more confused. I'm looking at booking a LH flight that is a codeshare with UA, booking under the UA flight number. The fare class is W.

According to this link (http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...002&size=2#431) I should be able to use an SWU to upgrade to business.

However, when looking at the actual paper certificate (http://www.flickr.com/photos/32828385@N02/6769104889/) it looks like W fares are excluded.

Can anyone help out with a definitive yes or no? Thanks so much!
The old SWUs specifically excluded W-class...and the new ones do too, it appears.

LH rules will apply on LH metal, as LH personnel will be deciding what COS will be allowed. (they scrutinize your systemwide closely)

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Oliver, does mean that we can still use the UA SWU Z to F on LH?
No, as per the image you posted. Definitely not.

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Mar 14, 2012 at 1:36 pm
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: NW Plat, UAL 1K
I just ordered 4 more today, and use these pretty regularly. My experience has been that outside FRA/MUC the LH employees know nothing. They will stick to whatever it says on the cert. Best luck i've had even getting them used is to find a supervisor at the gate. I think i've been able to use 5 of my last 6 attempts.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: United: 1K-iron, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I am trying to figure out if a T-Class international flight is upgradeable. According to the list from Miles&More that oliver2002 posted the following classes are restricted:
On European flights, this applies to the following booking classes with:
- Lufthansa (LH) E, L, K, P

On intercontinental flights, this applies to the following booking classes with:
- Lufthansa (LH) E, K, L, P, T
However, in the image posted by SFflyer123 of the 2012 paper cert is specifically states that international T class flights are eligible.

Can someone help me clarify here? The 1K desk was no help with this.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: United 1K
What has been your success rate with these SWUs? I'm taking a BOS to BSL trip in September of this year and it looks like V fares are available. Is the upgrade success percentage determined by your fare class?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by silent129
What has been your success rate with these SWUs? I'm taking a BOS to BSL trip in September of this year and it looks like V fares are available. Is the upgrade success percentage determined by your fare class?
It varies by route and day, fare class probably won't make too much difference, I would say arriving at the airport early enough and choosing a friendly check in agent are probably more important.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:22 pm

Global Premier Upgrades on Lufthansa

Do they still work like system-wides on Lufthansa? What are the fare codes that are NOT eligible for upgrades? Please help - flying on the 2nd and have already orders paper certificates! Thanks.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 23, 2012 at 3:47 pm Reason: merged with existing thread
Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
Sorry if off topic but has anyone gotten a b or y fare upgraded with mp miles on lh since the merger through star alliance upgrade? Been told on two calls it cant be done and they are not expecting it to be resolved until atleast April. I am flying April 1 on lh and luckily have a paper cert for standby but would prefer to confirm with miles...
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Does anyone know when UA added the fine print that Z was not allowed? Or has it always been there and LH just overlooked.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Does anyone know when UA added the fine print that Z was not allowed? Or has it always been there and LH just overlooked.
IIRC, it was sometime around October 2011.

Some more info in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2010-11-a.html
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mbenz
Sorry if off topic but has anyone gotten a b or y fare upgraded with mp miles on lh since the merger through star alliance upgrade? Been told on two calls it cant be done and they are not expecting it to be resolved until atleast April. I am flying April 1 on lh and luckily have a paper cert for standby but would prefer to confirm with miles...
that seems to be the word
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...end-march.html
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:21 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
I will admit that I haven't read this thread but I will say that you are all optimists if you are worried about using GPUs on an airline that is not United
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:50 am

SWU success on LH Europe to Asia

Optimist ...
Over the recent two weeks two SWU successes on 9+ hour flights V/Q to C

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.