Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Global Premier (fka Systemwide) Upgrades on Lufthansa?

Old May 13, 2012, 3:55 am
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
What happens if they don't collect or mark on the cert - I used my phone for a boarding pass and was not asked for it (was cleared for upg at 1st ckin before getting to FRA)?
Old May 13, 2012, 6:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They don't mark anything in the system, so if the gate forgets to collect it they are SOL. If the cert was filled with your details already, no agent will touch it in the future. The gate agents in BOS told me a story that innovative 1Ks fished out SWUs kept at the desk during boarding, so to prevent that they write 'USED' with a red marker on the certs after use.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Hi all,

I am new to UA and I have two questions:

From this thread, I understand that paper GPU are required for upgrades on LH.
1) Does that mean that GPU on LH are only processed at check in? Or call you call into UAMP and request them to process your GPU and upgrade yourself?
2) Is there a way to check for upgrade availability on LH before ticketing?
Old May 13, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
More detail on my recent experiences

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
O-class is an LH F award class.

Flight overall was oversold?? It should not have been, if there was O2 availability. You should monitor further, closer into flight time to see what was happening last minute.

Also, you should have asked again between T-4 and T-1, because a lot of things happen during that period, where adjustments are being made, so you really could have scored the GPU upgrade.

For business loads, you shouldn't be looking only at the C-class bucket - you should also be looking at all business class loads, together with economy loads - as sometimes Y is zeroed out, meaning that they will be op-upping a lot of people into business.

Further, you should also keep an eye out for the First Class classes - if they are zeroed out, then you have a reduced chance to upgrade from economy to business, if the C-class loads are available, and the other business class buckets are not available - because they won't be able to upgrade one of their own current elites in the business cabin into First to accomodate your upgrade into business.

It's a bit complicated, but if you keep watching the loads you will get the hang of it...
Thanks for the feedback. Still new to this and not always sure about the correct amount of detail. The main point I wanted to make is you can monitor loads but it doesn't mean anything until the GA gives you the BP. Let me expand.

Correct about O = F award. I meant the I = C award bucket, but both =2. Also, F=2, Z=2 and Y=9. That's why I felt confident we'd get the upgrade. However, it had been as low as C=0, so I was prepared for the worst.

This is because it was during the World Economic Forum-Africa so Addis Ababa was full of elites. I was suspicous, but not really surprised if they had a bunch of walk-up C-class purchases between when we left for the airport at T-4 and got there at t-1.5. (A 15 minute drive turned into 2.5 hrs due to a bunch of road closures to allow various ministers' motorcades to get to the airport unimpeded.)

Our smartphones couldn't get a web connection during that time, but I don't see how more monitoring (I was making dummy bookings at my corporate travel site and UA.com) would have made a difference. When we finally got to the TA to check bags and I showed her the cert she just said to take it to the gate.

When we finally got there at T-1, the first GA said C was full but there were still two people who hadn't checked in. If they didn't show (a good chance given the chaos out there) we'd get their seats. (Note: I was also trying to upgrade my colleague, who switched to my flight to get home early due to illness.)

At T-0.5 he gave us the thumbs-up and went to get our BP's from the head GA at the computer. (Quaintly, he was keeping track of check-ins on a sheet of paper.) She said "nein" because while there were open seats leaving ADD, the flight stopped en route in KHT where they were oversold by +1. As T&C #9 states, we could only upgrade if all portions were open. Not that I'd want to use a cert for only the first 1.5 hrs of a 9 hr flight. Thus I'm curious if you still think we "really could have scored the GPU upgrade" in that situation.

Going back to 1), that flight was C=0 for a while before showing C=1 a couple days before the flight. I didn't expect to make that upgrade and didn't monitor any more after checking in the night before. I was clearly surprised when the GA gave me the C BP when I got to the gate at T-0.75. She made it clear that getting on the grading list the night before (~T-15) is what got me the last seat. Just shows how you can never tell.

I was pretty confident about 3) and didn't bother getting on the grading list because the flight never fluctuated from C=9, Y=9 on my corporate travel site. It left with 14 empty C seats.

I'm confident about 4), my 5/25 flight ORD-MUC, because right now it's sitting at F:5 A:5 J:9 C:9 D:9 Z:0 P:0 Y:9 B:9 M:9 U:9 H:9 Q:9 V:9 W:9 S:9 T:9 L:9 K:9. However, as I work near ORD I will again try to check in at T-23 at the LH ticket counter to get on the grading list (Does anyone know if calling them would have the same effect?) because at T-12 days there are only 47 Y seats and 20/60 C seats unassigned on this A346and I understand Friday night TATL flights often fill up last minute.

I have very little confidence on the return because while only half the Y seats are assigned, the flight has been F:3 A:0 J:0 C:0 D:0 Z:0 P:0 Y:9 B:9 M:9 U:9 H:9 Q:9 V:9 W:9 S:9 T:9 L:0 K:0 since I booked it a couple of weeks ago. However, as I learned from 1) & 2), don't assume.

As I still have that extra cert I will certainly try, though I'm not sure if they'll be able to get me on the grading list from MAN, where I start my trip that morning, and I'll only have 1.5 hrs in MUC to work it. Any advice? Call the TA at MUC at check-in?

(PS: I'm booked in T on the return; only excluded for intra-Europe flights on the cert, but excluded according to UA GPU web page. Which is correct?)
Old May 14, 2012, 2:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
From this thread, I understand that paper GPU are required for upgrades on LH.
1) Does that mean that GPU on LH are only processed at check in? Or call you call into UAMP and request them to process your GPU and upgrade yourself?
2) Is there a way to check for upgrade availability on LH before ticketing?
1. Yes, no calling in possible.
2. No, its standby upgrade at the aiport only.

Originally Posted by megalab
I'm confident about 4), my 5/25 flight ORD-MUC, because right now it's sitting at F:5 A:5 J:9 C:9 D:9 Z:0 P:0 Y:9 B:9 M:9 U:9 H:9 Q:9 V:9 W:9 S:9 T:9 L:9 K:9. However, as I work near ORD I will again try to check in at T-23 at the LH ticket counter to get on the grading list (Does anyone know if calling them would have the same effect?) [...]

As I still have that extra cert I will certainly try, though I'm not sure if they'll be able to get me on the grading list from MAN, where I start my trip that morning, and I'll only have 1.5 hrs in MUC to work it. Any advice? Call the TA at MUC at check-in?

(PS: I'm booked in T on the return; only excluded for intra-Europe flights on the cert, but excluded according to UA GPU web page. Which is correct?)
No calling in possible, at ORD the staff will talk to the back office to make sure if they can add you to the grading lsit.
MAN can put you on the grading list, MUC will work the list about 4h in advance, no open settings on the flight like in FRA, so it will only be confirmed in MUC. The lounge or a service desk will call the FM in his/her office for you to check on the status.

Currently LH excludes T on longhaul:
Upgrades with LH, JP, EN, OS, OU, LO and LX are not possible for some particularly favourable offers. On European flights, this applies to the following booking classes with: - Adria Airways (JP) E, G, K, L, T, U - Austrian Airlines Group (OS) E, L, K - Croatia Airlines (OU) E, L, T - SWISS (LX) E, L, K - Lufthansa (LH) E, L, K - Air Dolomiti (EN) E, L, K - LOT Polish Airlines (LO) L, W, O, S** - Brussels Airlines (SN) E, G, K, L On intercontinental flights, this applies to the following booking classes with: - LOT Polish Airlines (LO) L, W - SWISS (LX) E, K, L, T - Austrian Airlines (OS) E, L, K, T - Adria Airways (JP), Air Dolomiti (EN) and Croatia Airlines (OU) L, S, W, U - Lufthansa (LH) E, K, L, P, T, Z (booking class Z for flights from 1 September 2012) - Brussels Airlines (SN) E, G, K, L, T

Always check this page to see if your booking class is OK:
http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...002&size=2#431
Old May 17, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Called in a couple days ago to request a GPU for LH. The agent asked when my departure was (it's late August) so, I was surprised to see my GPU show up earlier today in a FedEx overnight envelope . Guess I just got a good agent ^.

Step 2: Get it to clear on DXB-FRA in late summer...
Old May 18, 2012, 2:49 am

Programs: UA Platinum
General question...

...about the whole process. If there is a seat available that is otherwise going to go unsold at check-in, are you virtually guaranteed the upgrade?
Old May 18, 2012, 3:50 am

In F they need to have the catering loaded, so you have to notify them early enough so all can dine without restrictions. That and SPML (veggie, kosher etc) may be the only reason they won't upgrade you if the seat would otherwise go empty.
Old May 18, 2012, 4:03 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
...about the whole process. If there is a seat available that is otherwise going to go unsold at check-in, are you virtually guaranteed the upgrade?
Pretty much. Usually if they can they will upgrade you at check in. From airports like JFK, ORD, FRA if an F seat is avail then no problem. Where you might have a problem is coming back to Germany from smaller stations with 1 or 2 flts a day where they don't do there own catering (Many African/Mid East Countries). They may not have extra catering for more pax then were booked. LH is not UA. They will NEVER ask for your 2nd choice, etc. if there is not enough FCL MEALS for everyone to have what they want, they may not upgrade you

Originally Posted by SteveHK
Called in a couple days ago to request a GPU for LH. The agent asked when my departure was (it's late August) so, I was surprised to see my GPU show up earlier today in a FedEx overnight envelope . Guess I just got a good agent ^.

Step 2: Get it to clear on DXB-FRA in late summer...
DXB-FRA/MUC in summer usually have light loads so you should not have a problem. AUG is a good month as its to hot for most people to travel TO DXB and most locals are already gone for the summer so FLTS FROM DXB are lighter (I usually switch from EK to LH in summer as we spend allot of time in Germany / France and I don't think I have EVER been on a full LH 747 from DXB in summer. Usually half full. (DXB Station is not good about upgrading at check in (they don't use LH staff, they use DNATA ground staff. It important to make sure they put you on the list and when you get to the gate, FIND one of the true LH employees and ask them - go to gate early so they have enough time to load a meal for you.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 18, 2012 at 7:49 am Reason: merge
Old May 18, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Originally Posted by megalab
I'm confident about 4), my 5/25 flight ORD-MUC, because right now it's sitting at F:5 A:5 J:9 C:9 D:9 Z:0 P:0 Y:9 B:9 M:9 U:9 H:9 Q:9 V:9 W:9 S:9 T:9 L:9 K:9.
Thank you for the advice. However my 5/25 flight dropped to C:4, combined with no honest chance of an upgrade coming home on a T fare made me take another piece of advice; if you want a C seat, buy a C seat.

I took advantage of the fare war to the UK that just erupted and picked up a $1922 P fare ORD-MAN on UA. Ironically, I still connect through MUC, but get there much earlier and in a true lie-flat bed.

The change fee is only $250 and the previous fare is banked with LH for a year. As our EU HQ is in FRA I'm not worried about not using it or my GPU certs again soon.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
...if there is not enough FCL MEALS for everyone to have what they want, they may not upgrade you
The last time I flew FRA-EWR, this almost was the case. I was waiting in the Tower Lounge after coming in from DUS and was called up to the desk. The agent told me that if I wanted the upgrade, I would have last choice of the meals and might not get what I wanted as they would not be able to load the proper catering. I accepted and got a seat in Row 1 and was able to get everything I wanted. Of course, YMMV.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: UA
I plan to fly MUC -> PEK in August on a Business Class world around ticket (should be D class).
How good are the chances the flight will clear into F with the SWU ? If I have a lower then 90% chance I rather route via ZRH on LX because the LH C seats are really substandard.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by oliver2002
1. Yes, no calling in possible.
2. No, its standby upgrade at the aiport only.
Hmmmm, kinda sucks that it is standby.

Is there a way to check availability prior to getting to the airport? E.g. KVS / EF?

I am looking more for Y upgrade to J.

BTW, anyone have experience with using GPU to upgrade to Europe, on LH, flying out of Asia (BKK/SIN/HKG/KUL/HAN/SGN/etc)?

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 18, 2012 at 12:05 pm
Old May 18, 2012, 1:59 pm

You can check for availability before, but often they are sold out in C even though they may be seats available for sale.

Asia-Germany is the same as US-Germany... ask for it at the airport, at most stations they have seen the SWU/GPU paper thing before.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA G
Anyone have a recent LH SWU that can check if P fares are excluded?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.