Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hm. So even a GM on an award ticket can trump a 1k for upgrade

Hm. So even a GM on an award ticket can trump a 1k for upgrade

Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by reddirt14
I'm much closer to jumping ship after missing the last 4 UDUs I always use to get. There is no benefit to flying UA these days. AA is willing to give me seats up front and from United I ride with the kettles if they even get my tickets right...that's another story about "tickets being out of sync." This airline has gone from par to sub-par too quick. They need a new leader, this one is not cutting it.
I have flown AA twice this year. Both times I was offered a buy-up at check-in. The ORD-SFO was $180 and MIA-DCA was $90. Both seem like reasonably popular routes...so the grass may not be greener.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 1:55 pm

Agree that the $102 is consistent with buy up to M for instant elite upgrade. Looks like the system is functioning as intended. Also agree that it is short-sighted to nickel and dime GS members, who have to spend $30,000+ per year to get it. I will not spend the extra money (my employer will not reimburse me), and I'll see how often I upgrade using UDUs. If the percent gets too low, I'll stop emphasizing United in my purchase decisions.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Ive notices from the back, on flights where I used to sit up front, that most of F are families with children and people who look/act like they have never been on a plane before. I even see a lot of them pull out the air phones. This along with an agent saying they are trying to give upgrades to people who have never experienced First before in order to get them to return, makes me really think this thread title is true. They want GMs to fly in F, not elites. Its quite sad. I was hoping that if I spent above $30K last year I would make GS as that was COs old published policy for PP. But alas, after spending just over $30K and flying 123K+ miles, I am still only a lowly 1K, with no upgrades in sight unless I pay extra.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:04 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by johnmont
As an elite, I think what would would be fair if they offered us access to upgrades with the same kind of priority as normal upgrades. In other words, as a 1K I would get notice of an upgrade purchase 100 hours before others. Or even 48 hours...whatever it is.

So at the same time it would be fair for UA to make more money...and also still provide us with preferred access to the upgrades.
Now that idea I wouldn't mind, instead of marketing "free unlimited upgrades"*

*after we try to sell the upgrade to 173 non-Mileage Plus members for $99 either when they purchase their tickets or check-in, followed by all GS**, 1Ks**, and Platinum** members.

**plus their spouse/partner.

Originally Posted by BDLORD
Our status does not mean anything any more.
I just buy a ticket and buy the upgrade.
All those CR1's and SWU's are useless unless you get lucky.
Welcome to the new Continental Airlines.
After doing extensive research they decided to keep the United name.
It sounds better and it invokes that the two airlines united to make one better airline.
If you weren't on the CON side you got the shaft.
I use this airline on an as needed basis, YMMV
Unbelievable, that is all I can say...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 26, 2012 at 9:46 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Well, I am departing on 3/27/12 @ 13:50 from FRA to IAH. My original departure will be from KBP to FRA to IAH. I am a Platinum member and I purchased an upgrade for segment FRA to IAH, utilizing miles and co-pay (11 hours, well worth the purchase). I checked to see how many available seats there was, and at least 10 were available at the time of purchase (3/19/12). Now, two days before I see no upgrade acknowledgement, so I think that maybe they will post it tomorrow. Now, I check the waitlist this morning, a day before my flight, I see no one on the waitlist, 3 available seats in business class and a denial for my upgrade in my e-mail for segment KPB-to FRA. Now maybe this was a typo, but I called and checked with United representative and told them of my situation. The lady stated that I will not be getting an upgrade and that the available seats are for purchase only. She couldn't explain to me why the e-mail stated I was denied from KBP to FRA, when I wanted FRA to IAH.

So, not only do 1K get trump, also Platinum members who pay with miles and co-pay. Not sure if this is a work in progress with the merger, but I fly this route a lot in a year, and I might have to change airlines if this is the way things will be.

Last edited by Codeblue009; Mar 26, 2012 at 2:58 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hawaiian Platinum, Starwood Platinum, United 1K
Question This seems so wrong

Come on, United, speak up!

Last edited by humu; Mar 26, 2012 at 12:44 pm
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hawaiian Platinum, Starwood Platinum, United 1K
Unhappy Don't they care ???

"UA have not gotten one cent from me for 3 months - and that's an 11 year 1K MM sadly saying that.

Just just back from NZ flying Air NZ, and put the miles to my Virgin account.

._________________
12 year 1K. Haven't taken a UA flight in 3 months. Take that.
There ARE airline choices. You lied to me, so I'm making them"

We have also been 1K loyal to United for over 7 years. We have been having a heck of a time trying to get upgrade seats (even using regional upgrades) on M fares. If this continues on this path, we will also be taking your suggestion. We have been willing to give the new system a chance. It seems though that United Airlines DOESN'T CARE that their loyal customers are unhappy. Rather than find a win-win, they are shrugging it off. We fly internationally a lot, and still stuck to UAL despite all the connections we needed to take. It would, and will be a lot easier to take another carrier.

If UAL is so desperate to make money that they are willing to trade in their integrity for profit, they should at least make it clear to their loyal fliers, rather than guise it under all the fluff!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:13 pm

I thought as 1k, you got automatic upgrade on M-fares.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
New UA upgrade waitlist

The upgrade waitlist for the old CO and the new UA still puzzles me. For example, today, I was number 7 on the waitlist, with 9 seats available for purchase on the 763 to HOU from SFO tomorrow. I took a look at the waitlist again tonight, and i'm still #7 on the waitlist above the same people, but somehow there are zero seats left in F.

Why does this continually happen to me any time I take a flight on the new UA (and generally a CO flight before the the March switchover)? I highly doubt 9 people bought first class seats since this afternoon. Does the waitlist not mean anything? Does it not count all the no status/premier/premier execs/75Kers with Y/B/M fares who auto upgrade or those burning whatever the new CR1/SWUs are called? I'm still puzzled as to why the waitlist seems to have no bearing on reality. Can someone shed some light on this?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by harperb
The upgrade waitlist for the old CO and the new UA still puzzles me. For example, today, I was number 7 on the waitlist, with 9 seats available for purchase on the 763 to HOU from SFO tomorrow. I took a look at the waitlist again tonight, and i'm still #7 on the waitlist above the same people, but somehow there are zero seats left in F.

Why does this continually happen to me any time I take a flight on the new UA (and generally a CO flight before the the March switchover)? I highly doubt 9 people bought first class seats since this afternoon. Does the waitlist not mean anything? Does it not count all the no status/premier/premier execs/75Kers with Y/B/M fares who auto upgrade or those burning whatever the new CR1/SWUs are called? I'm still puzzled as to why the waitlist seems to have no bearing on reality. Can someone shed some light on this?
People are using cash to purchase upgrades at the kiosks. This bypasses the wait list.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by amartin1979
People are using cash to purchase upgrades at the kiosks. This bypasses the wait list.
Oh, right, I forgot that some quick $$ from a casual flyer overrules long-term loyalty by a 100K+ mile a year flyer on the new UA. Filed under: More changes i'll like.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Codeblue009
Well, I am departing on 3/27/12 @ 13:50 from FRA to IAH. My original departure will be from KBP to FRA to IAH. I am a Platinum member and I purchased an upgrade for segment FRA to IAH, utilizing miles and co-pay (11 hours, well worth the purchase). I checked to see how many available seats there was, and at least 10 were available at the time of purchase (3/19/12). Now, two days before I see no upgrade acknowledgement, so I think that maybe they will post it tomorrow. Now, I check the waitlist this morning, a day before my flight, I see no one on the waitlist, 3 available seats in business class and a denial for my upgrade in my e-mail for segment KPB-to FRA. Now maybe this was a typo, but I called and checked with United representative and told them of my situation. The lady stated that I will not be getting an upgrade and that the available seats are for purchase only. She couldn't explain to me why the e-mail stated I was denied from KBP to FRA, when I wanted FRA to IAH.

So, not only do 1K get trump, also Platinum members who pay with miles and co-pay. Not sure if this is a work in progress with the merger, but I fly this route a lot in a year, and I might have to change airlines if this is the way things will be.
OK, here is an update. We always criticize when things are wrong with United (CO or UA), but I have to say this time they came through for me. Germany is on a public sector strike, which affected my flight today. I guess that is why I was not upgraded from Frankfurt. I saw an e-mail from United that they cancelled my flight and I should call in (yes...wait forever to get a hold of someone 45 minutes long). I called and the customer service agent was able to book me to AMS from KBP and from AMS to IAH, and this time I got my upgrade. Now, this is the bad part, some of you might have had this happen to you. I looked at the waitlist for the upgrade to IAH and saw about 4 people with only 2 seats available. The agent told me that was correct, but she would insert me in business first. Now I don't know the status of those on the waitlist, so I don't know if I bypassed any 1Ks'. Needless to say, I am now going home and riding in the class I originally wanted to be in. Good luck to all of you and don't forget, as much as we criticize, we shoud also let United know when they do well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.