Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Million Miler companion benefit

To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:48 pm

You say, "Switch companion" which implies you have a companion already listed. So far as I know,the companion you had will remain your companion until next year if you didn't get the request to switch in to Mileage Plus before the annual cut-off.

In the past, it has been reported that the requirement that the companion share either your last name or your address was not rigorously enforced. If you run into the situation again next November, you might try hanging up and calling again later, in the hopes of getting a different customer service representative.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Counsellor
You say, "Switch companion" which implies you have a companion already listed. So far as I know,the companion you had will remain your companion until next year if you didn't get the request to switch in to Mileage Plus before the annual cut-off.

In the past, it has been reported that the requirement that the companion share either your last name or your address was not rigorously enforced. If you run into the situation again next November, you might try hanging up and calling again later, in the hopes of getting a different customer service representative.
​​​​​​ a few years ago I switched companions mid year
And and all I had to do was just send back the mileage plus cards from the old companion

I am talking about removing a companion now and adding a new one the question is will changing his address to mine work?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
​​​​​​ a few years ago I switched companions mid year
And and all I had to do was just send back the mileage plus cards from the old companion

I am talking about removing a companion now and adding a new one the question is will changing his address to mine work?
I hadn't heard of Mileage Plus allowing a switch in companions except at the annual change-over period (November 30th) so that may be the biggest hurdle to get over. I did hear a story about a GS replacing a companion who had died but the GS had to explain that to a CSR. However, GS do get more exceptions than do the hoi polloi Premiers, so you may be able to swing it.

As I mentioned, the requirement of same address or same last name seems to have been removed a while back (see post 749 in this thread, and other anecdotal mentions in this thread). If that's the case, you may just have gotten a CSR that wasn't up to date, and that's why I suggested HUCA (hang up, call again). However, I do know of some cases where the addresses (on the Mileage Plus accounts) were adjusted to be the same in order to facilitate designation as a companion.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
As I mentioned, the requirement of same address or same last name seems to have been removed a while back (see post 749 in this thread, and other anecdotal mentions in this thread). If that's the case, you may just have gotten a CSR that wasn't up to date, and that's why I suggested HUCA (hang up, call again). However, I do know of some cases where the addresses (on the Mileage Plus accounts) were adjusted to be the same in order to facilitate designation as a companion.
I do not see that it has been dropped at all. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../lifetime.html
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by 8MiHi
I do not see that it has been dropped at all. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../lifetime.html
<shrug> Have it your way, then. The site has said that for years, but as earlier posts on this thread (e.g., post 749) have said, they have not been enforcing it rigorously. In such cases, it might be helpful to HUCA.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
You may not see that but as others stated it is not enforced. I know many people who have companions at different addresses AND different names. This includes GS/1K and on down MP companions. This is done all the time! If you were told otherwise I would HUCA as was suggested.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by nomad420
You may not see that but as others stated it is not enforced. I know many people who have companions at different addresses AND different names. This includes GS/1K and on down MP companions. This is done all the time! If you were told otherwise I would HUCA as was suggested.
I coached youth baseball and softball for many years and I taught my players that if they break a rule that is rarely enforced they put themselves at the tender mercies of the umpire who may be happy to make the call the other way.
If you are willing to take the, admittedly small, risk of a bad outcome that's on you.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:16 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I wanted to nominate my niece as my GS companion. I live in Chicago and she lives in Denver. Different last names. I called MPCS and asked them what the deal was, as originally you had to be at the same address (and possibly share the same last name). I told the rep that I didn't want to risk losing my lifetime GS status over this whatsoever. She said it was no problem to have someone at a different address share your status now. So I went for it and she has been a GS for two years now.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:35 am

They should change the rule.
If they are concerned about members selling the status then the rule should be that the companion status must not be sold, bartered or exchanged, violators will be subject to complete loss of status and membership.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
accessing a lounge as a companion to someone that has guest privileges? The companion does not need to have any status, just a departure *A BP.

If the MMer companion is traveling alone but crediting a non *G account, it gets a little tricky. If they have an *G card from UA, they should be OK - just show the card. They could also use the virtual card in the UA app. And for UA Golds, you will need request a physical card (emphasis added).
Last year that (calling and requesting they issue a Gold card) worked, but apparently it won't any more.

Earlier this month I called and asked them to do it again, explaining that we needed the physical cards to get into Star Alliance lounges, etc., when traveling outside the United States, and they said they weren't going to issue any, even on request. I tried the "HUCA" ploy, and when I called later I got a different CSR but the same answer. I explained that we really needed some proof of status, and the CSR said it would be printed on our ticket. I said that's fine with a United ticket, but what if we were ticketed by Lufthansa or some other Star Alliance carrier like Turkish Air? She said to show them your e-card on the United Mileage Plus app. I told her I don't have a smart phone, and she said, "Well, print it off."

In the past that often doesn't work; some lounge dragons are familiar with Photoshop and similar programs, and won't accept documents that appear to be printed off.

Part of the problem is United's decision to have status cards expire, even for lifetime status holders. I'm retired now, but during my career I did a lot of travel and earned lifetime elite status in a number of other airline and hotel programs, and all of them issued cards that reflected the status and did not expire. For example, I was issued a card by American Advantage that reflects my Platinum status and does not have an expiration date, and my Marriott Rewards platinum card has "LIFETIME" in big letters across the front (I don't know what they'll do with the name change to Bonvoy Titanium).

United should be able to do something similar to help their elites who travel on other Star Alliance carriers. It's not like United is allergic to issuing "Lifetime" cards -- I have long been a life member of their Red Carpet Club and had a card that so stated, and when they changed the name to "United Club" they sent me a new membership card with "Lifetime Member" across the face in gold print.

I realize United is saving a few pennies by not issuing a hard card reflecting the elite status (a one-time cost if it doesn't expire), but the fact that it is seriously inconveniencing at least some of their elite customers has apparently not been taken into consideration. They need to get their customer relations folks involved, not just their beancounters.

Has anyone else been able to get a hard card issued this year?

Last edited by Counsellor; Jan 27, 2019 at 12:29 pm
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Last year that (calling and requesting they issue a Gold card) worked, but apparently it won't any more.

Has anyone else been able to get a hard card issued this year?
Short answer for Golds (and Silvers) is No.

UA appears to be gradually obsoleting physical cards (Silver years ago, Gold last year). UA is not alone in doing this. Others levels may be soon.
UA position appears to be, the information is in your travel records / PNR and UA is working will its partner's so your BP should be sufficient and if not the virtual card using your smartphone app (for those that have one).

Probably best to continue this in 2019 Premier Kit discussion - contents, pictures, actual delivery, .... where it is under discussion.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 27, 2019 at 11:58 am Reason: pointer to active thread
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:27 pm

Thanks for the information.

In its constant drive to save a few more pennies at the expense of inconveniencing its customers, United has again made things more difficult for its elites to obtain the services they were promised. I find this callous attitude toward patrons difficult to understand in a service industry. Perhaps it is a consequence of a booming economy where being solicitous of customers is no longer considered necessary in order to remain competitive. One wonders what will happen to that attitude when the inevitable downturn hits and planes do not automatically fill themselves with paying passengers.

Until that time, I guess I'll just have to be one of those "over-entitled elites" United's management has declared their intent to cut down to size.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In its constant drive to save a few more pennies at the expense of inconveniencing its customers
If you experience any actual inconvenience, follow up with United.

If your *G number is on the reservation, you should be given lounge access on an eligible trip. Is it theoretically possible that someone might request the physical card and refuse to be swayed by anything else? Sure, but until and unless that actually happens to you, why worry about it? UA is clearly moving toward an all-electronic system.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:07 pm

I'm sorry; I guess I wasn't clear. I don't have a problem getting into the United lounges; indeed, I've been a life member of the United club system (Red Carpet Club and now United Club) since the early '70s and carry a non-expiring United Club membership card showing that. And as you say, if I have a ticket issued by United, it also reflects my status.

The problem arises when one attempts to gain entry to a non-United Star Alliance lounge, a common occurrence for those of us who travel internationally since we tend to use Lufthansa or Turkish Air or SAS or Aegean or Lot or Swiss in Europe, South African Air in Africa, and Asiana, Singapore, and Thai airlines in Asia. The tickets issued by the non-UA carriers do not routinely show UA status or MP numbers, and in any event in many places the lounge dragons are used to seeing a plastic card for admittance. Yes, I have experienced actual inconvenience, I have been turned away if I don't have a card to show them, which is why I asked for and received a Mileage Plus Premier Gold card at the beginning of last year, and I was asked to show it during an international trip as recently as last month. It is still good until the end of this month, but despite contacting United about it (as you suggest) I have no valid card for the rest of 2019.

UA may be clearly moving toward an electronic system, but not all of the rest of Star Alliance are that far along. I guess I don't see why Mileage Plus cannot do as American's Advantage does and issue a non-expiring card on request that shows the bearer's lifetime status.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sorry; I guess I wasn't clear. I don't have a problem getting into the United lounges; indeed, I've been a life member of the United club system (Red Carpet Club and now United Club) since the early '70s and carry a non-expiring United Club membership card showing that.
That card will also get you into *A Business lounges. AFAIK, the only lounges you can enter with *G that you can't get into as a paid United Club member are the LH-group Senator lounges, although I suppose there may be some contract lounges at some airports where an airline would give *G members passes. And I've never had a problem getting into a Senator lounge with just my boarding pass.

The tickets issued by the non-UA carriers do not routinely show UA status or MP numbers
That has not been my experience. At a minimum, they'll show *G on the boarding pass. Even if they don't, the number should be on the reservation, so the boarding pass should scan properly at the lounge.

in any event in many places the lounge dragons are used to seeing a plastic card for admittance.
Also very much not my experience. In fact, most of the lounges that want something other than a boarding pass are looking for a lounge invitation, which you should be able to get during check-in.

I was asked to show it during an international trip as recently as last month.
Then UA needs to know that, so that they can coordinate with their partners. If the rest of *A isn't ready to go all-electronic, they should continue to issue the cards on request, as you suggest.

Personally, I would happily trade a lounge visit for whatever ETC UA would provide as an apology for not being able to get in.

I guess I don't see why Mileage Plus cannot do as American's Advantage does and issue a non-expiring card on request that shows the bearer's lifetime status.
Not to be pedantic, but there's not really any such thing as lifetime status. UA reserves the right to make changes to the plan anytime. For example, they could decide that you need to be Platinum to get *G. Also, they can close anybody's MP account at any time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.