Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Million Miler companion benefit

To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by iluv2fly

She's in her mid-twenties but looks like a teen. She tells me some good stories about being a young female GS. "Honey, I called Global Services, not Global Entry" is a common one. And she said the looks from the older male pax in BG1 can be priceless. She has also perfected - on her own sans coaching - the standing to the side of the BG's to facilitate getting on when GS are called.
I'll bet she has some entertaining stories for the DYKWIA thread!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
So what's the consensus of giving Companion Status to a friend residing in a different address? Anyone actually have issues?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by twkidM3
So what's the consensus of giving Companion Status to a friend residing in a different address? Anyone actually have issues?
Reading this thread you will see multiple successful cases -- not sure there has been a problem case posted.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have done it with no issues.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
My Brother-in-law just did it. He offered it to me several times, but was then really nervous about calling when it came down to it- worried it would put his status in jeopardy. His wife is is current companion, but she earned 1MM status a few weeks ago, so he felt he should be able to switch it over to me. I realized we had to get it done before the end of November so I bugged the heck out of him until he did it.

He called, they said "not possible" due to home address difference, and I'm guessing he said OK and hung up as fast as possible. I asked him to call back and explain that I was his BIL and arrange travel for the family, etc and that he travelled to our house a lot, etc, etc. Just basically tell the truth and don't try and trick them into anything. He did, and he got someone a little more knowledgeable, who asked his advisor for an exception to the home address rule, and supposedly I'm all set. We'll see in January!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm MM. I designated my usual traveling companion my MM companion. He just made MM. This year he may make 1K. I tried to designate me as his companion but got a message that the account was not eligible for MM benefits. I don't know if that references his account or mine. So can MM companions be cross designated so that the highest status is shared?

I didn't see this in the thread. If it's there, I apologize.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:34 pm

You say he "just made" MM. Sometimes it takes a while for that to filter down the system. You may want to wait a few days and then try again, or even call customer service and explain that he just made it and ask them to check.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by manneca
I'm MM. I designated my usual traveling companion my MM companion. He just made MM. This year he may make 1K. I tried to designate me as his companion but got a message that the account was not eligible for MM benefits. I don't know if that references his account or mine. So can MM companions be cross designated so that the highest status is shared?.....
This has been queried in the past and (vaguely remember) info seemed to suggest what you want to do cannot work.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
MM Companion Status: Does companion remain such?

Wondering if my previously designated companion remains as 2018 companion or must have been designated each year. Situation may or may not be unique: Ms BH & I were each 1k since 2010. But we had failed to qualify for for 2016, so I, as a 1 MM, dropped to Gold for 2016 & designated her as my Gold Companion. However, a flurry of travel brought us to 1k-eligibility in mid-year 2016, so we were re-upped to 1k for the rest of 2016 & "all" of 2017. Now it's the last day of 2017 & we've only flown enough on UA to qualify for Silver. BUT, as a MM, I'll be Gold for 2018 & thought I'd better designate her (again) as my Gold companion for 2018. Alas, when I logged into UA the message was that the enrollment period for a 2018 companion had ended & was starting for 2019 companionship. The "irony" of this is that I have 1.3MM+ UA lifetime miles & she has roughly 950,00 UA lifetime miles, so she might well hit 1MM in her own right with a couple of UA flights this year (we do several TAPACs each year & already have one booked on UA in January). Well, now to the specific question I have: since she had been a designated Gold Companion in the past, does that remain or would I have had to re-designate her for 2018? Might there be some way to appeal this possibility to UA?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
You do not need to designate every year - it carries over.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It carries over.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only time you need to do anything is if you are going to change your designee.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I'd be interested in clarity on that 2019 part, though. My understanding is that the period to change a companion for 2018 has already passed (end of Nov). But supposing the system had somehow dropped your former designee, then I would think you could instantaneously re-designate that same person or even a completely new person at any point in 2018; I don't believe that anyone will be required to wait until 2019 until they can designate a companion unless they're looking to change to a new companion and allowed the Nov '17 deadline to pass. No?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I'd be interested in clarity on that 2019 part, though. My understanding is that the period to change a companion for 2018 has already passed (end of Nov). But supposing the system had somehow dropped your former designee, then I would think you could instantaneously re-designate that same person or even a completely new person at any point in 2018; I don't believe that anyone will be required to wait until 2019 until they can designate a companion unless they're looking to change to a new companion and allowed the Nov '17 deadline to pass. No?
New requests take place immediately. A change, once a companion selection is in place, has to be done prior to the end of November of the year before you wish to make the change. If you take no action, the prior companion continues in that role.

As for the system accidentally dropping a companion (not aware that has ever been reported -- so we will treat this as a hypothetical), it seems reasonable that UA would correct the vacant situation upon request.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

As for the system accidentally dropping a companion (not aware that has ever been reported -- so we will treat this as a hypothetical), it seems reasonable that UA would correct the vacant situation upon request.
Agreed - and thanks - was just thinking that if the whole OP scenario where the companion's status had bounced up and down, and this somehow resulted in a de-linking, the notion of a 2019 registration period somehow now being in effect is probably not correct. But at the end of the day, the companion account number is no doubt just a field in some database table that's not likely to have in any way been altered by said companion's status over time. But if that proved untrue for whatever reason, there's no 2019 registration period/policy that would require any serious sort of exception request or anything along that line; the OP and his companion are almost certainly good to go either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.