Million Miler companion benefit

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or www.mileageplus.com/thanksamillion

First companion choice section takes place immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.

While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed.

The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

See Million Miler program for more
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 16, 12, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Just got my wife's status updated to 1K. Called the 1K number, asked to be transferred to 1K Milage plus, was on hold 2 mins, then the agent updated my wife's status right away. All checks out on her web account.

Don't wait, call.
Old Mar 19, 12, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
This morning, I noticed that Mrs. mikel51 had her status matched without my call. She was a general member on Sat, and on Mon morning she is GS.
Old Mar 19, 12, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
The conclution is that you have to call UA 800 421 4655, and say agent or key in a zero repeatedly to get it fixed. Tried but the announcement said to call back later because the call volume is too high. After 8 calls spread over 10 hours I finally got through and was told that the companion matching was now delayed until Apr 1. I was politely incistent that it be done now as he wanted to book a flight and unless the status was matched he would not be eligble for an upgrade or free luggage allowance. I was put on hold for about 5 minutes and it was taken care of.
Old Mar 19, 12, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
I called MP yesterday as my wife's new status had not appeared. The agent told me they had been informed yesterday the new date for status posting would be March 19th, and asked for our patience for one more day.

This morning the updated status appeared.
Old Mar 19, 12, 9:24 am

Programs: United 1K 3MM
Originally Posted by greg99 View Post
Same here - my wife is now platinum. Took longer to get through VM system than it did sitting on hold and getting the status changed.

Now she wants to know where we're going immediately so that she can use it...

Greg
I think they finally did the sweep. My wife's status went from Platinum to 1K without me calling - some time between last night and this morning! Now, if we can just figure out how to put the new account number into the partner airlines' records....And, I wonder if we need to unload her number on all current records and reload them to set the proper status.
Old Mar 19, 12, 10:01 am

Spouse 1MM GPU Follow Up

Originally Posted by Baze View Post
Short answer is no unless she earns them on her own.
Hi, I'm having difficulty finding where UA indicates my spouse won't receive GPUs. I don't doubt it as her account online reflects she's a 1K without any GPUs. I looked through the printed material in my 1MM kit and got fed up being on hold for 15 minutes. Any links or pointers to content would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 12, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cobijonz View Post
Hi, I'm having difficulty finding where UA indicates my spouse won't receive GPUs. I don't doubt it as her account online reflects she's a 1K without any GPUs. I looked through the printed material in my 1MM kit and got fed up being on hold for 15 minutes. Any links or pointers to content would be helpful.

Thanks.
Look at post 1 3rd bullet of this thread. From UA Insider who is a United representative.
Old Mar 19, 12, 10:18 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by MMProfessor View Post
I think they finally did the sweep. My wife's status went from Platinum to 1K without me calling - some time between last night and this morning! Now, if we can just figure out how to put the new account number into the partner airlines' records....And, I wonder if we need to unload her number on all current records and reload them to set the proper status.
At least for several days after the spousal/partner match, you may have to have UA force the new status onto pre-existing reservations. When I had the 1K desk make the change for my spouse on a Thursday, her status showed up on-line right away, but doing on-line check-in the next Sunday, for a res. booked many weeks earlier showed no status for her on the boarding pass.

A SHARES-savvy agent at the United Club was able to fix this for the flight by doing essentially the same thing that legacy UA required: delete the spouse's M+ number and re-enter it. Don't know how long it'll take for SHARES to catch up to already-confirmed PNRs.

Update, because of a schedule change for an itinerary for 14 days after the status match occurred, I called the 1K desk. The agent noted that my spouse's status was showing on the res. as 1K; so this data point shows that the status updated on the previously-booked flight by no later than 5 days after the change.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 20, 12 at 6:08 pm Reason: to update re sweep of status on existing res.
Old Mar 19, 12, 10:18 am

Baze, thanks very much for the quick response. I read the thread when it came out in September and was hoping UA would more formally communicate the benefits of 1MM for spouses (than a post on FT). I realize I was probably hoping for too much.
Old Mar 19, 12, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just checked my wife's account and it has updated her to Premier Gold for the status match. So looks like the sweep happened last night or this morning.
Old Mar 19, 12, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1MM
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
Just checked my wife's account and it has updated her to Premier Gold for the status match. So looks like the sweep happened last night or this morning.
Same here: Mr Laginibre status online now shows up as Premier/Plat, *Gold.
Question: will spouses/SOs receive a new card showing their matched status? Obviously necessary to get entry into Partners' lounges when traveling internationally on their own (and also being exempt from luggage fees).
Old Mar 19, 12, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P-MM
Originally Posted by laginibre View Post
Same here: Mr Laginibre status online now shows up as Premier/Plat, *Gold.
Question: will spouses/SOs receive a new card showing their matched status? Obviously necessary to get entry into Partners' lounges when traveling internationally on their own (and also being exempt from luggage fees).
Same here - Mrs. Bigbit is now a Premier 1K...
Old Mar 19, 12, 1:48 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Just logged into my SO's account to check on her mileage balance and it is showing she got the status match to 1K.

Now, while she is flying as a FA, she can tell all the passengers.....(showing her shiny new card) "see...everyone is elite here...even the flight attendants!!"
Old Mar 19, 12, 1:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by laginibre View Post
Question: will spouses/SOs receive a new card showing their matched status? ....
the standard answer for a new card after a status change is 4-6 weeks. For UA flights & clubs, the card isn't need (atleast after a few days). For other may might try print the account page (I think it is well done by the partners that card deleicery has been problematic this year).
Old Mar 19, 12, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Just checked and my wife has gone from general member to 1K. I realize this is a controversial benefit for some but in my household it has helped make my travel schedule much more tolerable to my wife.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: