Old Jun 18, 16, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit

Old Sep 9, 22, 11:10 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by rowenb View Post
Yes, I finally got around to doing that yesterday, and today I confirmed that her status is now GS. That result surprises me.

From a practical matter, I suspect that the person whose companion I am will finally lose his GS status for 2023, at which point I imagine I'll revert to being a 1K based on my own flying record, and then my wife will inherit my 1K status. But at least she'll be GS for a few months
Cool. Maybe we could daisy-chain the entire flyertalk group into GS this way!
arles and Flying Machine like this.
Old Sep 9, 22, 11:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rowenb View Post
Yesterday I tried naming a companion for the first time, naming my spouse. Our MP accounts have different mailing addresses. I got a message, asking me to confirm that my spouse is truly eligible under the program terms. I clicked "yes", as we do in fact share the same house even though our MP accounts show different addresses. My saying "yes" was good enough for United, and her companion status was approved even though I didn't actually update either account's address to match the other account. ....
Thanks for updating the community on this. Seems an reasonable addition but still allowing close relatives..
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Sep 9, 22, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
This is all for naught if the +1's son does live at the same address which would make them eligible. But it sounds like he doesn't.
Not even the same country.

Originally Posted by chavala View Post
Seems like a no-brainer.
You don't know her son. He won't do anything even remotely dishonest.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Sep 9, 22, 1:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Not even the same country.
But same planet
Old Sep 9, 22, 7:08 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
But same planet
Usually.
Dyce likes this.
Old Sep 9, 22, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
That's too bad. Since we're both MM now, the benefit is wasted on us. It would have been nice for +1 to have been able to nominate her son.
Has +1 tried to nominate her son as her MM companion given the success of others who have recently posted?

David
Old Oct 19, 22, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LTT)
I just changed my MM companion for next year. Their account has the same mailing address as mine but I got a warning after entering their MP# that the addresses don't match and to certify that they meet the criteria outlined under the Terms and Conditions of the program. There was a handy URL link straight to the T&C's which clearly call out as #1 that they must reside at the same address.

I was given two options: I certify that they meet the T&Cs or I certify that they do not meet the T&Cs. I chose the first one and received an immediate response that my companion has been successfully changed. I do not know what would happen if I clicked the second option but I imagine an error saying that they must meet the T&Cs would appear and my companion wouldn't have been successfully changed.

So United is enforcing this to a degree. What happens if you lie and say they live at the same address but clearly they don't? I don't know.

-RM
Old Oct 19, 22, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
I just changed my MM companion for next year. Their account has the same mailing address as mine but I got a warning after entering their MP# that the addresses don't match and to certify that they meet the criteria outlined under the Terms and Conditions of the program. There was a handy URL link straight to the T&C's which clearly call out as #1 that they must reside at the same address.

I was given two options: I certify that they meet the T&Cs or I certify that they do not meet the T&Cs. I chose the first one and received an immediate response that my companion has been successfully changed. I do not know what would happen if I clicked the second option but I imagine an error saying that they must meet the T&Cs would appear and my companion wouldn't have been successfully changed.

So United is enforcing this to a degree. What happens if you lie and say they live at the same address but clearly they don't? I don't know.

-RM
The program has historically stated that where someone lives is based on the data UA has for them within MileagePlus. I just looked at the MM page that defines companion eligibility. The first term is still, "A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information." (emphasis added). The MM companion page itself has the same language. I am nt convinced that anything has changed here. If the MileagePlus address for you and your companion is the same then by the T&C provided by UA (in at least two places on its site) your companion is eligible to be so designated.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 20, 22, 12:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
I am nt convinced that anything has changed here.
What's changed recently (and very obviously) is that UA is now at least making a show of enforcing the companion rules as written. In the past, there has been absolutely no such effort.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Oct 20, 22, 7:48 am

This may have been caused by (and be in response to) the blatant daisy-chaining of unrelated "companions" mentioned in some past postings. Just a guess.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 20, 22, 10:44 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I got the "addresses don't match" message as well. Just a big FYI: the algo is pretty lame. I determined that my address said "XXX Road" whereas my teenage son's address was "XXX Rd." But the algo still said no dice. Turns out I had Zip+4 and my son's address only had a 5-digit zipcode. Once I fixed that, it worked.

As a former software engineer, I have to say, this is some amateur-hour programming.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, Fredd and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 22, 22, 6:06 pm

MM Companion issue

trying to change companion to my son. Addresses match exactly. I certify that he meets the t&cs and get this error: ""based on the information you provided, the person you elected is not currently eligible to be selected as your Million Miler Companion."

what gives?
Old Oct 22, 22, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by bmw303 View Post
trying to change companion to my son. Addresses match exactly. I certify that he meets the t&cs and get this error: ""based on the information you provided, the person you elected is not currently eligible to be selected as your Million Miler Companion."

what gives?
Timing?
Old Oct 22, 22, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B View Post
Timing?
The cut-off is Nov. 30. I vote for IT fail.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Oct 22, 22, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, AA 2MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by bmw303 View Post

what gives?
Check every letter of your address -- including the zip code + 4 -- this is no longer about helping GS -- it's about exclusion -- welcome to Kirbyland....
limey1K likes this.

Search this Thread