Million Miler companion benefit

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 1, 22, 3:36 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 28, 22, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
They may be checking addresses now. When I crossed the MM threshold last month and went to nominate my wife, it told me she had to be at the same address. My street name had Sq as the abbreviation for Square, hers had the word Square. I changed hers to Sq and then it let me proceed.
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Aug 31, 22, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, BonVoy Lifetime Titanium
Hi All,
I'm getting the same error message as JAaronT posted earlier. I can't even get to the companion selection page. for the record, my account shows
Lifetime flight miles

I've had a companion listed for several years and I'm trying to change it before the November deadline. Has anyone raised the issue with United yet?
Old Sep 3, 22, 12:22 pm

Can my companion upgrade my status?

I'm a million-miler. Most years I am the lead traveller in the family and I upgrade my wife's status each year as "my companion". This year she is doing all the travelling. So if she reaches 1K does that mean that I do too ?
Old Sep 3, 22, 12:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kata Boat View Post
I'm a million-miler. Most years I am the lead traveller in the family and I upgrade my wife's status each year as "my companion". This year she is doing all the travelling. So if she reaches 1K does that mean that I do too ?
No, unless she become a MMer
Old Sep 3, 22, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
No, unless she become a MMer
And makes you her MM companion.

David
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Sep 8, 22, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by trm2 View Post
They may be checking addresses now.
That's too bad. Since we're both MM now, the benefit is wasted on us. It would have been nice for +1 to have been able to nominate her son.
Old Sep 8, 22, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
That's too bad. Since we're both MM now, the benefit is wasted on us. It would have been nice for +1 to have been able to nominate her son.
No, your +1 should be able to nominate her son and you can now designate someone else besides +1..

David
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 8, 22, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
No, your +1 should be able to nominate her son and you can now designate someone else besides +1..
The son would have to be at the same address as the +1 to be able to nominate him as the million miler companion. I suspect that's why mahasamatman said "that's too bad" because a few posts up says United is checking matching addresses now for the companion.

-RM
Old Sep 8, 22, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
The son would have to be at the same address as the +1 to be able to nominate him as the million miler companion. I suspect that's why mahasamatman said "that's too bad" because a few posts up says United is checking matching addresses now for the companion.

-RM
Disagree.

See from thread wiki and others who've posted:

While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed.
Since +1 is mom, she can provide son's MP info as her MM companion.

David
Old Sep 8, 22, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
Disagree.

See from thread wiki and others who've posted
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. While United may not have been enforcing the "same address" rule in the past, it is CLEARLY called out in United's requirements. Also refer to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34551943-post1126.html which is a recent and clear indication that matching addresses are required.

Directly from United.com (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ml#eligibility)

Companion eligibility:

1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
A thread wiki is not definitive, especially when it flies in the face of what United claims. Personal experience definitely helps but United does maintain control of the program and can change the rules (or choose to enforce the rules) at any time. It's what we agree to signing up as a MileagePlus member.

This is all for naught if the +1's son does live at the same address which would make them eligible. But it sounds like he doesn't.

-RM
Old Sep 8, 22, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
So? Have the son change his MP account so his address is the same as his parents. The words, "based on MileagePlus profile information" are the key here. Then add the son as a companin.
bocastephen, RobOnLI and chavala like this.
Old Sep 8, 22, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
So? Have the son change his MP account so his address is the same as his parents. The words, "based on MileagePlus profile information" are the key here. Then add the son as a companin.
Exactly. Seems like a no-brainer. Not like theyre checking IDs
Old Sep 8, 22, 11:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Actually experience reports are the best guide, while could UA enforce to the posted rules, there are many, many examples that UA is not as restrictive as their rules imply -- another example if this if the 7-day rule on 24 hour ticket purchase refunds (allowed by DOT, in UA posted policy, not enforced)

Looking to hear an actual denial of different address applicant
Flying Machine and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 8, 22, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JAaronT View Post
I have no ability to do anything
Working now, was successfully able to add a companion
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 22, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Actually experience reports are the best guide, while could UA enforce to the posted rules, there are many, many examples that UA is not as restrictive as their rules imply -- another example if this if the 7-day rule on 24 hour ticket purchase refunds (allowed by DOT, in UA posted policy, not enforced)

Looking to hear an actual denial of different address applicant
Yesterday I tried naming a companion for the first time, naming my spouse. Our MP accounts have different mailing addresses. I got a message, asking me to confirm that my spouse is truly eligible under the program terms. I clicked "yes", as we do in fact share the same house even though our MP accounts show different addresses. My saying "yes" was good enough for United, and her companion status was approved even though I didn't actually update either account's address to match the other account.

You can always designate her as your MM companion and she will inherit your status as well. Since you inherit GS as a MM companion, she will too through you.

David
Yes, I finally got around to doing that yesterday, and today I confirmed that her status is now GS. That result surprises me.

From a practical matter, I suspect that the person whose companion I am will finally lose his GS status for 2023, at which point I imagine I'll revert to being a 1K based on my own flying record, and then my wife will inherit my 1K status. But at least she'll be GS for a few months
SPN Lifer, EmailKid, Xyzzy and 2 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 9, 22 at 11:11 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member

Search this Thread