Old Jun 18, 16, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit

Old Jul 20, 22, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Annual Companion Change

What bugs me is the once a year only change that MP allow you to make for your companion pass nominee.

I dont get why they are so stringent about it. I mean think about it for a sec. A quick use of the Google tells me that UA has 4900 flights a day. Think about all the MP members on each of those flights.

There are some mighty powerful Oracle databases working behind the scenes which post MP balances essentially in real time.

That's a crap load of data. Apparently, the Google also says that there are 100 million MP members. No clue how many 1K's there are, but say 200K for good measure. And of those, how many would be changing companion pass details annually? I bet the answer is sweet eff all. It's not a database issue, or a complexity issue. I can't understand why the rule is so rigid.

I wanted to change my companion from my ex wife to my daughter. I'd forgotten about it completely. I have not made a change in 15+ years. I mean fair enough, I can see why they dont want you changing every month - but they could let you change it anytime during the year and then say you don't get another change for another year.

Bad United. Bad...
Old Jul 20, 22, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eightblack View Post
What bugs me is the once a year only change that MP allow you to make for your companion pass nominee.
It doesnt really matter. The companion change is effective the following year of the change.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jul 20, 22, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
It doesnt really matter. The companion change is effective the following year of the change.
Isnt that exactly the point of the gripe?
chavala likes this.
Old Jul 20, 22, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wanted to change status mid year so my daughter could have the benefits as she has an international trip in September. No amount of calling or emailing would budge anyone to make an exception to the rule.
Old Jul 21, 22, 12:28 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wanted to change status mid year so my daughter could have the benefits as she has an international trip in September. No amount of calling or emailing would budge anyone to make an exception to the rule.
Probably not a good idea to let Number One Son know about the perquisite your about to bestow. 😀

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jul 21, 22 at 12:45 am
Old Jul 21, 22, 5:06 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
We, especially 1Ks, love the onetime exception from UA. The MM companion benefit is one exception to this love affair. 😂 Anyway, you might be annoyed being asked for onetime exception repeatedly from an ex (most MMers do not fly UA much after reaching a milestone; so, we are ex to UA).

Last edited by Kmxu; Jul 21, 22 at 8:08 am
Old Jul 21, 22, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
This is one reason why UA won't budge on this. Once you choose a companion you can't change until the NEXT year. I think the change period is sometime at the end of the year but I can't remember as my wife has been my MM now for years. I switched her off years ago to my nephew who was also doing a bunch of international travel and ended up getting an ear full from my wife for a year, something I assure you I won't repeat....LOL
Old Jul 21, 22, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM 1K, UC Lifetime , HHonors Diamond, Presidential Plus card holder
Just put the change in now. It won't be good until January 1, 2023 but then you won't be on the line with UA on December 1 saying you meant to do this by November 30.
EmailKid, Xyzzy and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Aug 24, 22, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Approaching million miles and am a 1K…should hit MM late this year or early next, and will hit 1K later this year. Will my selected companion (once I hit MM) also receive plus points by being matched to 1K? Or will they only receive plus points based on their own points flown/received? Thank you!
Old Aug 24, 22, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by Swyfly View Post
Approaching million miles and am a 1Kshould hit MM late this year or early next, and will hit 1K later this year. Will my selected companion (once I hit MM) also receive plus points by being matched to 1K? Or will they only receive plus points based on their own points flown/received? Thank you!
MM companion does not receive PlusPoints merely for being MM companion.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, lsquare and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 25, 22, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .56 MM, United & Admirals Clubs, Marriott Platinum
Of course, there are other benefits to being a Premier 1K member other than Plus Points.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 25, 22, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K / 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum, Amex Platinum
I just tried to change my MM companion, something I've done a couple times over the last decade. This time, I received an error message from UA.com saying my account is ineligible for this benefit! Has anyone else gotten this? I tried on two different browsers and got the same result.

Old Aug 25, 22, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by TechOps View Post
I just tried to change my MM companion, something I've done a couple times over the last decade. This time, I received an error message from UA.com saying my account is ineligible for this benefit! Has anyone else gotten this? I tried on two different browsers and got the same result.

Probably have to wait for another month or so to change for next year.

David
TechOps and 8MiHi like this.
Old Aug 25, 22, 2:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I just tried to change my MM companion, something I've done a couple times over the last decade. This time, I received an error message from UA.com saying my account is ineligible for this benefit! Has anyone else gotten this? I tried on two different browsers and got the same result. ...
That's odd

Is your present companion still showing your status?

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Probably have to wait for another month or so to change for next year.
That has now been past practice, just needed to be done prior 30 Nov

Can I change my designated companion who will receive Premier status?
Yes, any change to your companion must be completed by November 30 of the preceding year and will take effect the following calendar year (during the first week of January).
Old Aug 25, 22, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

One can only change the nominated companion during a short window at the end f each calendar year. I suspect that's the issue here. The error message could certainly be more informative.
Flying Machine likes this.

Search this Thread