Old Jun 18, 16, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit

Old May 28, 22, 4:21 am

I suspect the companions have quite a few "friends" already.
Old May 28, 22, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Just to report, I had my companion request a welcome kit or at least the handle wrap from 1kvoice. It got forwarded to the MP desk and she go this reply: "Due to a limited supply of these items, they are only available to members who have flown the calendar year Premier 1K qualification requirements."
I'll have to search from some old luggage tags so she has something. I use to have so many and threw them out.
Old Jul 9, 22, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
It'll be interesting to see if they allow my wife to use her son as a companion. Different last name, different address, different country.
Old Jul 9, 22, 11:46 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
It'll be interesting to see if they allow my wife to use her son as a companion. Different last name, different address, different country.
Has not been a problem for my brother, but we do share a last name.

And I've changed my address from US to Canada (with proof at time UA required it that they accepted) and back a time or two over the last dozen years .....
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 9, 22, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I don't think different last name or address are a problem at all. Not sure about different country, though - that costs UA extra money for postage.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 9, 22, 2:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
... Not sure about different country, though - that costs UA extra money for postage.
postage for what? No snail mail materials.
Old Jul 9, 22, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Perhaps if the sponsor is a 1K, the designee may want a 1K luggage handle ?
Old Jul 9, 22, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
Perhaps if the sponsor is a 1K, the designee may want a 1K luggage handle ?
(Thought about mentioning that, figured some one would eventually mention this corner case -- after all this FT )

Generally UA limited those to domestic based folks and only on request. Easy enough to block for non-domestic companions if that was a significant concern. The number of new non-domestic MMer companions is not a major deterrent. (the question was about non-domestic companions)
Old Jul 9, 22, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Time for United to think about adding benefits to those who have flown more than 4 million.

Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
Wow, I need to make friends with a 4MM's companion's companion's companion's .....
not just a friend.it needs to be the best friend be considered.
Old Jul 9, 22, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My nominee (while UA was mailing them) received Hemispheres magazines, as an example.

Edit: Different address/last name.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 9, 22 at 3:23 pm
Old Jul 9, 22, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My nominee (while UA was mailing them) received Hemispheres magazines, as an example.
Indeed, my wife and I both got copies, at the same address... 🤷‍♂️
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 9, 22, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Same for my son and I
Old Jul 9, 22, 6:18 pm

Edit: Different address/last name.
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
Same for my son and I
UA was not mailing the magizine, the publisher was -- this was not done at UA's expense. It was done to get the eyeballs on the magazine for maintaining advertising rates
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32571953-post53.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32599001-post87.html
INK Publishing is paying the shipping costs for the magazine, which is only being sent to U.S.-based members with top airline elite status.
So we are back to the point, there is no present cost reason for not allowing non-domestic MMer companions, due to added mailing costs, correct?
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 9, 22, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
UA was not mailing the magizine, the publisher was -- this was not done at UA's expense. It was done to get the eyeballs on the magazine for maintaining advertising rates
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32571953-post53.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32599001-post87.html

So we are back to the point, there is no present cost reason for not allowing non-domestic MMer companions, due to added mailing costs, correct?

It's a shame they didn't mail that to UA elites outside the US. I've been grabbing a copy each time I'm at SFO Rotunda. UC rep said it's free.
​​​​​​
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 9, 22, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
It's a shame they didn't mail that to UA elites outside the US. ... ​​​​​​
Mailing costs too high and the increase ad revenue probably did not cover the added costs. Or they would have.
This was not a "benefit", it was purely done to continue to sustain ad revenue
lsquare likes this.

Search this Thread