Old Jun 18, 16, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit

Old Dec 22, 21, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by A Little Cow View Post
There is specific requirements here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ml#eligibility

I guess the most relevant is #1 which says "A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information." So by "someone closest" to you it mostly means someone who literally lives with you, but marriage is not required.
From my experience they don't really enforce the "resides at same home address" thing. I was the MM companion of my father for many years and my sister is now my father's MM companion and we've lived apart for all of that time. Perhaps with our same last names they assumed a spouse or something, but it was never an issue.
Old Dec 22, 21, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
My 1K status was extended through 1/2023, did not requalify, and my daughter's status was also extended as MM companion. I was not asked to nominate/change companion.
Flying Machine and 8MiHi like this.
Old Dec 23, 21, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
From my experience they don't really enforce the "resides at same home address" thing. I was the MM companion of my father for many years and my sister is now my father's MM companion and we've lived apart for all of that time. Perhaps with our same last names they assumed a spouse or something, but it was never an issue.
My nephew has been MM companion of his aunts for several years. Different addresses but same last names fwiw. He has never had a problem.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 25, 21, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 4BandE View Post
Thanks. I actually just earn it this morning on the HNL-SFO redeye. My account showed 1K status immediately. Hers still shows Premier Platinum.

I'll give it a day to update!
Did it update after all?

David
Old Dec 25, 21, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.6MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Just want to confirm that January 1st is the first day I can change my companion designation for 2022? My husband made 1K on his own so I am going to match my 10 year-old daughter. She is extremely excited about this and asks regularly. :-). Thanks!
Old Dec 25, 21, 12:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JNelson113 View Post
Just want to confirm that January 1st is the first day I can change my companion designation for 2022? ...
Sorry for the bad news but 30 November was the last day to change companion designation for the coming year
Old Dec 26, 21, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM 1K, UC Lifetime , HHonors Diamond, Presidential Plus card holder
Just want to confirm that January 1st is the first day I can change my companion designation for 2022? My husband made 1K on his own so I am going to match my 10 year-old daughter. She is extremely excited about this and asks regularly. :-). Thanks!
If you did not have a named companion (it appears that your husband was your named companion), you could name her now. Otherwise, as stated above, the November 30 date rules.
Old Dec 26, 21, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by CIT85 View Post
My 1K status was extended through 1/2023, did not requalify, and my daughter's status was also extended as MM companion. I was not asked to nominate/change companion.
UA never asks one to change every year -- or to confirm that the companion is staying the same. As thers have noted, if a companion has already been specified, any changes need to be made prior to November 30, otherwise the same companion will remain the following calendar year.
Old Dec 26, 21, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Sorry for the bad news but 30 November was the last day to change companion designation for the coming year
Oh crap, this is terrible news.

At least I know for the future.
Old Dec 26, 21, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Oh crap, this is terrible news.

At least I know for the future.
You might try to call. No guarantee, but you just might run into a sympathetic supervisor at mileage plus. Tell them you misunderstood the rules and patiently waited for January 1.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 21, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT View Post
You might try to call. No guarantee, but you just might run into a sympathetic supervisor at mileage plus. Tell them you misunderstood the rules and patiently waited for January 1.
Thank you, I will try!
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Dec 26, 21, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
I dont understand the logic of Nov 30 deadline for changing status partner.
At that point, one is not sure of their status (for themselves and to confer) for the following year. Will I make GS? Will I get to 1K?
Seems Jan 30 would be a better date.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 21, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tcdtcd View Post
I dont understand the logic of Nov 30 deadline for changing status partner.
At that point, one is not sure of their status (for themselves and to confer) for the following year. Will I make GS? Will I get to 1K?
While perhaps for the FT community, I suspect most elites earned status is well known (in normal times) long before Nov 30. Doing December status runs are not the norm for the elite community.
Additionally I wonder how rare it is for elites to change their designation -- doubt it is common.

I also suspect the November date was allow UA processing time to get everything in place. In particular, in the past elite kits and cards (a bit a thing of the past)

Doubt there is a pressing need to shift later.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Jan 2, 22, 7:37 pm

Programs: Various
Has anyone changed companions, and had it take a few days into the new year to take effect? I changed from my daughter to my son for this year (and searching my email, I see I did that on Nov. 4), and his status update has still not happened.

Since we were flying on 1/1 (and again today on 1/2), I wrote to 1kvoice to try to get it sorted, but received an utterly unhelpful form-letter-type response back (along the lines of "if you are having trouble with a booking, please call 1-800..."). I'm trying to decide if I should call in about it or wait for a bit. The MM companion website says the change will be made in the "first week of January," so I'm happy to wait, but I don't to wait and then have them say I've taken too long to let them know about the error!
Old Jan 2, 22, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by mechteach View Post
Has anyone changed companions, and had it take a few days into the new year to take effect?
.... The MM companion website says the change will be made in the "first week of January," so I'm happy to wait, but I don't to wait and then have them say I've taken too long to let them know about the error!
The first week or two has been the practice in the past and not 1st January.
mechteach likes this.

Search this Thread