Million Miler companion benefit

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or www.mileageplus.com/thanksamillion

First companion choice section takes place immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.

While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed.

The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

See Million Miler program for more
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 27, 20, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAflyer93 View Post
United makes it clear that as a benefit of reaching MM, which is a nontrivial achievement, you get to gift YOUR status for that year.
It also makes it clear your companion must live in the same household. That very clear rule, which isn't currently being enforced, is - in my opinion, being exploited by a lot of people - At some point, I anticipate they enforce that rule - it is probably on some IT list, just not a high priority until someone in the Loyalty Dept makes it one.

Companion eligibility:

1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 20, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
Daisy chaining in all likelihood is extremely rare. Likely more expensive to fix the problem than the benefit provided.
I believe it is more common that many think. This has been discussed on other threads. I tried it years back with co-workers and and previously posted about it. It didn't work, some felt it was because we were all listed at the same address. But others replied back that they were successful and in fact claimed some fairly extensive daisy chains existed.
Old Feb 27, 20, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
The secret is out on FT!

Originally Posted by Lifetimenotelite View Post
Because itís gifting a status twice.

The second MM should only be able to gift the status they have earned.

You could have multiple Gold MM and a single GS essentially gifting GS to a dozen or more people.

Would not suprise me at all to have a bunch of people doing it, especially from FT.

If everybody has it then nobody will have it....
This is just another, remaining loophole to be (already) exploited by FTers. UA will fix it.
Old Feb 27, 20, 1:58 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
And these loopholes would be very easy to fix
  1. Only allow MMs to gift the status that they have organically earned -- not any higher status that they have themselves been gifted.
  2. Enforce the existing written MM rule that says a companion must be a spouse, or live at the same address as the gifter.
We complain repeatedly about service from UA being inconsistent -- either in the air or in the application of ticketing or upgrade rules, etc. Here, UA should write its rules explicitly, and enforce them consistently.
Old Feb 27, 20, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by UAflyer93 View Post
You can’t gift your status to someone else unless you are MM. so if you reach MM, then, yes, you have earned the right to gift your status to someone else.

And to use your analogy, if a family has a rule that each family member can share the car with another member (I suppose with a friend), then upon joining the family (whether by birth or adoption?), you are entitled to share the car. (Also, sharing is very different than selling. It’s clearly against the rules of the program to sell any status or perks...)

In any case, it’s probably best to steer clear of analogies because everyone can see something different in them..
Sorry, I wrote that wrong in haste. Those receiving GS status via MM companion haven't "earned" it all.

An easy way fix this would be for UA to declare that if you're someone else's companion then they have to be your companion, too, if both are MM. Well, it's UA's IT so maybe not easy.
Lifetimenotelite likes this.
Old Feb 28, 20, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2 MM; IC Spire Amb;

"Companion eligibility:

1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information."
By unwritten policy, this has been waived for several years. The companion can have any address.
Old Feb 29, 20, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post

"Companion eligibility:

1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information."
By unwritten policy, this has been waived for several years. The companion can have any address.
And now one can see a compelling case for why the home address match made sense.

I donít want to see abuse such as a daisy chain turn into a removal of the companion benefit.
8MiHi likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: