Million Miler companion benefit

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or www.mileageplus.com/thanksamillion

First companion choice section takes place immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.

While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed.

The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

See Million Miler program for more
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 12, 20, 10:39 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
I think you can only bequeath organically earned status (i.e., what you earned from being a 1K, GS or MM). You cannot bequeath companion-conferred status. So I think your answer is no. Your organically Gold companion can only bequeath Gold, not GS.
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:42 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by seenitall View Post
I think you can only bequeath organically earned status (i.e., what you earned from being a 1K, GS or MM). You cannot bequeath companion-conferred status. So I think your answer is no. Your organically Gold companion can only bequeath Gold, not GS.
This is correct.
Old Feb 12, 20, 11:06 am

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
This is actually not correct. I'm a 4MM GS, husband is MM and GS by companion to me. Bequeathed status to our best friend and he became GS
Old Feb 12, 20, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS View Post
This is actually not correct. I'm a 4MM GS, husband is MM and GS by companion to me. Bequeathed status to our best friend and he became GS
I'm trying to find the thread, but I do remember reading this, that it does indeed "daisy chain".
Old Feb 12, 20, 11:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
While it is doubtful UA intended to provide "daisy chaining", however, there are multiple reported cases in this thread. Guess, so far as not been a sufficient irritant to prevent.
Lifetimenotelite likes this.
Old Feb 12, 20, 12:57 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Unless this "best friend" resides with you, this would seem to violate a different of UA's MM rules:

"A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information."

See https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ml#eligibility
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by seenitall View Post
Unless this "best friend" resides with you, this would seem to violate a different of UA's MM rules:

"A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information."

See https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ml#eligibility
UA has long ceased enforcing this requirement even for the primary companion. Many affirmations of this in this thread.
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:23 pm

That is correct. Was totally transparent to the GS MP agent who added the companion that there was a different address and was told not a problem
Old Feb 26, 20, 10:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club Gold
Award travel

Does the companion of a 1K also get the benefit of cancelling award tickets without a fee?
Old Feb 26, 20, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
Does the companion of a 1K also get the benefit of cancelling award tickets without a fee?
The 1K companion is recognized as a 1K in their own right as far as travel and ticketing benefits are concerned, so, yes.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Feb 27, 20, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
While it is doubtful UA intended to provide "daisy chaining", however, there are multiple reported cases in this thread. Guess, so far as not been a sufficient irritant to prevent.
Im all for the companion benefit but this GS daisy chain is definitely one that is something UA should block.

I think this is not something the program should allow.

I was a GS for several years based out of BOS MHT from UA perspective and I got A LOT of upgrades and benefits out of it for my wife and family. But I was flying a lot of front cabin. To have someone daisy chained and getting those benefits seems wrong.

While you arenít doing anything nefarious, this I believe is a loop hole needing closed.

Can only imagine how many times your friend has cleared an upgrade over someone because of this....

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
There are other members of this community who successfully implemented such a chain. Last I heard it was significantly longer than 4 or 5 members.
And this would be precisely why UA needs to fix this glitch.

Edit: I could even see UA taking away accounts from some Super Long daisy chain as itís obviously a clear attempt to subvert the process. Doing to obtain GS is even more egregious as itís a high value spend requirement that is being bypassed.
seenitall and JimInOhio like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 27, 20 at 12:47 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 27, 20, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Lifetimenotelite View Post
Im all for the companion benefit but this GS daisy chain is definitely one that is something UA should block.
Along with this, I think the special status of GS donated instruments should end, too.
Old Feb 27, 20, 7:06 am

I think this is not something the program should allow.

I was a GS for several years based out of BOS MHT from UA perspective and I got A LOT of upgrades and benefits out of it for my wife and family. But I was flying a lot of front cabin. To have someone daisy chained and getting those benefits seems wrong.

While you arenít doing anything nefarious, this I believe is a loop hole needing closed.

Can only imagine how many times your friend has cleared an upgrade over someone because of this....
He buys front cabin but flies only occasionally on United, so the answer is not many times at all if ever. This has given United a bigger percentage of his premium travel than they would otherwise have gotten
Old Feb 27, 20, 7:50 am

He buys front cabin but flies only occasionally on United, so the answer is not many times at all if ever. This has given United a bigger percentage of his premium travel than they would otherwise have gotten
UA has made upgrade available more scarce as upgrades means you use them up quickly.

If Iím on my annual vacation once per year and I miss out on an upgrade due to this glitch itís extremely unfair to lose out to someone who cleared due to gaming the system. All it takes is once.

This is the kind of thing that UA starts reviewing and then find other things to cut.

Would not be surprised that UA closes some MP accounts over this once they finally get around too it.
Old Feb 27, 20, 7:58 am

UA has made upgrade available more scarce as upgrades means you use them up quickly.

If Iím on my annual vacation once per year and I miss out on an upgrade due to this glitch itís extremely unfair to lose out to someone who cleared due to gaming the system. All it takes is once.

This is the kind of thing that UA starts reviewing and then find other things to cut.

Would not be surprised that UA closes some MP accounts over this once they finally get around too it.
As someone who has spent more than $1,000,000 on United over 30 years, who buys premium cabin for myself and my spouse, and who has brought more premium cabin business to United through our friend's gifted status, I would view from a rational and financial point of view this has been a win for United. You may disagree and it is your right to do so.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: