Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Archive thread: Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit

Old Feb 11, 2024, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Yes your companion will be GS.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sfonorth

2 questions;
1. Was offered a Globsllll services challenge of $18k which I will complete this week. Once I am granted GS, will my companion automatically have a status change even though its happening a bit late

2. Mileage plus lists that Companions of Premier Platinum and Premier 1K members are not eligible for PlusPoints. Does this apply to companions of GS? I wasnt sure if its just the language of the T&CTtuyyy
1) yes, typically with a 1-2 day delay. This will reliably happen
2) MM companions get all the benefits of status except for the plus points.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by sfonorth
My wife and daughter are 1MM so we have a daisy chain of statuses from me.
So a MM who "inherits" status can share that status with a companion?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I'm curious what other benefits are not offered for the companion. For example, my companion requested a handle wrap last year and was denied citing this reason. Nothing yet this year.
I wasn't sure which agents can see if a person is a MM companion or has REAL status. I often wonder if they receive different treatment.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 7:07 am

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by drewguy
as long as they are a million miler themselves, yes.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 7:07 am

That was true in the past. Supposedly United is trying to cut back on abuse of this by more strictly enforcing the "family member/same address" criterion.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by eng3
I'm curious what other benefits are not offered for the companion. For example, my companion requested a handle wrap last year and was denied citing this reason. Nothing yet this year.
I wasn't sure which agents can see if a person is a MM companion or has REAL status. I often wonder if they receive different treatment.
i know multiple GS and 1K companions who have got luggage tags and handle wraps
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and 8MiHi like this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Counsellor
That was true in the past. Supposedly United is trying to cut back on abuse of this by more strictly enforcing the "family member/same address" criterion.
Not sure it's necessarily an abuse - I can easily see this happening with two spouses with MM, but only one that year with a top status, and they cascade to a child living in their household.

My question was really the underlying one which is an MM is able to pass along not just their own status but also a higher status they obtain via being a MM's designated companion.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:47 am

Not sure it's necessarily an abuse - I can easily see this happening with two spouses with MM, but only one that year with a top status, and they cascade to a child living in their household.

My question was really the underlying one which is an MM is able to pass along not just their own status but also a higher status they obtain via being a MM's designated companion.
The answer is yes. so in your case let's say both spouses are Million milers, but one is 1K, and the other is Gold by virtue of MM status. Spouse 1 can designate spouse 2 as their companion, and spouse 2 can designate their child as their companion. All 3 would be 1K
jsloan, SPN Lifer, drewguy and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Counsellor
United will also emphatically deny that its possible to create such a daisy chain. Of course, many people have done so.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
This did not happen to me. (No cascade to a 3rd person).

Both 1MMs, my spouse and I typically designate pals who have moved their United address to match our homes. We've both been 1K for years, so it has helped 2 additional friends. Last year we flew less. As I was getting 1K for 2024, I changed my spouse to my Million Mile Companion last Fall... He kept his pal as the Million Mile Companion. So for 2024, I am 1K. My spouse is 1K (and the site notes he got it via a Companion). Spouse's pal is just gold from his flying.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by gsalem94122
This did not happen to me. (No cascade to a 3rd person).

Both 1MMs, my spouse and I typically designate pals who have moved their United address to match our homes. We've both been 1K for years, so it has helped 2 additional friends. Last year we flew less. As I was getting 1K for 2024, I changed my spouse to my Million Mile Companion last Fall... He kept his pal as the Million Mile Companion. So for 2024, I am 1K. My spouse is 1K (and the site notes he got it via a Companion). Spouse's pal is just gold from his flying.
This is interesting. I just did a quick check with 3 friends all of whom have parters who have inherited their status and nowhere on any of theirs does it say the status is that of a companion. It looks the same as earned status
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Talking about United and fraud: has anyone been asked to buy into a Global Services daisy chain? A few months ago, a seat mate started a conversation about buying GS if you’re a million miler. I sensed where the conversation, so changed the subject.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 16, 2024 at 9:12 pm Reason: Moved to LT companion thread which has discussed chains
Old Mar 17, 2024, 12:10 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Talking about United and fraud: has anyone been asked to buy into a Global Services daisy chain? A few months ago, a seat mate started a conversation about buying GS if youre a million miler. I sensed where the conversation, so changed the subject.
No! Fortunately.

Where does this end?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
BUY?! That's a surefire recipe for losing ne's MM status.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.