Million Miler companion benefit

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or www.mileageplus.com/thanksamillion

First companion choice section takes place immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.

While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed.

The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

See Million Miler program for more
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 21, 18, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1.5MM Platinum, UC Lifetime , HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I removed a companion in December a couple of years ago. I think the problem is trying to change companions (remove and add a different one) after November 30th. No harm in calling.
Worth a call if you really wish to go back to single status. I would be intellectually interested to hear of any outcome that allows that.
Old Dec 22, 18, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
I want to remove my companion in 2019.... just realized the cutoff has passed - Nov 30th.

Is there any possible way to change this or is it officially a set deal for 2019 now?
If there is any way they will let you do this it will be as the previous poster stated, as a removal and not as a substitution. I'd make sure to call before December 31, though. Please let us know how this works ut!
Old Dec 22, 18, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Slurve30 View Post
Has anybody ever successfully been able to change the MM companion after the Nov 30 deadline? Wasn't paying attention and missed the deadline and called the 1K desk and they said they can't do it right now because credentials for companions are being made... but supposedly once the credentials are received they can be returned to UA and then the companion can be changed? Hmmmm... sounds like this may belong in the whopper thread lol.
A couple of years ago, my mother-in-law passed away on Nov 30. About 4 months later my father-in-law (who is GS) called United to ask to remove her as his companion and replace her with me. They did that, and as a result I got a mid-year promotion from 1K (on my own merits) to GS (as a companion).
Old Dec 23, 18, 6:19 am

They do bend over backwards more for GS than for a mere MM, so in avi8tir's case it might work.
Old Dec 23, 18, 6:54 am

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC, Global Entry
3 Million Miler now

Hit 3MM on flight to Singapore last week.
Pilot gave me his flight manifest sheet sign by all Pilots with a note stating the time I had the 3mm mile mark and where the plan was when I hit 3mm..
Then took me to pilot cabin for a pic with the crew.
Was al in all a nice gesture..
Next day got a note saying I would never drop below 1K status no matter how much I fly.
abaheti and 8MiHi like this.
Old Dec 23, 18, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by shelby101 View Post
Hit 3MM on flight to Singapore last week.
Pilot gave me his flight manifest sheet sign by all Pilots with a note stating the time I had the 3mm mile mark and where the plan was when I hit 3mm..
Then took me to pilot cabin for a pic with the crew.
Was al in all a nice gesture..
Next day got a note saying I would never drop below 1K status no matter how much I fly.
Congratulations! What a nice achievementÖ
Counsellor and shelby101 like this.
Old Jan 1, 19, 8:55 am

Programs: UA GS
How Long Before the Change?

Hi all. I am a MM companion of a 1K for 2019. She got the change request and confirmed by the 11/30 deadline. Went to my account this morning and it hasnít updated. Is this normal? I was under the impression the status would start today.

Thanks in advance!

-njs
Old Jan 1, 19, 9:00 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by njs281 View Post
Hi all. I am a MM companion of a 1K for 2019. She got the change request and confirmed by the 11/30 deadline. Went to my account this morning and it hasnít updated. Is this normal? I was under the impression the status would start today.

Thanks in advance!

-njs
Same here, says "status being updated, please come back to check"
Old Jan 1, 19, 4:15 pm

Programs: mileagePlua
New MM companion - no status change on UA website

I was a 1K for 2018 but due to job changes, didnít even make Silver for 2019! I did get nominated by a GS MM to be their companion before the deadline but my status also hasnít changed. Is that because Iíll remain 1K until Jan 31? Should I be seeing anything?

called MP and they said they donít have a record of this nomination but that their system has been ďscrewed upĒ lately.
Old Jan 1, 19, 4:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Welcome to FT!, Sam Slater

Originally Posted by Sam Slater View Post
I was a 1K for 2018 but due to job changes, didn’t even make Silver for 2019! I did get nominated by a GS MM to be their companion before the deadline but my status also hasn’t changed. Is that because I’ll remain 1K until Jan 31? Should I be seeing anything? ....
You will have the higher of your earned status or your companion status. It does not say anything in your account about companion status -- just status.
If you had higher status in 2018, that will continue until end of January.
If the MMer is GS, than that should update soon.

It may take a day or two for all the new companion statuses to take effect. nothing unusual about that -- happens every year. Lots of moving parts with respect to mileage earning / status happening at the moment.
Old Jan 13, 19, 7:34 am

at what points does the status update for the companion?
still showing his past years status with 1/31 expiry but i already added him as companion
Old Jan 13, 19, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
So nominations must happen before 11/30, but it doesn’t take effect until 2/1? I’ll have Gold through 1/31 but nothing after that. I have a nomination for Gold, but now am worried it won’t work because I will still have earned Gold in November. Will that pose a problem for the coming year?
Old Jan 13, 19, 9:33 am

Don't worry bout your earned status -- if you're a Million Miler (or Million Miler companion) you have automatic Gold whether or not you also earned Gold by flying last year.

If you earned a status higher than Gold, you will have the earned status. Think of the Million Miler Gold as a base you can't fall below.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 13, 19, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1.5MM Platinum, UC Lifetime , HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
So nominations must happen before 11/30, but it doesnít take effect until 2/1? Iíll have Gold through 1/31 but nothing after that. I have a nomination for Gold, but now am worried it wonít work because I will still have earned Gold in November. Will that pose a problem for the coming year?
I nominated my daughter when my wife earned her own Platinum status. My daughter's status showed up on January 2. When I renominated my wife the next year, my daughter's status fell to silver on 1/1. My wife's status remained Platinum throughout with no gap period.
Old Jan 15, 19, 5:38 pm

GS trying to switch companion.
was told to submit request United / feedback
And was rejected because companion isn't on the same address.

Would switching the address on companions account help?

What else needs to "match" so it will go through for this year being that we already missed the cut off

Search this Thread
Search Engine: