Million Miler companion benefit

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or www.mileageplus.com/thanksamillion

First companion choice section takes place immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.

While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed.

The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

See Million Miler program for more
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 24, 12, 12:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K View Post
Speaking about new numbers for MMer spouses, I registered mine to be matched to my status some time ago. She never had a OP number and currently has no elite status.

Today, I go into her preview page and notice that she has a number that has three letters and five numbers, like KNC12345. Since I thought that the OP number array is two letters and five numbers, wonder if status-matched spouses of MMers get an added letter "C" to segregate them in the MileagePlus record system???
UA Insider has mentioned the 8 char field will be a full 8 alphanumeric code.
I think this was needed given the population limitations of the 2/6 appraoch.

My spouses new account code is also three letters and 5 numbers, but none is the letter "C"

interesting note: for her account there is an offer to buy-up to Silver ($1,846). We will probably skip that since she should inherit my 1K status in a few weeks.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 24, 12 at 1:07 pm Reason: silver buy up
Old Feb 24, 12, 1:04 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Thanks, WineCountry! She got the same buy-up to Silver and passed for the same reason as your spouse.
Old Feb 24, 12, 1:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, UA 1P, 1 MM, Delta, , SW, HHonors
MM Companion benefit: 'mid-March"

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post

interesting note: for her account there is an offer to buy-up to Silver ($1,846). We will probably skip that since she should inherit my 1K status in a few weeks.
My wife had the same offer.

According to UA Insider:

"Thanks for your note. I just posted an answer in the thread, but, to share with you here as well, this will happen around mid-March. "
Old Feb 24, 12, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikel51 View Post
Just booked a standard award flight for Mrs. mikel51 for a Mar.9-12 long weekend in San Francisco. She is currently a GM with no premier status, and they offered to let me buy up to E+. When her status match kicks in, she will be eligible for E+. It would be nice if her new status kicks in on Mar 3, so I can change seats--or do we have to wait.

Also curious if she will go to 1K or GS. If GS, I could try to upgrade her with a CR1.

Sorry if this is buried in a long post somewhere, but I didn't easily find in via search.
I would've booked her on co.com, which still gives the status based on the account from which miles are booked.
Old Feb 24, 12, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
What are people doing who have another in their household with significant status of their own? Are you being nice and "dating" others granting them significant others status? Seems a waste to let the benefit go unused.
Old Feb 24, 12, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EVP, United 1K and 2MM, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Delta
When i went to use it the terms required the significant other have the same last name or same address (their address on file must match yours). Makes it a tad difficult to gift outside unless you want to assgn them your home addresss.

Be interested to hear if anyone has tried to award w/o same name or address.
Old Feb 24, 12, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
That same last name is new to me. I knew about the residence part already. Something change recently?
Old Feb 24, 12, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE View Post
That same last name is new to me. I knew about the residence part already. Something change recently?
I think it is more same address and can't be parent, child, sibling type relationship. Spouse or significant other at same address.
Old Feb 24, 12, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE View Post
from the T&Cs I captured the day the offer was made (so no recent changes)
Companion Eligibility:
* A companion is defined as your spouse or significant other who either resides at the same address as you, based on
your MileagePlus profile information, or shares your last name.
* Your children, other family members, friends or co-workers are not eligible for this benefit.
* Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under their own name and may not
already be the companion of another Million Miler.
* The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is non-transferable.
* Your companion will be sent their own individual Premier credentials and does not need to be traveling with you to
receive the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
* Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by December 30 of
the current year.
* You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the
following year. All change requests must be made by December 30 to be effective for the following year.
Old Feb 24, 12, 5:36 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
A related spouse question

I understand that my wife will get the same status as me around 3/3. Does this mean she will get the same double miles that I get when I fly? It sounds from the way the announcement is written is that this starts in 2012, so will they go back and give my wife double miles for a flight we took in January?
Old Feb 24, 12, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by JB123 View Post
I understand that my wife will get the same status as me around 3/3. ...
probably a few later later than that

... Does this mean she will get the same double miles that I get when I fly? ...
you will get the same mileage bonus assuming it is a paid ticket.

...It sounds from the way the announcement is written is that this starts in 2012, so will they go back and give my wife double miles for a flight we took in January?
no --nothing start until you actually get the status snd nothing earlier than the program start which should be in March. If they will go back to 3 March if status posted later is probably unlikely.
Old Mar 2, 12, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Life, UA Gold/MM
Where's the new MM Companion Benefit Website?

Looks like the old one on united.com is gone?

Thanks! Lee
Old Mar 2, 12, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by leewalk View Post
Where's the new MM Companion Benefit Website?
Looks like the old one on united.com is gone?

Thanks! Lee
you need to wait for the new site to come up -- it will likely look like https://pss.united.com/web/en-US/con.../lifetime.aspx
Old Mar 3, 12, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 2MM, B6 Mosaic
MM Spouse Match - anyone gotten it yet?

Well, it is March 3 east coast time. My wife's account still does not show the MM match to my GS level, or even Gold level that 1MM should provide at a minimum. Anyone else out there gotten the spouse match to show up yet?
Old Mar 3, 12, 2:01 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As noted up-thread, the process to add the designated companion to share a MMer's status will take until about mid-March to complete.

Also see the last par. of UA Insider's post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18114732-post1.html

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 3, 12 at 2:16 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: