Million Miler companion benefit

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or www.mileageplus.com/thanksamillion

First companion choice section takes place immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.

While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed.

The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

See Million Miler program for more
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 4, 13, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by flyforever View Post
I was given some info from a CSA on the phone today. They are having some issues with the system matching the status' but it should all be resolved on January 4th. We will see.
It's Jan 4th and my account still doesn't reflect *G status...;-(
Do you think they will do it all manually? Seems a bit tedious. Wouldn't it have been easier to programme the system to do it automatically on Jan 1st?!
Old Jan 4, 13, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Useless to some, not useless to others. As are a lot of things in life. We don't need to hash out all these grievances yet again in this thread. Please keep it to the Million Miler thread.
Old Jan 4, 13, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier View Post
It's Jan 4th and my account still doesn't reflect *G status...;-(
Do you think they will do it all manually? Seems a bit tedious. Wouldn't it have been easier to programme the system to do it automatically on Jan 1st?!
I just contacted MP again today and was given "new" information. The system apparently is not functioning correctly. Although it indicates that the match is in place it has not matched it to 1K yet. They are saying it could take a few weeks.

The problem seems to be only with those who changed their companion from one person to another. It was supposed to go into effect January 1... then January 4... and now sometime mid-January.

Maybe the Mayans were right after all!
Old Jan 4, 13, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I just contacted MP again today and was given "new" information. The system apparently is not functioning correctly. Although it indicates that the match is in place it has not matched it to 1K yet. They are saying it could take a few weeks.

The problem seems to be only with those who changed their companion from one person to another. It was supposed to go into effect January 1... then January 4... and now sometime mid-January.

Shocked! that the system is not functioning correctly

My BIL is waiting for his status to update too - and the matchee for the matcher is switching from last year, so that's it.
Old Jan 4, 13, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist

Thanks for the information.

I have the same issue as well. Very frustrating!
Old Jan 5, 13, 8:46 am

Makes sense...my case is also one of switching companion from last year...very frustrating.
Do you think they will credit retroactive elite bonus miles?
Old Jan 5, 13, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier View Post
Makes sense...my case is also one of switching companion from last year...very frustrating.
Do you think they will credit retroactive elite bonus miles?
You should be very politely insistent that the bonus miles post. It is UA's screw-up.
Old Jan 9, 13, 6:14 am

Programs: United MM 1k
Just got off the phone with United and they said all changes should be done by friday the 12th. Will see....
Old Jan 9, 13, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gmen211 View Post
Just got off the phone with United and they said all changes should be done by friday the 12th. Will see....
Welcome to FT! Thanks for the update. They must be short on SHARES hamsters to process all these changes - upgrade deposits, status changes, etc.
Old Jan 9, 13, 6:30 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
Proposal for UA. Couple bump up!

I have thought it would be nice for couples (within same household) who both earn or maintain their own status on UA should have a option where this companion benefit has no use/value. The key here being "option". UA should allow us to link our accounts BIS earned lifetime EQM rising to a higher shared lifetime benefit. Even if that link was say only 50% of one persons EQM toward their total pot. The idea of having this touted benefit and having no use for it has always bothered some couples. It would be no skin off anyone and promotes continued revenue spend. My thought.
Old Jan 9, 13, 6:36 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
If both members are MMs what's the best process to change who is considered the companion when status fluctuates? If Mrs. FF is MM but only 1P and Mr. FF is MM and 1K it would make sense for Mrs. FF to be the companion. What happens if the next year Mrs. FF earns 1K while Mr. FF drops to 1P?
Old Jan 9, 13, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beerman92 View Post
If both members are MMs what's the best process to change who is considered the companion when status fluctuates? If Mrs. FF is MM but only 1P and Mr. FF is MM and 1K it would make sense for Mrs. FF to be the companion. What happens if the next year Mrs. FF earns 1K while Mr. FF drops to 1P?
You flip it - call it in by 12/30 (that's what they said you had to do for this year)

Of course, SHARES now seems unable to process these changes easily, that's why what was supposed to be done by 1/1 is still in flux.
Old Jan 10, 13, 3:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Premier
Does anyone know what would happen in the following scenario?

In 2011, Spouse A qualified to be 1K in in 2012. In 2012, Spouse A reached the 1MM mark. Spouse A nominated Spouse B and Spouse B was matched to 1K.

In 2012, Spouse A did not fly much and therefore, will drop to Gold (lifetime 1MM benefit) effective 2/1/2013. What happens to Spouse B's status?

Spouse B:
a) drops to gold status effective 2/1/2013,
b) stays 1K past 1/31/2013 because UA "processed" the companion benefit as of Spouse A's status on 12/31/2012, when Spouse A was still 1K, or
c) system blows up because this scenario was not considered during implementation
Old Jan 10, 13, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Foady View Post
Does anyone know what would happen in the following scenario?

In 2011, Spouse A qualified to be 1K in in 2012. In 2012, Spouse A reached the 1MM mark. Spouse A nominated Spouse B and Spouse B was matched to 1K.

In 2012, Spouse A did not fly much and therefore, will drop to Gold (lifetime 1MM benefit) effective 2/1/2013. What happens to Spouse B's status?

Spouse B:
a) drops to gold status effective 2/1/2013,
b) stays 1K past 1/31/2013 because UA "processed" the companion benefit as of Spouse A's status on 12/31/2012, when Spouse A was still 1K, or
c) system blows up because this scenario was not considered during implementation
I bet it's A - since you're not changing the nominee, annually they should reflect their sponsor's status

But of course, it's SHARES and all, so I won't be surprised if they stay 1K. Who knows.
Old Jan 10, 13, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
The system seems to work now.

My companion's status has been reflected since this morning.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: