Million Miler companion benefit

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or www.mileageplus.com/thanksamillion

First companion choice section takes place immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.

While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed.

The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

See Million Miler program for more
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 6, 12, 3:37 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
The companion match is not automatic,you must designate the match on the website. It can only be changed on a per calender year basis..not hard t o see why this makes sense.

The match does not survive the sponsors death. I don't recall if it suspends immediately or at the end of the year .....too morbid to check....ok, I did, terminates on death divorce or separation. IRROPs in the form of separation (aka doghouse) are considered 'delayed benefits" and do not impact eligibility.

Of course, the dilemma is Son is getting nothing in that scenario, whereas there is potential for the family to have two 1Ks and two Plats..... but Daughter would get 1K and Spouse stay at Plat.
If I'm reading right Daughter will be Plat for 2013, and Gold for as long as she isCompanion match for Spouse B (regardless of Spouse B status. I don't think the companion status of 1k will allow a next generation companion match of 1k, but who knows? Maybe it's worth waiting to get Spouse B 1K companion cemented before submitting the Daughter Companion designation?

Son will have status of "educated about th power of the Matriarchy"

I thought I remembered this, but just double checked

For 2012

Your children, other family members, friends or co-workers are not eligible for this benefit.
On edit ...rules were changed to allow sponsoring individuals residing at same address as designated by MP account, children no longer excluded

Sorry for chaff

Last edited by LaserSailor; Dec 6, 12 at 4:03 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 6, 12, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
no GPUs (or RPUs) for MM companion unless earned by the companion
Not necessarily true--my wife earned RPU's when I hit Platinum and now that I have hit 1K, she has not received GPU's. Perhaps she should not have been entitled to the RPU's in the first place? There does not seem a definitive answer.
Old Dec 6, 12, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by manhattan92 View Post
Not necessarily true--my wife earned RPU's when I hit Platinum and now that I have hit 1K, she has not received GPU's. Perhaps she should not have been entitled to the RPU's in the first place? There does not seem a definitive answer.
IIRC named companions don't earn any UG instruments unless they actually start getting up to those 75K/100K & above flight levels. So maybe you just got lucky...
Old Dec 6, 12, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
IIRC named companions don't earn any UG instruments unless they actually start getting up to those 75K/100K & above flight levels. So maybe you just got lucky...
We probably did get lucky as you say but where can I find the actual rules that definitively state this? Most people here agree with you and are confident in their statements, but it would be helpful to have a link to the rules-I couldn't find them. Thanks
Old Dec 6, 12, 8:37 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
The link is in the my account area , but you need to be logged in to view.

Nothing explicitly says the companion does not get XPUs, but the language is that the companion "shares" your status...if your companion did get XPUs, I would keep quiet about it.
Old Dec 6, 12, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by manhattan92 View Post
We probably did get lucky as you say but where can I find the actual rules that definitively state this? Most people here agree with you and are confident in their statements, but it would be helpful to have a link to the rules-I couldn't find them. Thanks
See third bullet in this post from UA Insider...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17146346-post1.html
Old Dec 6, 12, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by totmode View Post
See third bullet in this post from UA Insider...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17146346-post1.html
Thank you--that clarifies everything.
Old Dec 28, 12, 3:32 pm

1 MM Miler Companion - do I need to re-nominate the companion every year?

1 MM Miler Companion - do I need to re-nominate the companion every year? Or is United keeping my nomination?
I got the 13 Gold card sent to me – my “companion” did not receive it at the same time.
Old Dec 28, 12, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Lifetime Titanium Elite
I had the same experience. I read the details on mmiler web page and it appears that if you do nothing then your companion will get the card in January
Old Dec 28, 12, 8:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by rs231 View Post
I had the same experience. I read the details on mmiler web page and it appears that if you do nothing then your companion will get the card in January
seem very clear
Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by December 30 of the current year.
Old Dec 31, 12, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Million Mile Companion

Can anyone tell me when my new companion will see their status change? Will it be automatic on the 1st? Other than the "congrats you successfully added your companion" screen neither of us have heard from United.
Old Dec 31, 12, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
When did you request the companion match?
Did you have a previous request in place?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-benefit.html
Old Dec 31, 12, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Had one in place in 2012. Changed it in late November.
Old Dec 31, 12, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Based on the two I just did:
- if they didn't have a companion before, it will reflect right away
- if they did have a companion before, and it's now switched, it will show up 1/1
Old Dec 31, 12, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by flyforever View Post
Had one in place in 2012. Changed it in late November.
as it says on the site and in the T&Cs
You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the
following year. All change requests must be made by December 30 to be effective for the following year.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: