Million Miler companion benefit

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or www.mileageplus.com/thanksamillion

First companion choice section takes place immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.

While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed.

The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

See Million Miler program for more
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 3, 12, 1:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by smcmona;19788480...
So, if Spouse A makes Spouse B (who made Plat for 2013 and will be 1MM in two weeks) the companion, then Spouse B nominates Daughter for companion, will Daughter be 1K or Plat or Gold?
so the basic question is, is the Spouse B's inherited (as Spouse A's MM companion) or earned status used for their MM companion benefit?

Have no idea but would be surprised if the IT folks programmed for this situation -- so this might actually work.
Old Dec 3, 12, 1:24 pm

I missed this as well. Starwoman keeps bugging me for my M+ password so she can annually renew her 2MM companion status when I die -- I guess she doesn't need to worry about that now!
Old Dec 3, 12, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, SPG Platinum
Precisely

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
so the basic question is, is the Spouse B's inherited (as Spouse A's MM companion) or earned status used for their MM companion benefit?

Have no idea but would be surprised if the IT folks programmed for this situation -- so this might actually work.

I guess I'll wait to do the Spouse B nomination until Spouse B is a 1K by nomination and see what happens.
Old Dec 3, 12, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by smcmona View Post
Hello my dear FTr's,

A conundrum of sorts. Spouse A has 1+MM and started year 2012 as Gold. Spouse B has close to 1MM and started 2012 as a Plat. Spouse A began flying again in 2012 and will make 1K this year. Spouse A nominated Daughter for 1MM companion perks which have risen as Spouse A's miles/status has increased, so they now are both Plat, soon to both be 1Ks.

Spouse A wants to keep Daughter as companion , but Spouse B would like to be companion to get the 1K benefit. Spouse B will reach 1MM and get to nominate in the next couple of weeks. So, if Spouse A makes Spouse B (who made Plat for 2013 and will be 1MM in two weeks) the companion, then Spouse B nominates Daughter for companion, will Daughter be 1K or Plat or Gold?

Of course, the dilemma is Son is getting nothing in that scenario, whereas there is potential for the family to have two 1Ks and two Plats..... but Daughter would get 1K and Spouse stay at Plat.

Sincerely,

Spouse B
Originally Posted by smcmona View Post
I guess I'll wait to do the Spouse B nomination until Spouse B is a 1K by nomination and see what happens.
I suspect (but it's only suspicion) that a MM person cannot gift a higher level of status to their companion than their own "natural" status level. So even if they receive higher status as a companion gift from a higher status MM they cannot then "re-gift" that higher level of status. IOW, daughter would get plat status from spouse B even if spouse B previously receives gifted 1K status from spouse A. Again this is only suspicion on my part but it puts a wrinkle in your potential outcomes.

You also have the two children which complicates things because you only have two nominations to use. So if you really want both children to have status both spouses will need to be content with their own natural status level.

Bear in mind that companions receiving gifted 1K status do not get RPUs or GPUs unless they actually fly enough to hit the earning milestones, so the difference between receiving gifted 1K status over gifted Plat status is not as great as it appears.

Also bear in mind that you need to have everything lined up by the end of December (and probably a few days before that just to be safe).
Old Dec 5, 12, 8:42 pm

1K Global Premier Upgrades for Spouse

I am a million-miler who just made 1K status. My spouse automatically also achieved 1K status but unlike me, she did not receive any GPU's.

Is my spouse also entitled to GPU's or is she limited to 1K status and no GPU'S?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 5, 12, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
no GPUs (or RPUs) for MM companion unless earned by the companion
Old Dec 5, 12, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I believe the GPU's are for flying 100,000 miles (or corresponding segments) rather than holding the status. There is no mention on the website of awarding upgrade certificates to status matched customers. Still, crazier things have happened.
Old Dec 5, 12, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Air Houston View Post
Still, crazier things have happened.
Ain't gonna happen!
Spouses of 1k's need to qualify for GPU's & RPU's on their own!
Old Dec 5, 12, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Air Houston View Post
Still, crazier things have happened.
Yep.
Old Dec 5, 12, 9:27 pm

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
Originally Posted by manhattan92 View Post
I am a million-miler who just made 1K status. My spouse automatically also achieved 1K status but......
I don't understand this part. Is it true?
Old Dec 5, 12, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Row3Acer View Post
I don't understand this part. Is it true?
yes, a MM can designation a companion to receive the same status as the MM. (essentially the only benefit an active MM gets)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-benefit.html
Old Dec 5, 12, 9:40 pm

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
yes, a MM can designation a companion to receive the same status as the MM.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-benefit.html
Thanks, good to know....
Old Dec 5, 12, 10:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Much the same as 1K's for life who, unless they fly 100k miles don't get the GPU's either.
Old Dec 5, 12, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Markie View Post
Much the same as 1K's for life who, unless they fly 100k miles don't get the GPU's either.
thought Lifetime status folks did receive RPUs/GPUs if not earned by actual PQM activity

Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi SFO_FT, just to confirm, the information that was shared back in September is correct. Specifically, 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of each year unless they were already earned by reaching the 100K PQM threshold. Similarly, 2 Million Miles will receive 2 RPUs each year, unless already earned by reaching the 75K PQM threshold. (I should add the disclaimer that when I say each year, this could change in future years.)

Shannon
Old Dec 5, 12, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
thought Lifetime status folks did receive RPUs/GPUs if not earned by actual PQM activity
If you're there from MM status, yes, if you're one of the infinite elites who got converted to lifetime 1K, no.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: