Million Miler companion benefit

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:40 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or www.mileageplus.com/thanksamillion

First companion choice section takes place immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.

While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed.

The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

See Million Miler program for more
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 24, 12, 6:09 pm
  #196  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Posts: 455
Originally Posted by J-H View Post
Hi everyone!

I just designated Mrs. J-H as MM companion (I missed the Mar deadline so did it today when the MM companion link seems to have been fixed). Does anyone know what the timing is for her to receive her new 1P card? Seems like the pre-PSS integration designated MM companion cards were shipped Fedex, but I somehow doubt this is the case now. I was 1K for 8 years and never received the 1K card Fedex.

Also, since wife is also 1P (Premier Gold, I guess it the 1P replacement) - does this mean that if I book a single reservation with four people (wife plus two kids), would we all go to the UDU Q automatically? The website seems to indicate that you need to separate the reservation in to two separate ones...

Any help appreciated. Many thanks!
Yes, but watch out for the PNR splitting. You can end up with you and your wife in first and your kids in coach.
demosthenes1 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 12, 7:36 am
  #197  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NC
Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Posts: 9,954
Interested to know how easy it was for people to nominate a SO...seems like there is room for people to invite a friend and simply change their MP address to the same address. Could this crowd the 1K field if 1Ks are doing this?
SkyTeam777 is offline  
Old Sep 4, 12, 7:42 am
  #198  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: SPI
Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Posts: 18,145
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
seems like there is room for people to invite a friend and simply change their MP address to the same address.
Anyone who wasn't concerned about the risk of MP audit could surely do this.
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Could this crowd the 1K field if 1Ks are doing this?
Not IMO. There simply aren't enough folks out there interested in such a thing to make up for the inevitable annual shuffle of those who make it, those who miss it, those who leave, those who are new to the ranks, and so on and so forth.

Dave
bseller is offline  
Old Sep 4, 12, 7:53 am
  #199  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Colorado
Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 1,261
Well my wife is doing her best to make sure this does't happen. Even as a 1K on United she has taken a dozen Southwest flights and none on United.
bldr1k is offline  
Old Sep 13, 12, 3:56 pm
  #200  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, SPG Plat50, HHonors Gold
Posts: 120
Does anyone have any recent data points about how long it takes to go in effect?
Aspirant is offline  
Old Sep 13, 12, 4:58 pm
  #201  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SFO/DXB/BOS
Programs: UA GS *G
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by Aspirant View Post
Does anyone have any recent data points about how long it takes to go in effect?
Being activated as someone's MM companion? Its instantly reflected in their online account, the MM flyer will get a confirmation email notifying them its been done, and your companion should receive their new credentials within 3 weeks.
smichelm is offline  
Old Oct 2, 12, 10:14 pm
  #202  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,933
My wife is a 1K due to my status and the fact that I nominated her for that level. The rules state that in order to receive Premier level status a MP member MUST fly at least 4 flights per calander year. She's got 2 under her belt and she is flying LAS-LAX on a 4 hour r/t MR in a few weeks cause I ain't askin' for no favors or takin' no durn chances! I would suggest that anyone expecting UA to grant any special dispensations is asking for something that may or may not be granted, and all the expert advise on these threads, ain't gonna make no-never-mind come 1/1/2013!

LilAbner, Esq.
LilAbner is offline  
Old Oct 2, 12, 10:20 pm
  #203  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 50,577
Originally Posted by LilAbner View Post
My wife is a 1K due to my status and the fact that I nominated her for that level. The rules state that in order to receive Premier level status a MP member MUST fly at least 4 flights per calander year. She's got 2 under her belt and she is flying LAS-LAX on a 4 hour r/t MR in a few weeks cause I ain't askin' for no favors or takin' no durn chances! I would suggest that anyone expecting UA to grant any special dispensations is asking for something that may or may not be granted, and all the expert advise on these threads, ain't gonna make no-never-mind come 1/1/2013!

LilAbner, Esq.
If you are speculating that a MM companion needs to fly 4 segments to maintain status, I believe that is not correct. The companion is renominated to the elite's status annually and the nomination does not require any flight history.

Plus this posting is very OT for this thread.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 3, 12 at 12:18 am Reason: OT comment remove since posting were moved
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Oct 2, 12, 11:31 pm
  #204  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Syd
Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Posts: 875
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Plus this posting is very OT for this thread.
The thread is IMHO "I'm xxx short of this status... will UA just comp it?"
Previous to this year there was never a requirement for UA segments and thus no threads... now there is and I would track it just the same...

I'm also sorta interested in knowing as reading some of the terms and conditions it does appear that if i'm a MM i do need to fly a minimum of 4 flights a year to keep status....
LordTentacle is offline  
Old Oct 3, 12, 5:37 am
  #205  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,150
Originally Posted by LordTentacle View Post
The thread is IMHO "I'm xxx short of this status... will UA just comp it?"
Previous to this year there was never a requirement for UA segments and thus no threads... now there is and I would track it just the same...

I'm also sorta interested in knowing as reading some of the terms and conditions it does appear that if i'm a MM i do need to fly a minimum of 4 flights a year to keep status....
I'm sure UA loves people who misunderstand rules to UA's benefit. If you achieve MM status, there are no further minimum flying requirements. You have already fulfilled the requirements for this particular benefit (ie 1MM+ miles). You don't have to re-qualify each year with 4 segments. It's a lifetime benefit granted at the required mileage achievement. The only further requirement is to breathe, although there's probably nothing preventing SO from continuing to enjoy benefit post your demise (other than sense of honesty).
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Oct 3, 12, 6:01 am
  #206  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dubai / NYC
Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Posts: 5,220
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Interested to know how easy it was for people to nominate a SO...seems like there is room for people to invite a friend and simply change their MP address to the same address. Could this crowd the 1K field if 1Ks are doing this?
So what??? Are you saying those that are not married deserve nothing? That's UA's problem for coming up with this ridiculous benefit that besides being worthless to a lot of people is also discrimitory.

I wouldn't take the chance myself but only cuz I have a GF that does not need it. If I didn't, who knows. I deserve the same benefits as everyone else!!!

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I'm sure UA loves people who misunderstand rules to UA's benefit. If you achieve MM status, there are no further minimum flying requirements. You have already fulfilled the requirements for this particular benefit (ie 1MM+ miles). You don't have to re-qualify each year with 4 segments. It's a lifetime benefit granted at the required mileage achievement. The only further requirement is to breathe, although there's probably nothing preventing SO from continuing to enjoy benefit post your demise (other than sense of honesty).
Did you really say the word "lifetime"?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 3, 12 at 7:52 am Reason: merge
chinatraderjmr is offline  
Old Oct 3, 12, 6:29 am
  #207  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,933
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
If you are speculating that a MM companion needs to fly 4 segments to maintain status, I believe that is not correct. The companion is renominated to the elite's status annually and the nomination does not require any flight history.

Plus this posting is very OT for this thread.
The mod moved my post and I thank you for your observation that I was VERY OT. I will do my penance right after I have my morning coffee!

I said --- I ain't taking any chances, and my wife will fly one MR just in case she needs 4 flights. Perhaps, if you would be so kind, may I request from you the written rule that she doesn't need 4 flights to maintain her 1k status.
LilAbner is offline  
Old Oct 3, 12, 9:00 am
  #208  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SFO and OAK
Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Posts: 2,240
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
So what??? Are you saying those that are not married deserve nothing? That's UA's problem for coming up with this ridiculous benefit that besides being worthless to a lot of people is also discrimitory.

I wouldn't take the chance myself but only cuz I have a GF that does not need it. If I didn't, who knows. I deserve the same benefits as everyone else!!!
I'm not understanding the idea that married people are getting some increased benefit to the detriment of non-married people. There are plenty of couples where both are the same status (1k for example) so this benefit means nothing. Its not disciminatory. It is worthless to a lot of people. Its also not ridiculous. If you don't play the zero sum game many are wrapped up in you can see this as a nice perk if you can benefit from it or a throwaway benefit if you can't.
Beerman92 is offline  
Old Oct 3, 12, 9:43 am
  #209  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,933
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
I'm sure UA loves people who misunderstand rules to UA's benefit. If you achieve MM status, there are no further minimum flying requirements. You have already fulfilled the requirements for this particular benefit (ie 1MM+ miles). You don't have to re-qualify each year with 4 segments. It's a lifetime benefit granted at the required mileage achievement. The only further requirement is to breathe, although there's probably nothing preventing SO from continuing to enjoy benefit post your demise (other than sense of honesty).
1. Once the 1K dies his ability to nominate a spouse or SO obviously also dies, beginning 1/1 or 1/31 of the following year.

2. "The MileagePlus Million Miler program and the Premier program are extensions of the MileagePlus frequent flyer program. All MileagePlus terms and conditions apply".

3. "Also, beginning January 1, 2012, to qualify for ANY Premier level, members must fly at least four paid flights on United or Copa during a calendar year".


I'm not trying to get anyone to go along with my theory/concern's, and I'm probably 100% wrong, but until I see anything in black & white that a nominee to 1K doesn't need to fly on 4 different flight #'s, the Lil Woman is doing MR's to get 4 flights in her Mp account this year. Obviously one needs to fly 100,000 miles per year, until they reach 3 MM's, in order to be 1K for each year.

If someone would be so kind as to post the exact rule as to how one maintains their spouses status --- Namely Premier status as a nominee and any additional flight (4) requirements, I would appreciate it. I am not going to surmise or believe anything that may be inferred until I see it in print, from UA MP, and Mrs. Lil Abner is doing a LAS-LAX r/t MR just to play it safe! Total cost to gett-er dun in two weeks--- One Black chip, Two Red's, and Three White's!
LilAbner is offline  
Old Oct 4, 12, 12:59 am
  #210  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dubai / NYC
Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Posts: 5,220
Originally Posted by LilAbner View Post
1. Once the 1K dies his ability to nominate a spouse or SO obviously also dies, beginning 1/1 or 1/31 of the following year.

2. "The MileagePlus Million Miler program and the Premier program are extensions of the MileagePlus frequent flyer program. All MileagePlus terms and conditions apply".

3. "Also, beginning January 1, 2012, to qualify for ANY Premier level, members must fly at least four paid flights on United or Copa during a calendar year".


I'm not trying to get anyone to go along with my theory/concern's, and I'm probably 100% wrong, but until I see anything in black & white that a nominee to 1K doesn't need to fly on 4 different flight #'s, the Lil Woman is doing MR's to get 4 flights in her Mp account this year. Obviously one needs to fly 100,000 miles per year, until they reach 3 MM's, in order to be 1K for each year.

If someone would be so kind as to post the exact rule as to how one maintains their spouses status --- Namely Premier status as a nominee and any additional flight (4) requirements, I would appreciate it. I am not going to surmise or believe anything that may be inferred until I see it in print, from UA MP, and Mrs. Lil Abner is doing a LAS-LAX r/t MR just to play it safe! Total cost to gett-er dun in two weeks--- One Black chip, Two Red's, and Three White's!
Hay there L.A. How ya doing?

Your concern does not really make sense. Heres why. You can nominate your significant other now & he/she gets a 1P/2P,1K,GS card good thru end of year. S(he) can be a new member w 0 miles. At the end of the year (and once every year) you can change your companion & they can also have NO activity. The MM benefit gives your CURRENT status to your wife or whoever (in your case 1K) but if you NEVER fly again after this year as a 2MM you get Plat for life. You never have to fly again but keep that plat status as does your significant other. They are clear that depending on your mm status, you & 1 other get a lifetime Elite status w no flying necessary
chinatraderjmr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: