Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Archive thread: Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by eightblack
Mine worked. I nominated my 19 year old daughter (who sadly still lives with me!) and it processed 1/1/23...
That's why it works - with the same, and in this case, valid address. Otherwise, yes, sadly.

David
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by ChiCityFlyer
Did united process million miler companion changes for 2023 yet? My dad called on Nov 30th ‘22 to change his companion to me, and they said it’d get updated first week of Jan but I still don’t see the status on my account.

Should I try calling in?
Yes, they're processed. I changed my companion before Dec 1 and the their status updated 1/1/23. If your status isn't updated then your dad may have entered something wrong (wrong address, wrong MP#?). Your dad will have to call United and see what can be done. Technically no changes are allowed until the end of the year now.

-RM
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:42 pm

Change your Million Miler companion

Hey everyone, I need to change my MMC due to a family issue. I know it's not Nov 30th or before (for 2024). I'm wondering if anyone has had success calling 1K Mileage Plus and begging them to do this right now, effective immediately, instead of waiting until the end of the year? Any advice as to what to say, hugely appreciated.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by CirrusPilot32
Hey everyone, I need to change my MMC due to a family issue. I know it's not Nov 30th or before (for 2024). I'm wondering if anyone has had success calling 1K Mileage Plus and begging them to do this right now, effective immediately, instead of waiting until the end of the year? Any advice as to what to say, hugely appreciated.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I would n😵‍💫t expect success when making such a request. United has been pretty strict about only having a brief change window available each year. I wonder what you're really after here, though - is it taking someone off as a companion or swapping to someone new. If it's taking someone off, they may just do that if you're the sponsor. It never hurts to ask -- the worst that can happen is that they say no.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by CirrusPilot32
History and experience suggest that they will not make this change outside of the normal nomination process.
However, as suggested above, if your current companion's status expires in some way, you may be able to then nominate a new companion.
As stated in the Million Miler rules:

"Companion benefits are available on an annual, not lifetime, basis. Companion benefits expire upon the death of the Million Miler or failure of the companion to meet the eligibility requirements set forth below, including, but not limited to, death, divorce or separation."

It is my guess that they will only honor the normal nomination process even if eligibility of the current companion expires, but that is only a guess.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA - MM/Lifetime Gold
Premier Gold What month can I change the person I added to my Premier Gold Status

I can't recall when I able to change the person I added to my Premier Gold account. I thought it was in the far of the year for the next year? Any idea?
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dornec
I can't recall when I able to change the person I added to my Premier Gold account. I thought it was in the far of the year for the next year? Any idea?
Your FT profile shows you as a UA MMer, 1MM? And you are asking about changing your MM companion?

A new MM companion, if you have never selected one, can be designated anytime.

Changing an existing MM companion to a different person must be requested in November and it takes effect 1 January.

The MM Compnion will have the same Premier status as you.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: UA - MM/Lifetime Gold
Thanks
That's what I was looking for. I had kept the same person for several years and had forgotten about it. But, this coming year, I'll want to change the designated person, and couldn't remember when and how to do it. I assume I can change it any time before November 30 and it will go into effect in January 24? Also, can I do this myself online [id so where do i find it] or do I need to call United?
Old Mar 9, 2023, 10:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
..... I assume I can change it any time before November 30 and it will go into effect in January 24? Also, can I do this myself online [id so where do i find it] or do I need to call United?
Traditionally, you could submit the change anytime but iIn 2022, folks were not able to enter the new companion until later in the year, early October?, but you can try now. Please report back iif it works now.
www.united.com/MMcompanion
SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Thanks
That's what I was looking for. I had kept the same person for several years and had forgotten about it. But, this coming year, I'll want to change the designated person, and couldn't remember when and how to do it. I assume I can change it any time before November 30 and it will go into effect in January 24? Also, can I do this myself online [id so where do i find it] or do I need to call United?
MM information
You can get that here. Read about qualifications since it appears United may now be enforcing them.
Counsellor likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:49 am

Programs: 1MM UA Gold
Hi all,

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I'll be registering my wife as my 1M mile companion with gold in a few weeks and have a question..Once done, does that mean we'll both be added to upgrade lists, rather than splitting the PNR to add just me?

I've generally declined the split because I don't want to deal with separate records if there are delays or cancellation, but it would be nice to have the opportunity (though I realize as gold we'll rarely get upgrades).
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theise
Hi all,

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I'll be registering my wife as my 1M mile companion with gold in a few weeks and have a question..Once done, does that mean we'll both be added to upgrade lists, rather than splitting the PNR to add just me?

I've generally declined the split because I don't want to deal with separate records if there are delays or cancellation, but it would be nice to have the opportunity (though I realize as gold we'll rarely get upgrades).
Nothing will change for CPU split record except that after splitting your companion will have full Gold status instead of being subject to the buggy handling of priority inherited through the record.

These days I don't find having a split record too much a downside in IRROPS. Agents (good ones, at least) can quickly see and work on both.
theise likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 9:00 am

Programs: 1MM UA Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Nothing will change for CPU split record except that after splitting your companion will have full Gold status instead of being subject to the buggy handling of priority inherited through the record.

These days I don't find having a split record too much a downside in IRROPS. Agents (good ones, at least) can quickly see and work on both.
Ah, this makes sense. Thanks!
Old May 12, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Just curious how this would work. I am close to attaining million miler status and currently have 1K status. I believe this means I could designate someone at my address as my companion. This companion currently has gold status but is also a million miller, with their own companion. Will my companion's companion end up with my 1K status, as well, since it's linked to the status of my companion?
Old May 12, 2023, 4:42 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by goldelite8
Just curious how this would work. I am close to attaining million miler status and currently have 1K status. I believe this means I could designate someone at my address as my companion. This companion currently has gold status but is also a million miller, with their own companion. Will my companion's companion end up with my 1K status, as well, since it's linked to the status of my companion?
Yes! be very very quiet abd it'll stay that way :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.