FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Crew Integration Timeline? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1292347-crew-integration-timeline.html)

SEA1K4EVR Dec 17, 2011 10:49 am

Crew Integration Timeline?

Now that there is a single operating certificate, when can we expect to see a blending of pilot and FA crews? Obviously there will be no need for blending for 737, 747, A319/320 pilots..but there could be for 757/767/777 pilots. And what about the FA's? When will I see a familiar looking UA face working on PMCO plane?

Allan38103 Dec 17, 2011 11:03 am

Chances are you will see integration of FA's before you see pilots.

This is because flight attendants are trained to work all types of equipment but pilots are only rated for the specific plane they currently fly.

mahasamatman Dec 17, 2011 11:07 am

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR (Post 17644933)
Now that there is a single operating certificate

Was I just snoozing? When did that happen?

WineCountryUA Dec 17, 2011 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Allan38103 (Post 17645001)
... This is because flight attendants are trained to work all types of equipment ....

It is my understanding there are procedural differences that FAs will need to be cross trained for, so those need to be resolved before FA crews can be integrated.

sbm12 Dec 17, 2011 11:13 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 17645023)
Was I just snoozing?

Apparently. ;)

When did that happen?

Couple weeks ago.

But there is a very significant difference between SoC and an integrated union schedule, both in terms of seniority and cross-fleeting. It is going to be a while.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 17645026)
It is my understanding there are procedural differences that FAs will need to be cross trained for, so those need to be resolved before FA crews can be integrated.

I believe that the procedural differences were supposed to mostly be resolved with the SoC. All the checklists and such are supposed to be the same on-board.

There are still plenty of areas where there are differences, from fuel load planning to dispatch processes, but on-board I think everything is supposed to be the same. That's a requirement for the SoC as I understand it.

WineCountryUA Dec 17, 2011 11:16 am

Was I just snoozing? When did that happen?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ted-title.html

FortFun Dec 17, 2011 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Allan38103 (Post 17645001)
Chances are you will see integration of FA's before you see pilots.

This is because flight attendants are trained to work all types of equipment but pilots are only rated for the specific plane they currently fly.

It was my understanding that either integration requires joint contracts, which are not (perhaps remotely) imminent. Not pretending to be up on the latest though, so could be wrong.

(InsertUsername) Dec 17, 2011 1:32 pm

Don't hold your breath. USAir/America West crews still haven't integrated…

astroflyer Dec 17, 2011 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by (InsertUsername) (Post 17645775)
Don't hold your breath. USAir/America West crews still haven't integrated…

Really? How does that work!?

JOSECONLSCREW28 Dec 17, 2011 3:38 pm

The inflight crews won't be integrated and won't be working each others aircraft for a quite a while, I wanna say a couple years from now. For example when April comes and you see alot of CO aircraft on UA routes, and UA aircraft on CO routes it will have the pre-merger crews working them. For instance you have a CO 738 flying IAD-LAX, I can imagine the pairing will be EWR-IAD-LAX layover, LAX-IAD-EWR or something like that. A PMUA aircraft flying EWR-SAN for example the crew will probably go IAD-EWR-SAN layover SAN-EWR-IAD etc. PMUA FA's haven't even been trained on PMCO aircraft, however PMCO FA's have been trained on PMUA 747 and A319/A320 aircraft. Interestingly enough the 1200 or so FA's the airline is hiring over the next year are actually gonna be working on the CO side of the operation (will either be based in EWR, IAH OR CLE) and will be working off of CO'S IAM contract. Another interesting thing is that the new hires are actually making more money than the most junior FA's at UA. UA may pay more an hour for it's junior FA's, but CO FA's are guaranteed more hours. CO 83 hours vs UA 75 hours.

halls120 Dec 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by astroflyer (Post 17645793)

not very well, according to a pilot for US Air East I went to school with.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 (Post 17646316)
Interestingly enough the 1200 or so FA's the airline is hiring over the next year are actually gonna be working on the CO side of the operation (will either be based in EWR, IAH OR CLE) and will be working off of CO'S IAM contract. Another interesting thing is that the new hires are actually making more money than the most junior FA's at UA. UA may pay more an hour for it's junior FA's, but CO FA's are guaranteed more hours. CO 83 hours vs UA 75 hours.

I'm sure that is going to promote labor peace and smooth integration. :rolleyes:

sbm12 Dec 17, 2011 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by astroflyer (Post 17645793)

They still each only fly their pre-merger metal. It is an enormous mess. The fact that the airline has remained in operation and even had occasional profits is a pretty impressive testament to "Douggie" and his ability to make even that mess come out reasonably successful.

Dr_Adventure Dec 17, 2011 9:18 pm

The inflight crews won't be integrated and won't be working each others aircraft for a quite a while, I wanna say a couple years from now. For example when April comes and you see alot of CO aircraft on UA routes, and UA aircraft on CO routes it will have the pre-merger crews working them. For instance you have a CO 738 flying IAD-LAX, I can imagine the pairing will be EWR-IAD-LAX layover, LAX-IAD-EWR or something like that. A PMUA aircraft flying EWR-SAN for example the crew will probably go IAD-EWR-SAN layover SAN-EWR-IAD etc. PMUA FA's haven't even been trained on PMCO aircraft, however PMCO FA's have been trained on PMUA 747 and A319/A320 aircraft. Interestingly enough the 1200 or so FA's the airline is hiring over the next year are actually gonna be working on the CO side of the operation (will either be based in EWR, IAH OR CLE) and will be working off of CO'S IAM contract. Another interesting thing is that the new hires are actually making more money than the most junior FA's at UA. UA may pay more an hour for it's junior FA's, but CO FA's are guaranteed more hours. CO 83 hours vs UA 75 hours.

Isn't this mostly because the new airline is really CO doing business as UA?

danville 1K Dec 17, 2011 10:10 pm

Interestingly enough the 1200 or so FA's the airline is hiring over the next year are actually gonna be working on the CO side of the operation (will either be based in EWR, IAH OR CLE) and will be working off of CO'S IAM contract.

A major bone of contention with the PMUA flight attendants, given the number of furloughed PMUA flight attendants out there. I'd say it'll be a long, long time before the two FA groups work smoothly together.

sbm12 Dec 18, 2011 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Dr_Adventure (Post 17647538)
Isn't this mostly because the new airline is really CO doing business as UA?

:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by danville 1K (Post 17647732)
A major bone of contention with the PMUA flight attendants, given the number of furloughed PMUA flight attendants out there. I'd say it'll be a long, long time before the two FA groups work smoothly together.

The PMUA FAs had the option to get cross-trained and work under the PMCO rules on the PMCO metal and turned it down. Take that for what its worth.