Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dear United: Welcome to competition (DL's new hub at LGA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear United: Welcome to competition (DL's new hub at LGA)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
A person in northern or central N.J. or Rockland County would not find LGA convenient, just as one from CT, Westchester, and L.I. would find EWR highly unpalatable.
Yup. It is really not the distance or increased cost (bridge tolls/parking) but the huge overall hassle. The only way I will consider LGA is an early am departing flight or a late pm arriving flight. Otherwise the traffic can be murderous.

Originally Posted by as219
I for one welcome the competition at LGA.
Agreed - but *A flyers could be losing something too. US flights earn EQM's and RDM's for UACO elites; so reduced LGA flights might mean less overall *A earning opportunities for basic point to point travel, and constructing potential mileage runs.

SunLover
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
This is a terrific development. N.Y. is big enough for two hub carriers competing head-to-head, at the same time EWR and LGA serve altogether different markets that don't compete with each other. This is not a contradiction. A person in northern or central N.J. or Rockland County would not find LGA convenient, just as one from CT, Westchester, and L.I. would find EWR highly unpalatable. But there will be tremendous competition for the Manhattan traffic. I still remember those nasty DL versus CO subway ads when they were ST partners.

Overall, EWR is an efficient hub, but it is Newark. LGA is more convenient from Manhattan (I hate the Lincoln/Holland Tunnels, and the Amtrak-AirTrain setup is not as convenient as LIRR/E/A-AirTrain to JFK). But DL will essentially be operating a two-airport hub, which is a tremendous disadvantage. In time, routes and frequencies will be adjusted, but I see both airlines at their respective airports for the long run.
Not quite sure I agree. In the 2.5 years I endured living in Westchester (In a festering hellhole named Irvington...) , EWR was easily the most convenient airport. LGA was closer, but with traffic, it was never less than 45 minutes, although usually closer to 90 minutes, and with no int'l or t-con flights. JFK was easily 90 minutes, even without heavy traffic, thanks to the Van Wyck, and was only worth it for international trips. EWR was never more than 60-70 minutes.

Honestly, all NYC airports are awful, but EWR sucks the least, hence why I was a CO elite.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by brendog
... In a festering hellhole named Irvington...
You were by the Tappan Zee, which makes quite a difference. You could see Rockland from there. No other place in Westchester could beat your old place in terms of accessibility to Newark.

I'll add that the availability of nonstop destinations also adds to the perception of convenience. LGA will never be able to match EWR because of the Perimeter Rule (no further west than SLC, PHX?). That's why the LGA-JFK duo is such a disadvantage, because one would have to mind themselves which airport to go to. But there is an ingrained culture among some New Yorkers that EWR is not a New York airport. This probably started with Mayor Fiorello La Guardia who once famously refused to get off the plane in EWR, saying that his ticket said "New York." I guess that's why they ended up naming the airport after him.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
DL already spanks UA on product and quality. DL's RJs have tons of first class, glassware and mugs in F. An FA on Republic told me they serve hot meals on the delta ERJ-170s?

In any case, DL's aircraft are far superior choices while CO is stuffing people into turbo-props, Single Class RJs for 1,200 miles and 737s in the Pacific. UA is losing to DL already and as UA races to the bottom with bad coffee, gauze blankets and surly octogenarians tossing slop at you, UA will retreat even futher.
I have been thinking about this. Got matched to DL late last year but still did my main flying on CO/UA. It seemed DL tend to use larger aircraft (thus more supply and better pricing - at least in certain regions) and has better service in Y. UA/CO's F meal, at least on mainline, seems to be still better than DL though.

Still, with the horrible redemption on SkyMiles and no Y+ (at least yet), UA still works better for me.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
DL is Not a Low Cost Carrier..So dont expect to see alot of cheap fares other than matching those already flown by LCC out of LGA..I see this move as more of a threat to AA/B6..Im sticking with UA..^
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1.4MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by channa
While CO has been busy yanking the tray linens off UA, removing pillows and covertly hiding blankets to save a penny or two, DL has retained blankets and pillows on each seat, added back tray linens to their service, and revamped their meals with a modern appearance with new china, funky new glassware, and new trays.
The first time I noticed the missing linen, I thought it was a one-time thing or maybe because I was having breakfast.

Then it happened again. And again. That's when I knew it was no accident or coincident; it was CO.

No linen definitely equals and inferior product in my opinion.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1.4MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pigx5
While UA serves snack box in F on RJ and CO serves beverages on RJ, Delta gives MEALs to their F passengers. (Yes yes...I know people will say it is just airline food.... )
Not me! I agree with you! ^

First, I applauded UA when they added E+ and First Class seating to RJs. Post 9/11, UA was very agressive in replacing mainline service with RJ service. No problem, I understood that.

Today, RJs are flying these long routes (3+ hours!!!) and you expect me to be coformtable in First Class with that snack box on such a flight? No way!

As a result, my threshold for an RJ flight is 1.5 hours. You can serve all the pre-packaged snackboxes all you want on those flights, as long as I have my red wine. But if it's going to be longer than 1.5 hours, give me a real meal and then I'll change my attitude towards those long RJ flights.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
LGA is all about getting and keeping corporate accounts.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
DL already spanks UA on product and quality. DL's RJs have tons of first class, glassware and mugs in F. An FA on Republic told me they serve hot meals on the delta ERJ-170s?
Spank? DL blows UA/CO out of the water on product quality.
Thank you both for this. I flew a couple hundred hours (~75K BIS miles) on *A, once in UA F TATL, a few CO BF trips, and a handful of UA/CO domestic F, and none of them were as pleasant as what you describe on DL.

UA/*A is our corporate preferred airline/alliance but DL/SkyTeam is 2nd. I have a new project in Liverpool which would be better served by SkyTeam, and it sounds like I should check them out.

The thought of an airline that might actually try to make five work weeks worth of flying not feel so much like work is very appealing.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage, CO OnePass, DL SkyMiles, JetBlue TrueBlue, UA MileagePlus
Honestly, I hope DL's LGA expansion forces UA/CO to lower fares a little. I'm a CO fan and EWR is cool, but man their fares are brutal.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA-MP S, DL-PM, HHonors D, SPG Gold, Fairmont PC
Originally Posted by nuspieds
Not me! I agree with you! ^

First, I applauded UA when they added E+ and First Class seating to RJs. Post 9/11, UA was very agressive in replacing mainline service with RJ service. No problem, I understood that.

Today, RJs are flying these long routes (3+ hours!!!) and you expect me to be coformtable in First Class with that snack box on such a flight? No way!

As a result, my threshold for an RJ flight is 1.5 hours. You can serve all the pre-packaged snackboxes all you want on those flights, as long as I have my red wine. But if it's going to be longer than 1.5 hours, give me a real meal and then I'll change my attitude towards those long RJ flights.
Yes, I recently enjoyed F from DFW to the West Coast on a RJ. Nothing shorting of a tragedy in contrast to DL. The CR7 was dirty for one, despite a 6pm departure no meal service on a 3+ hr flight, no wi-fi, no IFE, but the worst was that the entire plane had 2 blankets and 2 pillows - not even enough for all the passengers in F...and while shivering all the way to LAX, I vowed never again. Next flight is on VA...
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
I have to do RDU-MSP in July. As of today, DL has NF (or whatever they call it) on many of their NONSTOPs. UA has zilch + I have to connect, so would spend one extra night in MSP.

Looks like I'll be booking DL next week.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
Delta all but withdraws from DCA and turns NEW YORK into a Delta Fortess with Major INTL hubs and Domestic hubs it is a strategy for the ages having LGA and JFK as hubs and makes for tough competition.
This is a point that should not be understated. DL has separate domestic and international hubs in NYC with no help or even interline baggage between them. UACO has one hub for NYC.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mduell
This is a point that should not be understated. DL has separate domestic and international hubs in NYC with no help or even interline baggage between them. UACO has one hub for NYC.

DL has quite a bit of domestic feed at JFK.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold

DL has quite a bit of domestic feed at JFK.
The "bit" at JFK is in no way comparable to this expanded operation at LGA. To wit -
ZHU-JFK: 1x daily CRJ
ZHU-LGA: to be 4x daily

Guess which scheduling is easier to line up with international JFK connections?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.