Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Speculation: elite inflation in 2012 due to Elite Maximizer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR

While FT represents a tiny minority of the flying public, including elites, just about anyone who is at 43k or 72k or 98k (etc.) EQMs is going to be buying Elite Maximizer miles this year.

With this in mind, we should see somewhat swelled ranks of elites in 2012, since customers can effectively buy their way in. In the past, being short a few thousand EQMs required a mileage run or a history of high revenue tickets to overcome. Most non-FT elites won't do a mileage run.

What will be the effects of this? Normally, I expect the herd to get thinned out in March. For example, CO Elite boarding becomes noticeably thinner since there aren't two programme years' worth of elites pre-boarding.

Conversely, I didn't notice much change at US when they basically started offering anything for sale. Trial Preferred, full fledged Preferred, miles, whatever.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
If someone did not make their status by flying rather by buying it then I do not consider them as competition. What are their chances of flying more the following year compared to the current year? Slim.

I suggest UA sell status to these kinds of travelers as they can make money off them and not have to deliver any services towards it.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Any effect will be immeasurably small.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I used it to reach 1K about a week earlier than I would have. Probably an impulse buy. lol
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Any effect will be immeasurably small.
I agree. If they didn't travel significantly this year and relied on the Maximizer, it's unlikely they'd be consuming that many benefits next year...because they're probably an equally infrequent flier.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I understand there are 800,000 elites. This thread has less than a 100 views.
/
Do the math. So tiny as to be immeasurable.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
Originally Posted by Boogie711
I understand there are 800,000 elites.
Source?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:31 pm

Elite Maximizer is not exactly a cheap alternative. As many threads have pointed out its about ~$1300 for 20k EQM/RDM's. I don't think you will find many people who will shell out thousands to buy thousands of miles.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by nova08
Elite Maximizer is not exactly a cheap alternative. As many threads have pointed out its about ~$1300 for 20k EQM/RDM's. I don't think you will find many people who will shell out thousands to buy thousands of miles.
Not right now....try $2350 for 20k...seriously doubt many Kettle's will be dropping that kind of change
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife
Source?
for 2004, it was reported UA had 800K+ elites -- no reports since then but even before the merger, it is doubtful the number has decreased
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by TommyC80
Not right now....try $2350 for 20k...seriously doubt many Kettle's will be dropping that kind of change
if i were a kettle and only flew once a year, i'd save that cash and drop it all on a paid F ticket! F ticket essentially == elite for that trip
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:25 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
  • Buying elite maximizer is relatively unknown

• Even more unknown is the fact that you could book a ticket, buy the maximizer miles, refund the ticket within 24 hours and keep the maximizer miles (paying only for the maximizer miles)

• Rarer still would be people willing to pay more (sometimes much more) for the EQMs than it would cost to fly to get them.

As others have pointed out, FTers are not representative of the general flying public. We're not eve representative of elites.

So no, I don't see elite maximizer as swelling the ranks of elites. I think the bigger effect will be from the extended 2011 elite year, although even that may be overstated as the vast majority of travel during winter is business, not leisure, and it's the leisure ranks that have the greatest flexibility in travel, such that they will swarm like moths to a flame when conditions are right. Biz travel likely shows slower upward & downward trends.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:29 pm

Next year I am going to buy them in January when they are cheaper...

If I can get 15,000 EQM for $1,000, I'll take it.

Less stress at the end of the year.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Meh, elite maximizer is not an economical way to accrue miles except in cases where you're a very small number of miles short. Why spend $2k+ for 20k miles when you could actually travel somewhere interesting for the same price?

It just replaces what used to be a customer service "You're almost there so we'll bump you to the next tier" with "Hey, if it's really important to us, you'll give us an extra $100."
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Elite Maximizer has got to be the most expensive way to attain status. I'd be more concerned about the "Status Matchers" and "Mileage Runners" swelling the elite ranks than these seldom few.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.