Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
DEQM on AA thru 1/31- Will UA/CO match?

http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...oryId=16384981

Anywhere to anywhere.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:58 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA USA UA Premier Plat , 1.24MM, AA EXP
It would be great if UA matched and would even motivate me to take a last series of flights this year to requalify for 1K. But, with this new management at UA, I'm not expecting UA to match the AA offer.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:07 pm
Suspended

just got the email myself, AA was nice all tkts no matter when purchased and all fares

Dont know how UA cant match unless their planes are pretty full thru 1/31. The main question is if UA matches will it be Worldwide on All UA flights or only to the same destinations that AA flys to. already have 1 tkt for 6800+ eqms x2 would be very sweet.

Was thinking of running to SIN late Jan or Feb would be a slam dunk an all Jan tkt if UA matches, otherwise I guess HNL will have to do if only to where AA flys. No match then I'll stay grounded besides that 1 trip
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat
Fingers crossed

I really hope they match. That might push me into making a few end of year trips I was going push into 2012.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:09 pm

I would DEFINITELY buy some tickets in January. I somehow doubt that UA is going to match though, or if they do it will be W fares and up.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wcalvert
I somehow doubt that UA is going to match though, or if they do it will be W fares and up.
that would be a mistake , since the reason for matching would be to prevent people from giving the $$ to AA. And once you get some serious EQMs on AA it just might keep some folks there till they hit whatever Elite Level they want to = additional $$ UA wont get its hands on

A person can make a serious dent towards Exec Plat

But as I already said if UA loads thru 1/31 is very strong then they wont have much to lose by not matching, if its sort of weak i cant see how UA can sit it out
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I am going to throw down the first NO vote. AA is different from UA. Though it is tempting to follow, UA doesn't have the same infrastructure or need to support this.

If UA was creative, maybe they would offer something to help bring people from 2P to 1P, since it seems that the 2Ps got hit the worst with the MP changes. However, selfishly, I would prefer not to swell the 1K ranks any more.

UA runs mainline domestic flights with 8 F-class seats (AA's smallest mainline cabin has 16), making upgrades next to impossible already. AA offers 8 SWUs (vs. UA's 6), but more importantly they can be used from any class of service. If you don't get upgraded on int'l flights on AA at least you don't fume about spending double the cheapest coach seat to buy a "W" fare. Finally, AA has some damage control to do because of the bankruptcy. The same can't be said for UA, at least for now.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: VAG
Well, it'd be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

Does anyone with a longer memory for these things know how long it'll take for United to decide to match if they are matching? I'm booking some travel soon, and this will affect my plans (UA vs AC metal).
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Got 3 RT TPACS I need to take before Jan 31. Think I'll go for Exec Plat.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:51 pm
Suspended

if DL jumps on board will that force UA to do so as well, even if they didnt want to?

could be UA wants to see if DL jumps in before deciding on its own if it will
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
AA is doing this out of desperation. UA isn't desperate.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
UA matched AA's last promo on November 3, a full week after AA announced it on October 27, and then only with a higher fare class.

I'd give them a week to match today's promo and a minimum fare class restriction just like before.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
wouldn't you know it -- I booked by first 2012 flight yesterday!!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:07 pm

It's one thing for UA/CO to match the targeted Texas/California/ORD DEQM's but this is very reminiscent of the DEQM's of a few years ago. If you read the T&C's there are very few exclusions and seems like just another last ditch effort by AA to keep elites.

Hopefully UA/CO doesn't match. Although one thing to remember for PMCO elites if they do match is that these DEQM's will not count towards Lifetime Status starting 1/1/2012
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
wouldn't you know it -- I booked by first 2012 flight yesterday!!
The AA language allows flights booked prior to the announcement, so there's hope UA could word theirs the same and you'd be O.K. if your travel is in January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.