Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEQM on AA thru 1/31- Will UA/CO match?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
To my recollection, over the past numerous years, UA DEQMs simply required one to register, purchase a ticket and fly on UA metal.

I have been flying UA for many years and I do not recall ever having to pay for a DEQM promotion.

If I am incorrect, please let me know. Thanks.
-
2005, 2006, 2007 all had paid DEQM. I expect future DEQM promos to be near year end, and require a fee to take advantage of them.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:19 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Not true. SWU's and CR1's are capacity controlled. In theory, UA does not have to make any upgrade space available and typically will make them available on a space available basis. Besides, as we all know too well, these loyalty programs are intended to drum up more business. How many of us have taken extra trips or booked certain fare classes that we otherwise would not have done, if not for the pursuit of higher status, giving UA our $$ in the process.
There's a hard cost to DEQM promotions because of the incremental RDMs that are awarded.

Simple example. Let's say UA matches AA and I fly 25K miles on discounted economy fares during the DEQM promo and 50K miles on discounted economy fares the rest of 2012. I'm using discounted economy fares to eliminate any complications with class of service bonuses.

Without the DEQM boost my total EQMs would be 75K and my total RDMs would be 25K+(25K*1.25)+(25K*1.5) = 93,750.

With the DEQM boost my total EQMs would be 100K and my total RDMs would be 12,500+(12,500*1.25)+(25K*1.5)+(25K*1.75)=109,375 which is an extra 15,625 RDMs (+16.7%).

Plus in this example the 6 SWUs and the extra Regional UGs.

But the deciding factor will be whether UACO believe that the AA DEQM promo will steal share especially among the higher fare paying crowd who just might bee tempted by the higher quantity of SWUs with less restrictions.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by Jet Yi
There's a hard cost to DEQM promotions because of the incremental RDMs that are awarded.
They can always just give EQM and no RDM in the promo... but more importantly, they can use it as a "consolation" prize for the Gold and Platinum (1P/1P+) who saw their 100% RDM get cut by 25-50%.

C'mon, throw'em a bone!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Plus in this example the 6 SWUs and the extra Regional UGs.
I don't think an instrument (SWU) which requires the customer to buy a more expensive fare for the chance to occupy an unfilled business/first seat is an expense for United.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Doubtful...knowing of pending account merger

After already 6 days after AA's announcement I am doubting this will take place.

With the pending account merger and craziness with million miler calculation on the merged account, I am doubting UA/CO could risk having additional "DEQM" event until million miler balance is finalized.

Just a thought.....

Jiburi
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi
After already 6 days after AA's announcement I am doubting this will take place.

With the pending account merger and craziness with million miler calculation on the merged account, I am doubting UA/CO could risk having additional "DEQM" event until million miler balance is finalized.

Just a thought.....

Jiburi
Yes, you might be right.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fivesixseven
Yes, you might be right.
And you're probably wrong! While the account consoldiation issue is there, the programming for DEQMs is already in place for the CA/IL/TX residents for ORD-LAX/SFO/SNA. Removing the route and residency restrictions would be a simple task if financially/strategically UA wants to match.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:06 pm

And you're probably wrong! While the account consoldiation issue is there, the programming for DEQMs is already in place for the CA/IL/TX residents for ORD-LAX/SFO/SNA. Removing the route and residency restrictions would be a simple task if financially/strategically UA wants to match.
Yes, you might be right too.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA GS
Here are my guess/predictions;

1) If Delta matches, then United will immediately match. United cannot afford to be the only one left not offering DEQM. Note- there is much less (i.e. no) speculation on the Delta about DL matching AA. Because of rollover EQM’s, the idea of DEQM’s is not as exciting. Likelihood – Low.

2) If AA promotion is pulling away “significant” traffic from United (and Delta). Since January is a slow month with plenty of excess capacity, incremental traffic that normally would go to UA (or DL) will not be “made up” later on (i.e. backfilled by other travelers). Given years of traffic history, United expects a certain $ from January 2012. I’m sure they are watching their January bookings and comparing against their historic/expected level of bookings. If bookings are down significantly, then this will lead to a DEQM match. Likelihood – Moderate.

3) The delays in responding will also lead to a short term decline in January bookings. As other have posted, they have been holding off making January plans, awaiting United response. In the short term, this will depress bookings, but some of this will be made up as time goes by (i.e. wait until the last day to lock in the advance purchase fare). Likelihood – Moderate (short term)/Low (longer term).

4) If American extends their DEQM through the end of February. Withstanding one month of depressed earnings may be OK, but two months will not. Most public companies will try to avoid surprising analysts with lower quarterly earnings. BTW, my guess is that American will extend their promotion to the end of February as demand is as low (if not lower) than January. If the DEQM promotion brings in significant incremental revenue, then it would make sense to extend it another month. AA is trying to build/maintain loyalty and getting more frequent flyers to try/fly American is a smart move while going through the initial Bankruptcy phases. Likelihood – Moderate/High.

NOTE - If United matches, they may wait until after Christmas (or make them eligible for DEQM after Dec 26th). United can “back fill” those tickets taken up by AA DEQM’s during the next few days, as the planes will be full. There is no financial reason to offer DEQM’s for the busiest days around Christmas.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by PBAudit
NOTE - If United matches, they may wait until after Christmas (or make them eligible for DEQM after Dec 26th). United can “back fill” those tickets taken up by AA DEQM’s during the next few days, as the planes will be full. There is no financial reason to offer DEQM’s for the busiest days around Christmas.
Would be easy to simply match now but only make DEQMs apply to future ticketing (or to tickets issued on/after the date that AA launched their DEQM promo). That would significantly insulate UA from revenue dilution on existing tickets for next week when flights are already extremely full and fares are quite high.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Would be easy to simply match now but only make DEQMs apply to future ticketing (or to tickets issued on/after the date that AA launched their DEQM promo). That would significantly insulate UA from revenue dilution on existing tickets for next week when flights are already extremely full and fares are quite high.
Ah, but this penalizes those who already have significant travel booked in Jan (with a DEQM I will be almost plat by Jan end). Heck, if I have some B/Y/D business on UA (which I do) and they pulled that kind of stunt on me I would be almost tempted to get a status match and switch my flights to AA.

Waiting until next Monday makes good sense for sure.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
As they have ran DEQM many times network wide, the programming and bug testing will have already be neatly in place.

I doubt the abject mess they are making of the Million Miler program will be connected to any decisions on this.

Is Smisek and Yo Yo penny-pinching cohorts get their way we'll probably have a HEQM promo.

HALF EQM .......................
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Is Smisek and Yo Yo penny-pinching cohorts get their way we'll probably have a HEQM promo.

HALF EQM .......................
But only for residents of Australia
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: Platinum
Looks like the Points Guy got a tip, the promo will be double awards?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by frankmu
Looks like the Points Guy got a tip, the promo will be double awards?
I received an error as well. If he has the terms correct that is a weak promo if you ask me. Only double RDM's and fare class restrictions. It is probably cheaper to buy the lowest fare available and buy the RDM's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.