Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant Me Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: united

Season Greetings to all-
I'm new in this forum and want to thank you all for a very useful and practical forum.

I'm currently 13,814 EAM short, planing to take a business trip next week to PDX via SFO. Then do a MR to SFO on Tue 20. I believe this will give me -69 EQM short of 75K for Premier Exec.
Do you think they will let me have it at 69EQM short?
Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Maybe. Just to be safe, however, you can do the following:

1) Link your UA and CO accounts
2) Purchase a (refundable) ticket on continental.com for the shortest trip you can find
3) Purchase the OnePass Maximizer option to get additional elite miles
4) Confirm purchase
5) Miles are supposed to be credited within 24 hours of purchase. Once miles post, refund the ticket.

You can also do this with a non-refundable ticket, as you can refund with no penalty within 24 hours.

Welcome to FT!

P.S. You will be Premier Exec at 50k miles, however, that will only convert to Premier Gold in the new program. At 75k, you'll still be Premier Exec for now, but will get 2 CR-1 (regional upgrade certificates) and will convert to Premier Platinum, which is significantly (imo) better than Premier Gold.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by tracker01
Season Greetings to all-
I'm new in this forum and want to thank you all for a very useful and practical forum.

I'm currently 13,814 EAM short, planing to take a business trip next week to PDX via SFO. Then do a MR to SFO on Tue 20. I believe this will give me -69 EQM short of 75K for Premier Exec.
Do you think they will let me have it at 69EQM short?
Thanks!
Welcome to FT! Yes, I believe they will give it to you. They don't publish what the "grace" is but many people quite a bit further away than 69 miles have gotten the bump up anyway. Note, you won't earn the 2 regional upgrades that you'd get by crossing 75k..so from that standpoint you might rethink your mileage run a bit and cross the finish line... 2 regionals is worth it.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There's a chance they will give it to you, they have given us more status for being more than 69 miles short in the past, but of course there's a chance they won't. If you really want the extra benefits for platinum, I would schedule another run to get one more flight in to be sure. There's no way anybody except the people at United can tell you if they will extend benefits to those "almost there" again.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:42 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
tracker01, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Also see this active thread as to UA upping M+ members though a bit short of required EQMs. But I also share the advice not to count on such a rounding up, though with less than 100 EQMs needed, if we just look at history, you'd have a good chance of persuading United.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1013218
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
You can also do this with a non-refundable ticket, as you can refund with no penalty within 24 hours.

Welcome to FT!

You can do it with a Reward ticket also! Very much worth the price.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:31 pm

I'd do this just to save the hassle. It shouldn't be that much, and frankly, getting a 'pass' really would rely on the agent you get at the other end of the phone.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advices.

I made a typo, it supposed to be 50K miles, not 75K.

BTW - I found out that my next week business trip was booked in fare code H (not Y as normally). Is this mean I will not get the 150% EQM for this IAD-PDX trip?
I hope not, otherwise, I need 2 MR's to the West Coast!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:39 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
You're correct in that an H-fare ticket will not earn bonus EQMs.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Ocn Vw 1K.

Now I need a MR for 7,876 miles!
I'm been looking in the MR forum and it seems that time is running out!
Any suggestion?

Good News!
I recount all my mileages from all sources and found that I will get 5K EQM from my Chase Mileage Plus Visa for spending 35K this year. Also, I bought a ticket to Australia with my new Explorer card, so when I called Chase Mileage Plus, the rep was nicely made the request to award me the 1,500 EQM for this (she said since I have been a longtime customer, there should not be an issue!).

So no MR is needed after my last business this week!

Thanks all again for your help and Merry Christmas!:-:

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 13, 2011 at 5:48 am Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Also, I bought a ticket to Australia with my new Explorer card, so when I called Chase Mileage Plus, the rep was nicely made the request to award me the 1,500 EQM for this (she said since I have been a longtime customer, there should not be an issue!). ...
this would be most unusual. Did the agent give you an idea when this would happen? I would be watching this closely.
RDMs yes EQMs -- sorry I'm suspicious
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks Ocn Vw 1K.

Now I need a MR for 7,876 miles!
I'm been looking in the MR forum and it seems that time is running out!
Any suggestion?

Good News!
I recount all my mileages from all sources and found that I will get 5K EQM from my Chase Mileage Plus Visa for spending 35K this year. Also, I bought a ticket to Australia with my new Explorer card, so when I called Chase Mileage Plus, the rep was nicely made the request to award me the 1,500 EQM for this (she said since I have been a longtime customer, there should not be an issue!).

So no MR is needed after my last business this week!

Thanks all again for your help and Merry Christmas!:-:
I am confused. 5000 + 1500 = 6500, which is less than the 7,876 status miles you say you need.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

WineCountryUA:
The agent said the 5,000 EQM will be posted 6-8 weeks.
The $1,500 charged to the Visa Explorer on UA.com, she wrote a request to the "Marketing Dep" to credit me with 1,500 EQM because it "supposed" to be charged on my MP Select Visa. She said that since I'm the "valued customer", they will credit me with the EQM, and a letter of confirmation should be in the mail in 5 days.
She sounded very confident and I believe her. I just hope this is all true since I'm running out of time!

The weird thing is that I searched and found the MP Select Visa policy, and it said that once $35k is spent, the 5,000 EQM would be posted on the statement. I don't see it on my statement. Looks like another call to the Chase support!

MSPeconomist:
The 7,876 balance is taking care of in a couple days via a business trip to PDX via LAX.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
WineCountryUA:
The agent said the 5,000 EQM will be posted 6-8 weeks.
The $1,500 charged to the Visa Explorer on UA.com, she wrote a request to the "Marketing Dep" to credit me with 1,500 EQM because it "supposed" to be charged on my MP Select Visa. She said that since I'm the "valued customer", they will credit me with the EQM, and a letter of confirmation should be in the mail in 5 days.
She sounded very confident and I believe her. I just hope this is all true since I'm running out of time!

The weird thing is that I searched and found the MP Select Visa policy, and it said that once $35k is spent, the 5,000 EQM would be posted on the statement. I don't see it on my statement. Looks like another call to the Chase support!

MSPeconomist:
The 7,876 balance is taking care of in a couple days via a business trip to PDX via LAX.
If I were you, I would not count on 1500 EQM from Visa Explorer on UA.com being posted to your account for 2011 calendar year. CSR says many things, getting what s/he promised to you is another especially when it is out of the ordinary.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
If I were you, I would not count on 1500 EQM from Visa Explorer on UA.com being posted to your account for 2011 calendar year. CSR says many things, getting what s/he promised to you is another especially when it is out of the ordinary.
Add to that the 6-8 week timeframe being quoted. That is well into the next year. Even if they were to credit the stated number of EQM vs. RDM, they wuld also need to credit them to the proper year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.