Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant Me Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA Grant Me Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by denuaflier
If you have met your PQD requirements, there is a good chance they will grant this. You will need to speak with MPSC supervisor.
Okay great; I have been past the PQD for even 1K for quite a while. Is there a direct line for the supervisor?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by abhicoolmax
I have all my travel planned for rest of the year, as I am going on a long vacation at the end of the year. I will end up with 89.5 segments this year.

Is there a chance to convince United to extend my Platinum status to next year given I will be short by 0.5 segments. It would be a shame if I have do mileage run to get 0.5 segments :-( -- any advice?
Can you upfare one of your future flights to get the extra .5 segment, or add a connection?

With the current regime, I would not count on any favors.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I would ask for it with a note to Mileage Plus. I had an issue last year where I ended up a few hundred miles short of Plat due to a canceled flight, resulting in a trip in vain. They bumped me up to Plat.

One way is to do a same day change to a connecting flight somewhere along the way. That would assure you of the extra segment you need, although flights with segments don't always show up as options.

In the last few years, UA has also been allowing you to buy up to the next tier come January. May be cheaper than a mileage run, if it comes to that, although I can't find the details at the moment.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by abhicoolmax
Okay great; I have been past the PQD for even 1K for quite a while. Is there a direct line for the supervisor?
You'll have to call in and ask for one (or you can email MP)
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:43 pm

AA just came out with their buy ups...but only to the Platinum level.

Not too the EXP level.
Would UA match that ?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:35 am

Missing Platinum by 500 miles

Hello

First time posting here. I seem to have missed platinum status last year by only 500 miles. A flight with Lot Polish Airlines that never seemed to get credited to my account was apparently booked in a class that does not give PQM and in the end the missing miles with that flight imply that I am 500 miles short of platinum.

So far, customer service has only told me that towards the end of January they might decide to offer the option to buy PQM to those who are "close" to their threshold for status. Has anybody had any experience with this? They told me it is something they seem to do every year towards the end of January (that is, they offer customers who are at 48,000 PQM, say, the option to buy 2,000 PQM to become gold, and so on).

Looking forward to hear your answers!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mattboston
Has anybody had any experience with this?
Yup, and what they told you is accurate. You may be given the opportunity to buy the missing PQMs. It is unlikely to be cheap and no guarantee that the option will be available. But it might happen.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:41 am

Thanks. How much could 500 (PQ)miles end up costing?

And related, additional question. How often, if ever, do they bump up for free to the next tier the customers who are this close? This is something customer service also alluded too, although much more vaguely...

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 1, 2015 at 12:35 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Welcome to FT.

If you're asking if (free) bump ups have happened in the past, sure they have. More commonly in the days when the airlines were hurting, and they needed to incentivize more people to fill planes. If you are asking if they are common...the answer is no, nor should they be. The market has changed, and they can fill planes pretty easily these days. If they wanted to let those with 74,500 miles to make plat, they would change the cutoff at -500 miles to what it is.

As for buy-ups, they tend to be expensive. In past years, I've always seen them in 1000 mile increments, and fairly expensive. It does (or at least, did) tend to go up (per mile) the more miles you need. And whether it would be worth it for you personally is probably going to depend on a lot of things, including how much you plan to fly next year.

As one other factor this year that may affect things is PQD, which because it is only year 1, no one really knows about. But first of all, for you, if you are US-based and didn't hit the PQD threshold, the 500 miles might be a moot point anyway, as any buy ups don't tend to qualify for PQD. Depending on where UA is vis-a-vis their goals for number of premiers by level, it may mean that buy ups may be a bit more favorable (if they didn't hit their projections) or way more expensive/not offered at all (if they are above their targets).

There is a whole thread that should be pretty easy to find with thoughts, etc. on this (which this will probably be merged with). As well, your experience is a good reason why you should always make sure you check partner earnings as soon as you book a ticket. That allows you to cancel right away and re-book at a higher fare level, or at least plan out a way to get the extra miles you need before the end of the year. It is usually much cheaper to do this then wait until the end of the year.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:42 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Mattboston
First time posting here. I seem to have missed platinum status last year by only 500 miles...customer service has only told me...they might decide to offer the option to buy PQM...
If you are made an offer, please aid the community by letting us know the particulars.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As the program changed and will likely change again, nobody here can tell you what will happen or what it will cost.

Whether the buy-up is offered and whether it is targeted seems likely to be based on market analytics. E.g., "do they want you".

Unlikely that they give you for free what they sell others. The issue is not what 500 miles costs, it is the increments in which miles are sold and what you are getting.

It's water under the bridge for OP, but Award Accelerator would have given OP certainty and likely at a lot less cost. But, we won't know until later in the month.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Avis something or other
No gift for me..

I was 1K in 2014 and have been a loyal UA flyer for several years. I have a decent shot at MM this year.

I finished with 99 PQS, 66,799 PQM, $10,000+ in PQDs and spent > 25K on the Club card...

Is this worth making a call?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:08 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Denvercccc
I was 1K in 2014 and have been a loyal UA flyer for several years. I have a decent shot at MM this year. I finished with 99 PQS, 66,799 PQM, $10,000+ in PQDs and spent > 25K on the Club card...

You have to ask? Yes. Call.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by Denvercccc
I was 1K in 2014 and have been a loyal UA flyer for several years. I have a decent shot at MM this year.

I finished with 99 PQS, 66,799 PQM, $10,000+ in PQDs and spent > 25K on the Club card...

Same situation on this end with pretty much exactly the same PQM/PQD for last year. Would be curious to hear your result if you do end up calling.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:12 am

Programs: United Silver, 0.9MM
as i posted in a similar thread, the answer is YMMV but it is possible:

For two different years I was granted level-ups (Silver>Gold) when I didn't make the PQM requirements. On one of those occasions I was off by over 17,000 miles.

Just takes a little social engineering ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.