Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone booked LH F awards recently?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by snic
Has anyone been able to successfully book Lufthansa first class award tickets recently, using UA or CO points?

This thread mentions some problems people have had: they see LH F award seats come up on continental.com searches, but can't book them. Interestingly, the ANA tool does not show the F availability.

Using ua.com, I've been finding a fair amount of LH F in mid-December for US east coast to Germany (for instance, IAD-MUC, ORD-MUC, and BOS-MUC on 12/16), but not a single flight shows F availability on the ANA tool.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has had success in the last week or two with LH F award bookings with UA/CO points??
3 weeks ago, 2 LH F's ORD-DUS (A330)out, FRA-ORD (B744) return for travel in May 2012 using UA miles
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
There's a bug in their system. I just returned from a trip flying from SEA to FRA and back in First using CO miles (booked a few months ago) but while trying to book my next trip I'm finding availability on both the CO and UA site but when I call in I'm told there's no seats in F. When I tried to make the reservation online I got to the last screen then received an error message saying one or more of the flights are no longer available. I've noticed this for over a week now.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Maybe earlier than you're concerned about, but about four weeks ago I booked TLV-FRA-IAD, 744s, saverpass, no problem. (Outbound IAD-TLV is J). 83K confirmed. Happy camper, me.

Last edited by Alpha Golf; Nov 30, 2011 at 10:18 am Reason: saverpass, not easy. D'oh!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tanlines
Well, I'm sorry that you've not been able to book them.

Personally, I have not had any problems booking (or flying) LH F on either the 747 or the A380 when using CO miles for SaverPass awards.

Hopefully your luck improves, because I'm certain you'll enjoy the
onboard experience on both services.

Best of luck!
When was the last time you booked one? Zero real availability for LH F is a recent phenomena.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by tanlines
I've flown 3 separate itineraries in LH F in the past 60 days, and have 3 booked on A380s in Dec. Guess I must just be really lucky.
I believe you, but I also echo mduell's question: when did you book?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
When was the last time you booked one? Zero real availability for LH F is a recent phenomena.
I booked two of the Dec trips about 10 days ago, and the flights I took last week were booked about 2 weeks ago.

All three include LH 747 and A380 segments in F.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Originally Posted by mduell
I think the issue here isn't the difficulty of booking a flight. It's that both the CO and UA sites show false availability on certain Lufthansa flights. I've seen this for over a week now on a flight that I'm trying to book in F. Both sites show the flight is available for a saver award but if you try to make the reservation online you get an error at the last step. When you call and speak with an agent they show no availabilty. Makes it difficult to search for a flight when you get bad info on their web site.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 5:57 am

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
Booked one on Thanksgiving, EWR-FRA (onward to LIS in C), on a A340, tons of availability came up, and had an excellent flight (trip report may come into being sooner or later).

Can produce PNR email if proof needed.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by NCommander
Booked one on Thanksgiving, EWR-FRA (onward to LIS in C), on a A340, tons of availability came up, and had an excellent flight (trip report may come into being sooner or later).

Of course proof isn't needed - this isn't the Inquisition!

It's good to know that you and tanlines were able to book recently. This suggests that the problem of "phantom" LH F award space is not due to a general block. At least some of the seats showing up on ua.com and co.com should be bookable.

I still wonder why many LH F seats still don't show up on the ANA tool, even though they show as available on ua/co.com.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by snic
Of course proof isn't needed - this isn't the Inquisition!

It's good to know that you and tanlines were able to book recently. This suggests that the problem of "phantom" LH F award space is not due to a general block. At least some of the seats showing up on ua.com and co.com should be bookable.

I still wonder why many LH F seats still don't show up on the ANA tool, even though they show as available on ua/co.com.
The running theory on this is that StarNet is having syncing issues or LH is blocking the inventory to some carriers. The same problem been seen by US members trying to redeem for LH F.

From my limited understanding, my theory on what generally happens is award inventory is loaded into the GDS/StarNet, and that's accessible to all partners. CO's website probably shows the GDS data directly, but the inventory loaded into GDS and what's actually available doesn't match. When you try and buy the reservation, the LH system kicks it back because they don't have any inventory in the correct fair bucket.

I won't be suprised if this issue is also true across all M&M fully integrated partners, but I haven't seen any issues with anyone else beside LH on this.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by NCommander

We all know that A340's and 747's are fine. Just enter NYC-FRA/MUC, there is tons of availability.

The only proof we need is A380 award booking, which no onepass member has yet provided, and of course we are talking about a non "aircraft change" or similar situation.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by sillypainter

The only proof we need is A380 award booking, which no onepass member has yet provided, and of course we are talking about a non "aircraft change" or similar situation.
None are so blind as those who refuse to see.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:13 pm

I had booked on LH R/T from ORD to FRA for the last week of October 2011. This booking was made 3 weeks out and changed my return flight the night before the flight. I was able to get First both ways on the 747 with the beds in the upper deck. I was also able to get the flights with a saver award using only UA 137,000 miles! If you never had the bed on LH 747, you got to try it! I never slept so well on a flight! Oh I guess all that Johnny Walker Blue Label, in the lounge and the flight, had something to do with it!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:49 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Booked LH F FRA-IAH a few days ago when I saw it on the CO website. Called the agent, she saw the O availability, and it was done in 15 min.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by marks88
Booked LH F FRA-IAH a few days ago when I saw it on the CO website. Called the agent, she saw the O availability, and it was done in 15 min.
Out of curiosity, why did you call an agent instead of doing it online?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.